none
R2 Console 10 mins to open! RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi, got an issue with SCOM 2007 R2 console on XP and Windows 7 taking an extremely long time to open.  Anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes.  All desktop machines are reasonably well spec'd.  There are no issues once the console has finished loading and response times are Ok.  No issues opening the console on the RMS either.

    Have tried using /clearcache and deleting reg keys.  No effect.  Also tried IP address, netbios name and DNS on the offchance is was a name resolution issue but it didnt make any difference.  Nothing is showing up in either the system or application logs.

    Any ideas? 

    Thanks in advance.

    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 8:46 AM

Answers

  • Hi,

    Just an update on this issue.  The issue was caused by a duplicate service principal name.  We had another service account from a previous build with an spn pointing to the same server.  Once this was cleaned up, 15 minute logons were fixed.

    Thanks

    Steve

    • Marked as answer by stgi Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:35 AM
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:35 AM

All replies

  • Hi.

    Where do the problematic machines reside? In the same LAN or another WAN segment? How is the routing done?
    Best regards, Marnix Wolf

    (Thoughts on OpsMgr)
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:36 PM
    Moderator
  • the console can be slow to load if your console is accessing the rms/db over a slow wan link. how fast is the link your accessing it over?


    Scott Moss MVP (Operations Manager) | President - System Center Virtual Users Group | Vice President - Atlanta Southeast Management Users Group (ATL SMUG)
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 1:56 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi,

    All clients are on the same gig switched LAN.  Clients and servers are on their own VLANs though. 

    Incidently, this issue only showed up after we did a rebuild of the scom infrastructure.  We did a clean build with Server 2008 R2 and SCOM 2007 R2 with the latest rollup.

    I will be installing a SCOM client this afternoon on a workstation in the same VLAN to eliminate any VLAN issues.

    Regards,

    Steve

    Thursday, February 18, 2010 4:24 AM
  • Hi,

    This issue has been resolved.  We patched the server to current levels using windows update and rebooted the server.  Clients can now connect in under 30 seconds.  Unfortunately, cannot tell which update ultimately resolved the issue.

    Regards,

    Steve.
    • Marked as answer by stgi Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:41 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by stgi Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:27 AM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:41 AM
  • If you see this issue again, restart the System Center Data Access service on the RMS.  We've seen some customer's hit some similar issues, and restarting the SDK Service makes things much better.  There's a hotfix in the works for this that should make it into into the next R2 CU. 
    Michael Pearson
    OpsMgr Performance Test Team
    http://blogs.technet.com/michaelpearson/

    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of attachments are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:37 AM
  • Hi,

    Just an update on this issue.  The issue was caused by a duplicate service principal name.  We had another service account from a previous build with an spn pointing to the same server.  Once this was cleaned up, 15 minute logons were fixed.

    Thanks

    Steve

    • Marked as answer by stgi Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:35 AM
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:35 AM