none
Service Manager is causing SCOM to send out two additional email notifications

Question

• We recently brought the Beta version of Service Manager into our environment. On the SCOM end we created a connector into Service Manager and created the notification channles so every Critical alert from SCOM generates an Incident in Service Manager - very cool. 

However, we are seeing one problem. For every one critical alert SCOM is generating, we are now receiving three email notifications. All three are coming from SCOM, but the last two are showing "last modified by - and then the Service Manager account".  So, it looks like SCOM generates a Critical alert and sends out an email notification (all good so far). Then, the Service Manager makes some sort of modification to the alert (twice) causing SCOM to send out two more email notifications.

Question: Is it possible I have SCOM configured to send out notifications when an Alert gets modified or updated?  Does this setting even exist?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Monday, October 26, 2009 6:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you mean is it possible to update an alert to force another notification to go out, have a look at http://www.pavleck.net/2008/09/scom-snippet-the-hidden-nag-mode/
    Pete Zerger, MVP-OpsMgr and SCE | http://www.systemcentercentral.com
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:15 AM
  • Thanks Pete,

So, it looks like Service Manager is Updating the alerts causing SCOM to resend all alerts two more time. Is there a way in SCOM to turn this feature off?  Meaning, once an alert has been generated in SCOM, do not resend the notification each time the alert is Updated.

Thanks,
    Tom
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:17 PM
  • Any update on this? Anyone know if it's possible to turn the feature off in SCOM which resends notifications each time an alert is updated?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Monday, November 02, 2009 5:38 PM
  • Hello there.  In the subscription for the product connector have you specified any resolution state criteria?  If you do not specify new, for example, then you will get a notification whenever the alert is updated.  Hope this helps.

- Layne
    Monday, November 02, 2009 11:53 PM
  • Hello,

i have the same problem. Service Manager is modifying the event and SCOM is sending the E-Mail Notification again.

And yes, i selected only the resolution state criteria to "New" and "Closed" in the product connector.

Has anyone a solution for this?

Thanks,

Retschi

Wednesday, January 05, 2011 3:10 PM
  • I haven't worked with Service Manager, but it seems that what you need to do is add some more resolution states.  So for example, once the alert has been forwarded in to Service Manager and a ticket has been created, then the resolution state of the alert should be changed to reflect that a ticket has been logged.  When the SM Ticket gets closed, it should then change the resolution of the Alert to closed.  Then in the SCOM subscription, you would limit it to only New & Closed.
    Wednesday, January 05, 2011 4:09 PM
  • Unfortunately there is no way to change automatically the resolution state in service manager. Any other ideas?

Monday, January 10, 2011 2:52 PM
  • Well ...considering that it takes Operations Manager about 1 minute to send the alert through the SCSM connector, I just set the option to delay notifications 2 minutes. That way it is already edited and only one notification is sent. It's a real dumb workaround, and I hope someone comes up with a better alternative.

Open subscription - Go to Channels - Alert Aging: Delay sending notifications... - 2

Friday, January 28, 2011 3:44 PM
  • Has anyone found a way to set alert aging on a Product Connector itself? We see so many tickets generated in Service Manager simply because SCOM raised an alert but then auto-closed it two minutes later.
    Monday, April 02, 2012 5:15 PM
  • nope.

However to avoid the above issue we changed the scom subscription to only notify if "last modified by" user was System - since the scsm connector has a specific user account, changes made by scsm are not notified.

If you choose the above make sure you will not miss out on notifications, perhaps some alerts are created by other users than system.

Thursday, December 06, 2012 7:11 PM