none
SQL Recommendations RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I understand that Single SQL or SQL Cluster for all System Center products (CM, OM, VMM, O, SM, etc.) is not recommended although supported.  I have following questions regarding the issue?

1.  Is it really supported?  If not, can I have a link to microsoft documentation so that I can show as an evidence to convince one of my customers?

2.  If it is supported, what potential issues I can run into? Performance, Compatibility, etc.

3.  Is it really practical to do that even if it is a small environment? Especially keeping OM and SM's Datawarehouse and OM's ACS Databases in mind?

4.  What would be recommended in this scenario of small environment? Localized SQL for better performance and quicker recovery time?

5.  I could not find any collocation matrices for system center products on technet.  Before I remember they were used to be there.  Any link with respect to that would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 7:58 AM

Answers

•   The reason its not recommended to use same SQL for all SC products stems from that fact that you should be using different SQL engines for different types of workloads.

You would wait for the report generation to complete maybe in minutes but at the same time, you will not want SCOM alert to be delayed because your SQL is busy performing queries for analysis on data.

So as long as you keep OLAP and OTLP workloads separate and cater to individual recommendations on the products from Microsoft there is no harm in keeping them anywhere. 

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/is-keeping-your-olap-and-oltp-databases-on-the-same-server-is-considered-bad-practice

Shahid Roofi

Monday, August 12, 2019 9:34 AM