none
Error (2916) VMM is unable to complete the request 0x8033810f When adding VM to SCVMM RRS feed

• Question

• I have been facing this issue for the last couple weeks. I initially install SCVMM and it worked beautifully. Now I just added 3 Hyper-V hosts to my enviroment and cannot get them into SCVMM. I tested by removing the agent from one of the existing Hyper-V hosts and tried adding it back into SCVMM. That fails as well.

I have run windows updates many times on the VMM server but nothing changes.

VMM Server version 2.0.4275.0

Also the agent that the error states it cannot connect to is actually the SCVMM server's agent.

Friday, February 4, 2011 6:02 PM

Answers

• Just checked for Microsoft updates and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2492980 popped up as available. This update was released 4 days after my initial post. I installed the rollup and all is working.
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 4:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Make sure the VMM Server is configured to have a proxy server and the Bypass proxy server for locall addresses ticked
    Let me know if that helped!

--
    Hope this helps...

Kurt Roggen [BE] - MVP
    Blog: http://trycatch.be/blogs/roggenk

"pearcy00" wrote in message news:5ad6295c-e37b-4bc6-b890-23641706d0f4...

I have been facing this issue for the last couple weeks. I initially install SCVMM and it worked beautifully. Now I just added 3 Hyper-V hosts to my enviroment and cannot get them into SCVMM. I tested by removing the agent from one of the existing Hyper-V hosts and tried adding it back into SCVMM. That fails as well.

I have run windows updates many times on the VMM server but nothing changes.

VMM Server version 2.0.4275.0

Also the agent that the error states it cannot connect to is actually the SCVMM server's agent.

Sunday, February 6, 2011 1:43 AM
  • That did not change anything. We do not have a proxy server in this environment anyways.
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 2:12 AM
  • Hi Percy,

What is the exact failure that you're getting?  Does the same error occur on all 3 of these new Hyper-V hosts?  Where these servers previously managed either by this VMM server or perhaps another instance of VMM?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Best Regards, Mike Briggs [MSFT] – Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Sunday, February 20, 2011 6:21 AM
  • Error (2916)
    VMM is unable to complete the request. The connection to the agent *Server FQDN* was lost. 
     (Unknown error (0x80338012)) 

Recommended Action
    Ensure that the WS-Management service and the agent are installed and running and that a firewall is not blocking HTTP traffic. If the error persists, reboot *Server FQDN* and then try the operation again.

Same error on all 3 servers. Server are fresh installs of Server 2008 Hyper-V R2.
    Monday, February 21, 2011 3:08 PM
  • That error is really a WinRM error that indicates that a connection cannot be made to the server intended to become a managed host.  On each of the cluster nodes, open an elevated command prompt and type "winrm qc".  This will configure WinRM and set the appropriate listeners.  Then try to bring those servers under management.  If that fails, download and run the VMMCA on the VMM server and target all 3 cluster nodes.  You can download the VMMCA at the following link.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=02d83950-c03d-454e-803b-96d1c1d5be24&displaylang=en

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Best Regards, Mike Briggs [MSFT] – Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 6:11 AM
  • I know a lot of people say this but........ I have tried both of those. I was even able to query WinRM from the management server to the Hyper-V host. VMMCA gave me no indication of any problems
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 12:41 PM
  • It's been a few days. Is the issue resolved? If not, would you please reinterate the problems you are currently running into? The reason I ask you to reinterate is that I am a little confused after reading the thread. There are different error codes mentioned and you seemed to have issues with both the VMM server and Hyper-V hosts.

One quick Q: are the hosts local or at a remote site?

Yi Sun - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. User assumes all.
    Monday, February 28, 2011 8:02 PM
  • Issue is not resolved. Hosts are all in the same data center.
    Monday, February 28, 2011 8:04 PM
  • Are they standalone hosts or clustered hosts?

What exact error did you get?

Did you get the error during or after host addition?

If the host addition went fine, from the VMM server, in an admin command window, run "winrm invoke GetVersion wmi/root/scvmm/AgentManagement -r:http://<host> @{}" a few times and see if it succeeds consistently.

Another thing that could help with debugging is  to collect vmm trace. I am happy to send you instructions if you need it.

Yi Sun - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. User assumes all.
    Monday, February 28, 2011 10:18 PM
  • all standalone

error is above

cannot add host. I get the error above.

