Cloning data on a drive that already has replication groups. RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 Windows server 2016 servers that i set up with DFS.  I placed all the files on server A, created the namespace's for each share (department shares)on that server then created the replication groups.  I then exported the database clone, preseeded the content on Server Busing robocopy and completed the replication group set up.  All this seemed to be working fine on initial inspection but when i run a check on the backlog the day after, one of the replication groups has a high backlog and i cant figure out why.  The amount of files has not gone down and its been 2 days now.

I removed the replication group and deleted the content from Server B in hopes i could just set the replication up again.

Can i just delete the content from Server B for this perticular share, robocopy the files again and set up the replication group again or will i need to export the database clone again? since it already has other shares on that are replicating i am not sure and can only find articles relating to setting replication up but not about adding replication groups to a server that already has DFSR configured.

I am pretty new to DFS so if someone can break it down for me what i need to do that would be great.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 9:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Mickybob,

Since according to your description,  5 other replication groups for different folders on this D drive. You could consider to  create a new replication group for that folder to see the result. 

And you could consider to robocopy the files and create the replication group for this folder to another driver so that we could separate with other replication groups.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Mary Dong Monday, February 12, 2018 9:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mickybob Monday, February 12, 2018 10:50 AM
    Friday, February 9, 2018 2:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First please check if staging folder is large enough. A recommended size is 1.5x<size of your largest file in replication group>.

And my I ask the problem only happens to the particular replication folder?

Also if replication of other folders works just fine, you can test to temporarily move the affected folder out of the replication group (if only 1 replication group) or create a new replication group for that folder to see the result. 

Best Regards,

Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 8, 2018 5:26 AM
  • Hi Mary,

Thanks for the response.

Yes this is the only replication folder this happens to. 

The staging quota was set with 4x the size of the largest file but this made no difference.

I have already deleted the replication group and the folder from server B to try and start this one again.

Since i have 5 other replication groups for different folders on this D drive and i want to preseed the data as it has a lot of files, do i need to clone and export the D drive database again then robocopy the files and create the replication group for this folder or can i just robocopy the files and create the replication group for this folder with no database export?

Thanks

Thursday, February 8, 2018 10:09 AM
  • Hi Mickybob,

Since according to your description,  5 other replication groups for different folders on this D drive. You could consider to  create a new replication group for that folder to see the result. 

And you could consider to robocopy the files and create the replication group for this folder to another driver so that we could separate with other replication groups.

Best Regards,

Mary

• Proposed as answer by Mary Dong Monday, February 12, 2018 9:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mickybob Monday, February 12, 2018 10:50 AM
    Friday, February 9, 2018 2:17 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Mary

Monday, February 12, 2018 9:17 AM
  • Hi,

I recreated the replication group and this now works fine.

Thanks for the info.

Mick

Monday, February 12, 2018 10:51 AM