none
Long delay when starting SCOM Console on isolated network RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

We have an installation of SCOM 2007 R2 CU4 on an isolated network. The problem is that it takes about 90 seconds to start the SCOM console or the Authoring console. When they eventually start the function is fine but it takes too long to start it up.

I noticed that these consoles are .NET applications so I looked for clues why this happened. One link that led me in one direction was http://www.zeroc.com/faq/slowDotNetStart.html

It talks about disabling Authenticode checking by putting

<configuration>
      <runtime>
        <generatePublisherEvidence enabled="false"/>
     </runtime>
    </configuration>

into the applications CONFIG-file. I looked for a .CONFIG file for Microsoft.MOM.UI.Console.exe but thers was none. However, the Authoring console had one and I put the block above (just the runtime part) last in the file Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.UI.MPAuthoring.exe.config and tried starting the Authoring console.

Guess what; It snapped up on the screen and started with no delay at all!

So, strengthened by this I saw that this was a possible solution. But what about the SCOM Console? It had no .CONFIG file but since it is a .NET application I figured it could use one so I created the file Microsoft.MOM.UI.Console.exe.config in the same directory as the .EXE file with the content of:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <configuration>
    <runtime>
        <generatePublisherEvidence enabled="false"/>
    </runtime> 	
    </configuration>

Tried starting the console and this time the SCOM console immediately appeared on the screen !! No delay at all!!

So it seems that the consoles have some dependencies on access to the Internet.

The questions are:

• Will it lead to any other problems by doing the above things ?
    • Does it have some implications to use "generatePublisherEvidence enabled="false" in the mentioned .CONFIG files in order to get a speedy startup of the consoles?

Regards S-E B

Friday, February 18, 2011 9:26 AM

All replies

• Thank you for the feedback.  I am checking with the perf team and will get back to you if this is OK.

Rob

Rob Kuehfus | System Center Operations Manager | Setup and Deployment Program Manager
    Friday, February 18, 2011 3:51 PM
  • Hi,

That is interesting Seb ! Good point ! I was just dealing with console startup performance when I saw your post. It works just fine on my side also.

Let's just wait for Rob's answer now :)

Regards.

Supervize Me ©
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 10:49 AM
  • I'm hardly on an isolated network from my RMS and I tried this and the console definitely seems faster with this. I'll keep it in place for a few days and report back if it does anything screwy.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration"
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:10 PM
  • Hi again,

is there some feedback from Microsoft regarding this issue?

I can only say that I have been using this configuration now for a while and I have not seen any problems at all.

Regards S-E B

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:57 PM
  • Hey Zeb,

Is this issue resolved?  It has been open for some time.  Would like to close if it's no longer a problem.

Regards, Blake Email: mengotto<at>hotmail.com Blog: http://discussitnow.wordpress.com/
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 12:36 AM
  • Hi Blake,

No, the initial questions are not resolved. I wrote in my first post:

---------The questions are:

• Will it lead to any other problems by doing the above things ?
    • Does it have some implications to use "generatePublisherEvidence enabled="false" in the mentioned .CONFIG files in order to get a speedy startup of the consoles?

-----------------

and then Rob Kuehfus, Microsoft answered:

-------  

----------Thank you for the feedback.  I am checking with the perf team and will get back to you if this is OK.

---------

I have not received any statements whether this is supported or not, and that was the purpose with my questions. I myself together with others have noticed the problems and I have presented a solution to these problems that seem to work just fine, but I wanted Microsofts opinion about them.

Regards S-E B

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 6:28 AM
  • Curious if this was addressed in 2012
    Monday, March 19, 2012 10:05 PM
  • I noticed the .config file is now present but didn't check if the generatePublisherEvidence parameter is configured. I'll check at a customer tomorow

Supervize Me ©

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 10:17 AM
  • Checked in my lab and the file is there but I didn't find the parameter.

This is an upgraded environment, don't know if it matters...

//M

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 10:24 AM