none
Install .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows Server 2012 behind the firewall does not recognize sources folder. The source files could not be found.

Question

• Good Day, 

I am trying to install the .NET 3.5 Framework on Windows Server 2012.  I have tried all of the available dism options and it still does not work.  The Server Manager dialog continues not to recognize my local sources folder, and the installation fails.  I have tried installing through powershell, and this fails too.  It cannot download the source files!  

I am behind a corporate firewall, so I am being blocked from the internet.

Dism.exe runs and I get 65% enabled.  The .NET framework remains uninstalled, and the Server Manager dialog fails to complete.

I get: "The Source Files could not be found" (In Server manager Installation Progress screen)

I also get: "Do you need to specify an alternate source path? One or more installation selections are missing source files on the destination..."  (Confirm installation selections

screen)

I have tried powershell scripts, the server manager dialog and dism.  All of these are failing.

Please help!

Thank You

Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre Fouché

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 5:47 PM

Answers

• I am pretty sure that I installed .NET framework 3.5 on the eval, but it has been quite a while since I did it.

One thing I noted is that is appears that you may have used retail or volume media to upgrade 2012 to 2012 R2.  YOu don't explicitly state that, but I know there are different issues in upgrading to an eval from a licensed copy, so I am making the assumption that you did use production media.  Then you say that you copied the \source\sxs file from the evaluation media.  Did you try using the retail or volume media?  I have had issues when the media did not match the installation.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:23 PM
  • Hi Tim,

I have decided that the problem more than likely lies in a mismatch between source media and installed OS.  The problems on this server are made worse by the Windows Server 2012 R2 OS being installed on top of the Windows Server 2012 Standard OS.  I have made a decision to reinstall the OS from scratch.

Thanks for your help

Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre Fouché

Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:29 PM

All replies

• I'm a little confused by your post.  You say you can't download the local files, and then you start talking about a firewall.  If the files are local, what difference does the firewall make?

Are you mounting the same version of the Windows installation media as was used for the installation of the operating system?  What path are you using?  What commands are you using?

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:05 PM
  • Thank you for your reply Tim.  

- I too find the error message confusing. I am using C:\Sources\SXS (local)

- The media are the same as were used to install the operating system. (The .iso was extracted to a folder which is now accessible locally)

- I will post up the range of commands I have been using tomorrow.  

Jean-Pierre Fouché

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:33 PM
  • Here are the commands I am using:

1. dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /all /Source:c:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

The response I get is as follows:

C:\Windows\system32>dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /all /Source:c:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 6.3.9600.16384

Image Version: 6.3.9600.16384

Enabling feature(s)
    [===========================66.2%======                    ]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required t
    o restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see
     http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

2.  Install-WindowsFeature –name NET-Framework-Core -source C:\Sources\SXS

(Note that this has been run from the powershell ISE, with Run As Administrator)

PS C:\Windows\system32> Install-WindowsFeature –name NET-Framework-Core -source C:\Sources\SXS
    Install-WindowsFeature : The request to add or remove features on the specified server failed.
    Installation of one or more roles, role services, or features failed.
    The source files could not be downloaded.
    Use the "source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information
    on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077. Error: 0x800f0906
    At line:1 char:1
    + Install-WindowsFeature –name NET-Framework-Core -source C:\Sources\SXS
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (@{Vhd=; Credent...Name=localhost}:PSObject) [Install-WindowsFeature], Exce
       ption
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DISMAPI_Error__Cbs_Download_Failure,Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Commands.AddWindowsFeatur
       eCommand

Success Restart Needed Exit Code      Feature Result                              
    ------- -------------- ---------      --------------                              
    False   No             Failed         {}   

Jean-Pierre Fouché

3.  Using the Server manager Console

In this case, I get "Do you need to specify an alternate source path? One or more installation selections are missing source files on the destinati...". 

If I specify C:\Sources as a path, the Next button remains disabled, and the message above remains.  If I proceed to install, it fails with the following message:

Installation of one or more roles, role services or features failed. The source files could not be found.  ... etc

If I specify WIM:C:\Sources\Install.wim:2, I get the same error message i.e. The source files could not be found

(See the note below in the later post below concerning the use of Get-WindowsImage -ImagePath c:\sources\install.wim to get the image index)

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:22 AM
  • Additional Information:

The above installation has proceeded as follows (I have been handed this server, and am not responsible for its setup):

1.  Windows Server 2012 Standard was installed.

2.  Windows Server 2012R2 was installed, and I understand that the setup was launched from within the 2012 Standard Operating System.  We therefore have a Windows.old folder, containing the previous system files.  I have been told that the source files are indeed those of Windows Server 2012 R2, as the iso was extracted to a folder.

