none
Monitoring of Azure Resources through SCOM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Q.1 I Want my Azure subscription and its resources to be monitored by SCOM, eg: storage, Network, ELB, AS

How this can be achieved.

Q.2 Can I use azure resource groups for monitoring for eg. if I will author group for environments (Prod, Dev, Test) and add Prod Test, Dev classified Azure resource group RG_XYZ to that group, will SCOM start monitoring all the resources under that resource group including VM's

Please suggest on above queries.

Thanks

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 8:33 AM

Answers

• Hi,

"Q.1 I Want my Azure subscription and its resources to be monitored by SCOM, eg: storage, Network, ELB, AS

How this can be achieved."

This is the exact purpose of the Microsoft System Center 2016 Management Pack for Microsoft Azure, which you can download here:

Microsoft System Center 2016 Management Pack for Microsoft Azure

You need to download and import this management pack in your environment, configure it according to the guide and you have it. 

"Q.2 Can I use azure resource groups for monitoring for eg. if I will author group for environments (Prod, Dev, Test) and add Prod Test, Dev classified Azure resource group RG_XYZ to that group, will SCOM start monitoring all the resources under that resource group including VM's"

All services within a resource group are automatically discovered as soon as you configure the monitoring for the resource group.

In the management pack guide we read:

"By default, all instances of a service are discovered and monitored. If there are instances of services you do not want to collect metrics for, you can exclude them from discovery and monitoring in Exclude List window. "

and also:

"As soon as new Azure services are released (and older services are moved to the new Azure Resource Manager), they will be discovered automatically. As soon as the services expose performance counters via the metrics API, they will become available for collection."

Hope I was able to help. Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

• Marked as answer by SUMO123 Tuesday, May 1, 2018 7:40 PM
    Tuesday, May 1, 2018 8:59 AM
  • Hi There,

<<<Q.1 I Want my Azure subscription and its resources to be monitored by SCOM, eg: storage, Network, ELB, AS>>> Yes you can monitor them via "Microsoft System Center 2016 Management Pack for Microsoft Azure". This MP for Microsoft Azure enables you to monitor the availability and performance of Azure resources that are running on Microsoft Azure.

Virtual machines, web roles, and worker roles can store events and performance counters into Azure table storage by means of Azure diagnostics. If these resources are configured to use Azure diagnostics, this Management Pack can collect these events and performance counters.

For further about this MP you can read in MP guide which also contains its setup process and this this can be downloaded from here

And for further i suggest you can read this link

And now coming to more on it if you have concern that how can i monitor IaaS, Paas, SaaS, from SCOM  then this is the best link written by Nicole.

<<<Q.2 Can I use azure resource groups for monitoring for eg. if I will author group for environments (Prod, Dev, Test) and add Prod Test, Dev classified Azure resource group RG_XYZ to that group, will SCOM start monitoring all the resources under that resource group including VM's>>>

Since SCOM is a discovery based tool and it can monitor all your resource if they will be discovered from it and MP is capable enough to monitor them.

Please make this second one more clear here, And hope this helps to you :)

Cheers, Gourav Please remember to mark the replies as answers if it helped.

All replies

• Hi,

"Q.1 I Want my Azure subscription and its resources to be monitored by SCOM, eg: storage, Network, ELB, AS

How this can be achieved."

This is the exact purpose of the Microsoft System Center 2016 Management Pack for Microsoft Azure, which you can download here:

Microsoft System Center 2016 Management Pack for Microsoft Azure

You need to download and import this management pack in your environment, configure it according to the guide and you have it. 

"Q.2 Can I use azure resource groups for monitoring for eg. if I will author group for environments (Prod, Dev, Test) and add Prod Test, Dev classified Azure resource group RG_XYZ to that group, will SCOM start monitoring all the resources under that resource group including VM's"

All services within a resource group are automatically discovered as soon as you configure the monitoring for the resource group.

In the management pack guide we read:

"By default, all instances of a service are discovered and monitored. If there are instances of services you do not want to collect metrics for, you can exclude them from discovery and monitoring in Exclude List window. "

and also:

"As soon as new Azure services are released (and older services are moved to the new Azure Resource Manager), they will be discovered automatically. As soon as the services expose performance counters via the metrics API, they will become available for collection."

Hope I was able to help. Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

• Hi There,

<<<Q.1 I Want my Azure subscription and its resources to be monitored by SCOM, eg: storage, Network, ELB, AS>>> Yes you can monitor them via "Microsoft System Center 2016 Management Pack for Microsoft Azure". This MP for Microsoft Azure enables you to monitor the availability and performance of Azure resources that are running on Microsoft Azure.

Virtual machines, web roles, and worker roles can store events and performance counters into Azure table storage by means of Azure diagnostics. If these resources are configured to use Azure diagnostics, this Management Pack can collect these events and performance counters.

For further about this MP you can read in MP guide which also contains its setup process and this this can be downloaded from here

And for further i suggest you can read this link

And now coming to more on it if you have concern that how can i monitor IaaS, Paas, SaaS, from SCOM  then this is the best link written by Nicole.

<<<Q.2 Can I use azure resource groups for monitoring for eg. if I will author group for environments (Prod, Dev, Test) and add Prod Test, Dev classified Azure resource group RG_XYZ to that group, will SCOM start monitoring all the resources under that resource group including VM's>>>

Since SCOM is a discovery based tool and it can monitor all your resource if they will be discovered from it and MP is capable enough to monitor them.

Please make this second one more clear here, And hope this helps to you :)

Cheers, Gourav Please remember to mark the replies as answers if it helped.