Creating a new site on WSS3.0 using existing template from MOSS2007 - The template you have chosen is invalid or cannot be found. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Firstly I hope I am asking the question on the right forum!

I have been developing custom WebParts using c#.net and VS2008 and have MOSS2007 installed. After creating all my WebParts I then created a new SharePoint site and then using SharePoint designer 2007, I created load of pages with my custom webparts on them.

Once the site was completed, I saved the site as template and then created almost 50 or so sites based on my template which all worked just fine on MOSS2007.

Now I have installed all those WebParts onto WSS3.0. I am able to use them all when adding these webparts manually onto the SP WebPart pages.

I was also able to install the template from WSS3.0 into the MOSS2007 using stsadm which also worked fine. When creating a new site in WSS3.0 I can see my template listed under the "Custom" tab. When creating a site using my custom template, i get the error "The template you have chosen is invalid or cannot be found.".

The WSS3.0 is newly installed with all basic settings and absolutely nothing else is installed i.e., third any third party webparts or site template.

I did notice when looking at my template file that the TemplateID in manifest.xml is set to "1", is it something which might be the cause of an issue?

I did try to extract all files, modify the manifest file and change the TemplateID to 10000+. Created the cab again using VS2008 setup and deployment project and tried to install the template, but I get the same error.

Please let me know if there is any solution available for this.

Many Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,

Manish Wadhwani

Friday, July 29, 2011 4:30 PM

Answers

• You can't use a Site Template created in MOSS 2007 in WSS 3.0 environment.  It references things that are MOSS specific and that don't exist in WSS 3.0.  You need to create the template in WSS 3.0 environment.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    • Proposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, July 29, 2011 5:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Friday, August 5, 2011 7:20 AM
    Friday, July 29, 2011 4:33 PM