Windows Server 2012 Standard --> Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard Evaluation (overwrite)

Here is the folder name of the .iso extract: (by all accounts this seems to be the Windows Server 2012 R2 Evaluation Edition): 9600.16384.WINBLUE_RTM.130821-1623_X64FRE_SERVER_EVAL_EN-US-IRM_SSS_X64FREE_EN-US_DV5

Questions Arising from the above:

1. How do I validate that the source files are correct? 

2. Does the evaluation edition not contain all of the files needed to deploy .Net 3.5?

3. How might I obtain the correct files?

4. Are there any suggested ways to correct my methods used above i.e. 1, 2 and 3.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Thank You

Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre Fouché

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:41 AM
  • The command line below indicates that we have the correct media:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-WindowsImage -ImagePath c:\sources\install.wim

Index       : 1
    Name        : Windows Server 2012 R2 SERVERSTANDARDCORE
    Description : Windows Server 2012 R2 SERVERSTANDARDCORE
    Size        : 6,837,027,436 bytes

Index       : 2
    Name        : Windows Server 2012 R2 SERVERSTANDARD
    Description : Windows Server 2012 R2 SERVERSTANDARD
    Size        : 11,669,515,788 bytes

Index       : 3
    Name        : Windows Server 2012 R2 SERVERDATACENTERCORE
    Description : Windows Server 2012 R2 SERVERDATACENTERCORE
    Size        : 6,839,715,665 bytes

Index       : 4
    Name        : Windows Server 2012 R2 SERVERDATACENTER
    Description : Windows Server 2012 R2 SERVERDATACENTER
    Size        : 11,668,576,820 bytes

PS C:\Windows\system32>

Jean-Pierre Fouché

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:58 AM
  • DISM Log Output - Seems to indicate that sources are not correct?  (Feature not found):

Inspecting the DISM Log at C:\Windfows\Logs\DISM\dism.log I get:

2013-12-11 09:07:24, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=7768 TID=6460 Encountered an unknown option "featurename" with value "NetFX3" - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::Private_GetPackagesFromCommandLine

This is in response to the following command line:

PS C:\Windows\system32>.\Dism.exe /Online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /
    Source:WIM:C:\Sources\Install.wim:2 /LimitAccess

Version: 6.3.9600.16384

Image Version: 6.3.9600.16384

Enabling feature(s)
    [===========================66.2%======                    ]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required t
    o restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see
     http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log
    PS C:\Windows\system32> notepad C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log
    PS C:\Windows\system32> .\Dism.exe /Online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3 /
    Source:WIM:C:\Sources\Install.wim:2 /LimitAccess

It would appear that the sources are incorrect?

Jean-Pierre Fouché

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:14 AM
  • Cannot Install .Net Framework 3.5 on the Evaluation Edition:

At least one other user has made a comment that he cannot install Framework 3.5 on the Evaluation Edition:  http://www.danielclasson.com/install-net-framework-35-server-2012/comment-page-2/#comment-1292 (See Peter's post in October)

Jean-Pierre Fouché

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:19 AM
  • I am pretty sure that I installed .NET framework 3.5 on the eval, but it has been quite a while since I did it.

One thing I noted is that is appears that you may have used retail or volume media to upgrade 2012 to 2012 R2.  YOu don't explicitly state that, but I know there are different issues in upgrading to an eval from a licensed copy, so I am making the assumption that you did use production media.  Then you say that you copied the \source\sxs file from the evaluation media.  Did you try using the retail or volume media?  I have had issues when the media did not match the installation.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:23 PM
  • Hi Tim,

I have decided that the problem more than likely lies in a mismatch between source media and installed OS.  The problems on this server are made worse by the Windows Server 2012 R2 OS being installed on top of the Windows Server 2012 Standard OS.  I have made a decision to reinstall the OS from scratch.

Thanks for your help

Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre Fouché

Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:29 PM
  • I have had this exact problem as described by Jean.  Jean, you have done an excellent job in documenting this issue.

I have now spent 2 days trying many options gathered from forums and sites with no success.  It's very disappointing that Microsoft went from a clean install with 2008, to an absolute mess with 2012.  Sorry for the poke, but great frustration has set in.  I'm not seeing any real solid responses from Microsoft about this.  If you know of one or a link, please share it.  You would be the hero of the day.

