none
Proper Exchange 2016 install method RRS feed

• Question

• When installing Exchange 2016 for the first time or as part of a hybrid migration, do I use the latest CU package to install which today us CU14 or the original installer ISO from the licensing site?

Right now, today, I assume I'd have best luck with Server 2016 fully updated, .Net 4.7.2 and CU14 run in unattended mode from elevated CMD prompts on the servers.  Is this correct?

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 4:18 PM

Answers

• Hi

I generally like to stay 1 version behind the latest. CU13 should be fine and you can install .NET 4.8.

Yes, you can run the installation from an elevated prompt, same how i do upgrades and installations.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 4:45 PM
  • Hi gettnmorebetter,

It’s recommended to use the latest cumulative update. Based on my knowledge, CU13 also works well. It should be noted to check the version of On-premise Exchange organization when configuring a hybrid deployment. Exchange2016 doesn’t support Exchange2013 based hybrid environment or earlier version. For more detailed information, refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/hybrid-deployment-prerequisites?redirectedfrom=MSDN#prerequisites-for-hybrid-deployment

Using commands to install  is officially recognized, you can post any problem during installation.

Regards,

Eric Yin

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 10:06 AM
  • I'm beginning to think the service disablement is a self-protection mechanism in CU14.  Its true, it has nothing to do with .Net 4.7.2 or 4.8, both result in the same.  Another migration, same thing.  CU14 disabled all exchange services during the install a couple times.  I'm going to mark installing Exchange with CU13 as the resolution.  CU13 doesn't do this but irregardless, CU14 must be installed in the end so well..  there we have it

Possibly however, the disablement is to prevent race conditions during startup that cause the server to sit there for hours doing nothing.  It could be a feature of CU14.

As annoying as it is to have to set the services with each CU14 install or update, it seems to be working fine.

Yes resolved

Sunday, December 8, 2019 5:58 PM

All replies

• Hi

I generally like to stay 1 version behind the latest. CU13 should be fine and you can install .NET 4.8.

Yes, you can run the installation from an elevated prompt, same how i do upgrades and installations.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 4:45 PM
  • Hi gettnmorebetter,

It’s recommended to use the latest cumulative update. Based on my knowledge, CU13 also works well. It should be noted to check the version of On-premise Exchange organization when configuring a hybrid deployment. Exchange2016 doesn’t support Exchange2013 based hybrid environment or earlier version. For more detailed information, refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/hybrid-deployment-prerequisites?redirectedfrom=MSDN#prerequisites-for-hybrid-deployment

Using commands to install  is officially recognized, you can post any problem during installation.

Regards,

Eric Yin

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 10:06 AM
  • Hello

Usually I agree with the statement that says "user version -1" (ie. CU13) as Edward wrote.

But CU14 is already 2 months old.
    If your business is very sensitive to security, deploy your servers from CU14 as it will protect your setup from multiple CVE vulnerabilities.

Small tip you might already know: if you want a smooth install process use the prerequisites installer script from Damian Scoles.

The script gonna set all prerequisites for you.

Florent

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 3:31 PM
  • Hi, I'm here to confirm with you if your issue has been resolved. If the problem is successfully solved, you can share your solution and mark them or the helpful reply as answer, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Regards,

Eric Yin

Monday, November 25, 2019 10:42 AM
  • I can't say this issue is resolved.  I did another upgrade this weekend and 4.8 was installed by Windows Update.  Was a nightmare like every other 4.8 CU 13 update.  I had to run a looping macro, many services set themselves to disabled.  This is so scary given the importance of e-mail.

If in a perfect world I'd like to know why 4.8 causes the services to be disabled so I can fix the problem before it appears.

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 1:36 AM
  • Hi gettnmorebetter,
    What kind of service are disabled? Any error during update? Could you check the Event Viewer to see the error EventID.
    For my experience, installing .NET4.8 won’t cause such issue. 

Regards,

Eric Yin

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 10:24 AM
  • Hi, I'm here to confirm with you if your issue has been resolved. If the problem is successfully solved, you can share your solution and mark them or the helpful reply as answer, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Regards,

Eric Yin

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 9:10 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Eric.  If it's not .Net 4.8 then it's the CU14 update.  

I am able to get through the install or migration every time.  It's just frustrating for the disables.  It's every install.

Doing another right now.  If it works I'll buy yall virtual lunch

Saturday, December 7, 2019 9:47 PM
  • I'm beginning to think the service disablement is a self-protection mechanism in CU14.  Its true, it has nothing to do with .Net 4.7.2 or 4.8, both result in the same.  Another migration, same thing.  CU14 disabled all exchange services during the install a couple times.  I'm going to mark installing Exchange with CU13 as the resolution.  CU13 doesn't do this but irregardless, CU14 must be installed in the end so well..  there we have it

Possibly however, the disablement is to prevent race conditions during startup that cause the server to sit there for hours doing nothing.  It could be a feature of CU14.

As annoying as it is to have to set the services with each CU14 install or update, it seems to be working fine.

Yes resolved

Sunday, December 8, 2019 5:58 PM
  • I’m pleased to know that the information is helpful to you.

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post so that other forum members could easily find useful information here:
    [Exchange Server > Exchange Server 2016 -Proper Exchange 2016 install method — Summary]

Issue Symptom:
    Install Exchange2016 as a part of a hybrid migration, some service disabled

(Possible) Cause:
    the service disablement is a self-protection mechanism in CU14

Solution:
    Installation of CU13 will not disable the Exchange service, which means the server could work during installtion.

Reference Links:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/plan-and-deploy/install-cumulative-updates?view=exchserver-2016#install-an-exchange-cu-using-unattended-setup-from-the-command-line

Monday, December 9, 2019 1:53 AM