SCOM 2019 - Universal Linux Monitoring MP - Duplicate Items RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have upgraded the Universal Linux Monitoring MP to the 2019 RTM version and noticed that i was not able to open the unix/linux view in the Administration Console, with error "An item with the same key has already been added"

Through an SQL script i realized that i had duplicate entries for Redhat 6 server through the Redhat 6 MP and the new Universal Linux Monitoring. 

To regain access to the Unix/Linux tab, i have overridden the Linux Operating System Monitoring discovery rule and run Remove-SCOMDisabledClassInstance. 

Any idea why the updated MP is discovering duplicate entries (ie RedHat servers), previously to the update this was not the case.

Thanks

• Edited by StonerK Friday, February 14, 2020 3:27 PM
    Friday, February 14, 2020 3:26 PM

Answers

• Seems like the updated Universal Linux MP is intended for the version Agnostic and future release will use the same MP instead of releasing seperate MPs per OS version. Since the RH6 is not supported, i believe that the new MP discovered them since they are not part of the other MPs which are listed to keep on working fine.

The existing management packs for RHEL-7 and SLES-12 will continue to work. The universal management packs will support discovering and monitoring RHEL-8 and SLES-15, and any new platforms that we intend to support in the future.

As a workaround, i have disabled the Universal MP Discovery for RH6 class.

• Marked as answer by StonerK Monday, February 17, 2020 2:10 PM
    Friday, February 14, 2020 4:00 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you very much for the update and we're glad the problem is solved now. Your solid technical skills are really impressive.

Hope others facing the same situation will benefit from this thread. Here's a short summary for the problem.

Problem/Symptom:
    ===================
    Platform: Operations Manager
    Problem details:
    After upgrading Universal Linux Monitoring MP to 2019 RTM version and we are not able to open the unix/linux view Administration Console, with error "An item with the same key has already been added"

Analysis/Possible Cause:
    ===================
    Seems like the updated Universal Linux MP is intended for the version Agnostic and future release will use the same MP instead of releasing separate MPs per OS version.
    Through an SQL script we realized that we had duplicate entries for Redhat 6 server through the Redhat 6 MP and the new Universal Linux Monitoring. 

Solution/Workarounds:
    ===================
    Since the RH6 is not supported, we disable the Universal MP Discovery for RH6 class.

Reference:
    ===================

If you have any questions in future, we warmly welcome you to post in this forum again.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Alex Zhu
    -----------------------------------------------
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Monday, February 17, 2020 1:21 PM

All replies

• Seems like the updated Universal Linux MP is intended for the version Agnostic and future release will use the same MP instead of releasing seperate MPs per OS version. Since the RH6 is not supported, i believe that the new MP discovered them since they are not part of the other MPs which are listed to keep on working fine.

The existing management packs for RHEL-7 and SLES-12 will continue to work. The universal management packs will support discovering and monitoring RHEL-8 and SLES-15, and any new platforms that we intend to support in the future.

As a workaround, i have disabled the Universal MP Discovery for RH6 class.

Friday, February 14, 2020 4:00 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you very much for the update and we're glad the problem is solved now. Your solid technical skills are really impressive.

Hope others facing the same situation will benefit from this thread. Here's a short summary for the problem.

Problem/Symptom:
    ===================
    Platform: Operations Manager
    Problem details:
    After upgrading Universal Linux Monitoring MP to 2019 RTM version and we are not able to open the unix/linux view Administration Console, with error "An item with the same key has already been added"

Analysis/Possible Cause:
    ===================
    Seems like the updated Universal Linux MP is intended for the version Agnostic and future release will use the same MP instead of releasing separate MPs per OS version.
    Through an SQL script we realized that we had duplicate entries for Redhat 6 server through the Redhat 6 MP and the new Universal Linux Monitoring. 

Solution/Workarounds:
    ===================
    Since the RH6 is not supported, we disable the Universal MP Discovery for RH6 class.

Reference:
    ===================

If you have any questions in future, we warmly welcome you to post in this forum again.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Alex Zhu
    -----------------------------------------------
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Monday, February 17, 2020 1:21 PM
  • Great finding ! I found your post prior to us installing UR1 and was able to replicate that behaviour in our lab. I'll take actions to not end up with duplicate objects. I prefer to keep the RedHat 6 MP for now as it has additional monitors for system processes which the new Universal MP does not have.

Thanks for bringing this to the community

Thorsten

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 12:08 PM