Thanks

Louis Lindsay

Friday, February 7, 2014 8:01 PM
  • 1. Powershell (As Admin)

Install-WindowsFeature Net-Framework-Core -source D:\sources\sxs or "UNC path " if you have

2. Old Fashion Command Line (As Admin)

DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:d:\sources\sxs

Using Powershell you can verify the install by running Get-WindowsFeature from within PS, you will notice something similar to this;

[X] .NET Framework 3.5 Features NET-Framework-Features   Installed
    [X] .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)  NET-Framework-Core Installed

Without the LimitAccess option the DISM will try to connect to Windows update whether that is on you network or via internet connection.

Copied

Good luck

• Proposed as answer by brainfart Wednesday, April 9, 2014 4:16 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by brainfart Wednesday, April 9, 2014 4:16 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Roger-Acruity Tuesday, October 27, 2015 2:38 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Roger-Acruity Tuesday, October 27, 2015 2:38 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Lars Lundstrom Wednesday, December 13, 2017 7:22 AM
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:41 PM
  • I had the same problem as all of the post here. What I found worked but cannot find anything on the net about it is as follows.

Use the Add Roles and Features Wizard and specify an alternate source path as indicated. Make sure to include the following \ after SxS (Source\SxS\). Then this is where I can find no documentation but on the yellow line at top that says “Do you need to specify an alternate source path? ….” Click the “X” at end of line to clear and then install. Works every time for me!

Cliff Meyer

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 4:17 PM
  • Hello all.

As i found, you just need to specify Alternate installation path as D:\sources\sxs\ (I assumed D: is your dvd drive or virtual drive and Windows 2012 image is inserted)

Monday, May 12, 2014 8:38 AM
  • Hello Everyone,

For everyone has tried all of the above steps and still unable to get .net 3.5 installed these steps may help. 

Background:

We had a vMware VM, OS server 2012 R2  that needed .net 3.5 for a backup application. 

I was trying to specify the source to the cd-rom drive of the server. I was using a 2012 R2 ISO from our datastore. I had it pointed to this cd drive location and was getting all of these same errors. 

I used this article (below) to download the ISO from the datastore to the local disk on the server.

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vcli.examples.doc_50%2Fcli_manage_files.5.8.html

Once I had the ISO on the C drive of the server, I un-zipped the files to a folder on C:\2012.

So my final command was dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /all /Source:c:\2012\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

This was the only way that I could get .net 3.5 to install. 

Hope this helps anyone having this issue!

Thanks,
    Jason T.

Escalation Technician.

Emergent Networks

• Proposed as answer by fmusiel Saturday, August 9, 2014 9:45 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by fmusiel Saturday, August 9, 2014 9:45 PM
    • Proposed as answer by fmusiel Saturday, August 9, 2014 9:46 PM
    Thursday, July 24, 2014 9:44 PM
  • I just wanted to confirm that Jason T.'s method worked for me as well. I tried everything I could think of and nothing else worked. I tried downloading the 3.5 installer, sharing a folder with the ISO and mounting that ISO, copying the ISO locally and mounting that, inserting a disc and selecting the source location. With all of these methods I tried the powershell command, the cmd command, and the add roles and features command - selecting the source\sxs\ location. They all failed... The only thing that worked was to insert a 2012 R2 disc > copying the contents of the disc to the local C: drive > running the CMD command: dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /all /Source:c:\*thefolder*\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

I'm not sure why it is so picky, but it seems the content from the 2012 install disc has to actually reside in a folder ON the hard drive - not via share or disc.

Just to be clear, this was for framework 3.5 on a virtual 2012 R2 server, so it might possibly work on a physical server with a physical dvd drive.

-Jason

Network Technician

Friday, August 22, 2014 3:04 PM
  • I had the same issues install failing from DVD (definitely the correct media) and even local install failed.

Disabling WSUS managed updates on this machine fixed the issue and I was able to install as normal via add roles/features in server manager.

• Edited by stefanjagger Friday, September 19, 2014 12:59 PM
    • Proposed as answer by stefanjagger Friday, September 19, 2014 12:59 PM
    Friday, September 19, 2014 12:58 PM
  • Stefan,

I honestly cannot believe that yours is the only post I can find anywhere related to WSUS.  I tried EVERYTHING and nothing worked.  Your post did the trick.  I removed WSUS policies for this server, peformed gpupdate /force and then confirmed that Windows Update was not configured by the administrator.  At that point, this worked for me:

dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /all /Source:c:\*thefolder*\sources\sxs

Thanks!

• Proposed as answer by Peter Klötzer Tuesday, October 7, 2014 7:32 AM
    Friday, September 19, 2014 8:55 PM
  • I tried putting the path in every way imaginable (with uppercase, lower case, a slash at the end etc...)
    I tried copying the DVD folder locally
    I tried removing WSUS options
    I tried using the powershell commands
    Even with access to the internet, adding the .net 3.5 feature always failed.

