Custom Relationship help RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have extended the Problem class and form to create a new relationship called 'Problem Owner'.  I've done this rather than create just a new property because I wanted to have it use the 'User' object as its source.

First question, is this a good way of achieving this?

The extended MP has imported correctly and appears to be bound to the User object, allowing me to enter user details in the Problem Owner box on the form (using the user picker).  This correctly displays in the History of the Problem record with a relationship change entry.

The problem I have is that I am unable to search for (using Advanced Search) or use the 'Problem Owner' field in custom views as it doesn't appear as a property.  If I select the 'Problem (advanced)' combination class there are lots of related classes but my new Problem Owner doesn't appear.

Have I missed something?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 9:55 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You have to create a new type projection (take an existing one for problems as a sample) and add your relationship. Then while creating the view, select your type projection. Please don't add too many fields and relationships to your custom type projection, cause it affects the performance of the SCSM consoles.

Cheers,
    Marat
    Site: www.scutils.com  Twitter: LinkedIn: Graveyard:

• Proposed as answer by Aaron Croasmun Wednesday, March 4, 2015 2:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by MartynF Thursday, March 5, 2015 12:05 PM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2015 10:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You have to create a new type projection (take an existing one for problems as a sample) and add your relationship. Then while creating the view, select your type projection. Please don't add too many fields and relationships to your custom type projection, cause it affects the performance of the SCSM consoles.

Cheers,
    Marat
    Site: www.scutils.com  Twitter: LinkedIn: Graveyard:

• Proposed as answer by Aaron Croasmun Wednesday, March 4, 2015 2:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by MartynF Thursday, March 5, 2015 12:05 PM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2015 10:07 AM
  • Hi Marat,

Thanks for this.  I've not worked with type projections before so I need to have a read up first before trying it.

I'll let you know how I get on but thanks for your initial response.

Regards,

Martyn

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 2:59 PM
  • Hi Marat,

I have now created a new type projection and everything is working as planned, thank you.

If anyone is interested I used the following series of video tutorials from Marcel Zehner.

tutorials

Whilst not dedicated to Type Projections specifically, they talk you through creating classes, relationships and Type Projections and it really helped me understand how they work together.

Thursday, March 5, 2015 12:24 PM