Monday, February 28, 2011 10:37 PM
  • To know exactly what you are running into, we will need you to collect trace. The information on that is in the General Forum under Announcements.

Another thing you could try: you can install agent locally on the hosts. Then add these hosts to the VMM server and see if it succeeds.

Monday, February 28, 2011 11:04 PM
  • if you explain how to do a trace I can try that. As far as installing the agent locally and then adding it I tried that with the same result.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 2:40 PM
  • Copy from General Forum:

How to Collect VMM Trace:

Carmen Summers<abbr class="affil">Microsoft</abbr> Wednesday, July 21, 2010 12:47 AM

As you are testing VMM and finding issues, you are sometimes instructed to file bugs or to send the traces to members of the VMM team.

If someone from our team asks you to send them traces, instructions below, you can simply click on my profile and send the traces to my email address referenced there. When sending this email, make sure to include the thread link so that we know who should get to troubleshoot your issue.

If we instruct you to file a bug, you should visit https://connect.microsoft.com, login using your passport ID, and then find the "System Center Virtual Machine Manager" program. From that link, you can select "Report a bug" and send us all the scenario details, the failure encountered, and attach the tracing files.

In order to diagnose a failure scenario, it is normally required to reproduce the issue and collect traces at the same time.

Here are the instructions on how to collect the traces:

From what computer should I collect the trace?

• If it’s a console crash issue,
      • please collect the traces from both the computer where you run admin console, and your VMM Server.
    • If it’s an “Add Hosts” issue,
      • please collect the traces from the VMM server;
    • If it’s a host status (Needs Attention) or VM issue,
      • please collect the traces from both the VMM server and the host in question. 
    • If it's self-service portal issue,
      • please collect the traces from the Web server and the VMM server

What are the steps to collect traces?

@echo off
    echo ODS control flags - only trace with set flags will go to ODS

if (%1)==() goto :HELP
    if (%1)==(-?) goto :HELP
    if (%1)==(/?) goto :HELP

echo Setting flag to %1...
    reg ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Tracing\Microsoft\Carmine" /v ODSFLAGS /t REG_DWORD /d %1 /f
    echo Done.
    goto :EXIT

:HELP
    echo Usage: odsflags [flag], where flag is
    echo TRACE_ERROR = 0x2,
    echo TRACE_DBG_NORMAL = 0x4,
    echo TRACE_DBG_VERBOSE = 0x8,
    echo TRACE_PERF = 0x10,
    echo TRACE_TEST_INFO = 0x20,
    echo TRACE_TEST_WARNING = 0x40,
    echo TRACE_TEST_ERROR = 0x80,

:EXIT

• Save the following code into a text file and name it as "odson.reg":

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Tracing\Microsoft\Carmine]
    "ODS"=dword:00000001

• Save the following code into a text file and name it as "odsoff.reg":

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Tracing\Microsoft\Carmine]
    "ODS"=dword:00000000

• Copy the above three files onto your VMM server, your host in question and your Web server (if it's a self-service portal issue).
    • In a command window on the machine that you want to capture VMM tracing, run “odson.reg” and “odsflags.cmd 255”. (If you need to collect traces for both VMM Server and the host or the Web server, make sure to run these commands on all computers.)
    • Open DebugView and run it as administrator, make sure that in its Capture menu, you have both "Capture Win32" and "Capture Global Win32" checked. You should be able to see tracing from the VMM components showing up in the DebugView. (If you need to collect traces for both VMM Server and the host, make sure to do these steps on all computers.)
    • Restart vmmservice on VMM server with “net stop vmmservice” and “net start vmmservice”.
    • Restart the agent service on the host with “net stop vmmagent” and “net start vmmagent”.
    • Restart the IIS service on the Web server with "iisreset".
    • Reproduce the issue that you found.
    • Save the output from the DebugView to a text file and email it to the people who can help you diagnose the issue.
    • Don't forget to turn off the tracing after you are done collecting by running "odsoff.reg" on the machine

Thank you for testing our product and helping us make it better.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 5:26 PM
  • Just checked for Microsoft updates and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2492980 popped up as available. This update was released 4 days after my initial post. I installed the rollup and all is working.
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 4:22 PM
  • Good to know that System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 hotfix rollup package helps in this case. Thank you for the update. Glad that the issue is resolved.
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 7:04 PM