This is on a vanilla 2012 R2 installation that is only joined to a domain, vmware tools, fully patched and has SEP installed.

After fighting with this for a day (on and off with daily disturbances) I reinstalled the operating system and the first thing I did was add the .net 3.5 feature and it worked.

There's no problem with the commands or the media. There has to be a patch or something else that prevents the feature from being installed. It's a really annoying problem for something that should be very simple to do.

Monday, September 29, 2014 9:46 PM
  • Did you try installing as local admin, lowering uac, also local security settings

Server Manager – Tools – Local Security Policy – Security Options

• Edited by cuchulain73 Thursday, October 2, 2014 8:21 AM
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 8:21 AM
  • I uninstalled update "KB2966828" and after that I was able to install .NET3.5 feature.
    • Proposed as answer by Peter Klötzer Tuesday, October 7, 2014 2:53 PM
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 6:04 AM
  • Hi@all,

i'm using W2K12R2 with SP1 and matching installation media.

I was only able to install via

wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:2966828 /quiet /log /norestart
    $SourcePath = "%Temp%\sxs"
    Install-WindowsFeature NET-Framework-Core –Source $SourcePath

Without uninstalling KB there was no chance to get a successfull installation - i tried all methods described above in other posts.

Note: There are two installation media available for 2012 R2 - one with Update 1 and another one without. You must take source files from media with Update 1 when you have installed this update.

Kind regards,

Peter

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 7:32 AM
  • I have also troubleshooted this problem, using endless hours, spent on pulling my hair out.

This indeed is a complicated issue.

I have found that the problem relies in different content of the SxS directories, depending on what image you download from Microsoft. As Jean-Pierre has written, there is a 2012 R2 image, and one with Update one embedded, containing all the cumulative updates. Besides these images, there are also evaluation images etc.

For me the issue we are all referring to, was solved by using the SxS directory from a 2012 R2 evaluation image.

So for all you frustrated people, i would really recommend to download one of each image, extract the SxS directory from each, end then try all 3 versions, using the dism command. Because they all contain a different amount of files and data, which emphasizes the different sources.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 1:18 PM
  • The issue is entirely around a security patch that has been pushed for Windows 2012 R2 (perhaps for non-R2, but my issue was with W2K12 R2).  

In my case, I had already enabled the .NET 4.x feature.  So, after running Windows update, it applied the fix found in KB2966828.  

However, according to that KB: This update resolves a vulnerability in the Microsoft .NET Framework that could bypass the Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR) security feature if a user goes to a specially crafted website.

So, in order to install .NET 3.5, you need to "un-install" that patch.  The automated Microsoft way of doing this is to apply the patch found here:  https://support2.microsoft.com/kb/3005628.

This will uninstall the KB2966828 patch and then you can install the .NET 3.5 feature.  Of course, I would recommend running Windows update after the install so it will (or at least should) re-apply the patch from KB2966828.  

It worked for me, so I hope it helps someone else!  Good luck!!

• Proposed as answer by Erik Nettekoven Wednesday, October 22, 2014 3:44 PM
    Wednesday, October 8, 2014 8:15 PM
  • Peter Klotzer, this worked like a dream!!!  Easy to uninstall a patch and install .NET 3.5.  I'd rather do that than get all complicated.  And I got all complicated like the others suggest and was not successful.
    Thursday, October 9, 2014 10:17 PM

• So, in order to install .NET 3.5, you need to "un-install" that patch.  The automated Microsoft way of doing this is to apply the patch found here:  https://support2.microsoft.com/kb/3005628.

This will uninstall the KB2966828 patch and then you can install the .NET 3.5 feature.  Of course, I would recommend running Windows update after the install so it will (or at least should) re-apply the patch from KB2966828.  

Installing .NET 3.5 worked after I applied the KB3005628 using Windows Update. After installing .NET 3.5, re-checking for updates using Windows Update will show KB2966828 as available again. I can confirm your solution! Thanks!
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 3:44 PM
  • Running https://support2.microsoft.com/kb/3005628 fix the problem. Thanks for the tip.
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 2:38 PM
  • When having a Language Pack installed, uninstalling patches KB2966828 (Etc), or installing KB3005628 will not work either. It still will result in a 0x800f0906. 

You will have to uninstall the language pack and then the installation will run "normally".  

Thursday, March 12, 2015 8:11 AM
  • After hours of trying all the suggestions in this post and other similar threads.  I noticed I had a Windows update pending for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 for x64-based Systems (KB3005628). Even though I didn't have .NET 3.5 installed yet.  Once I applied the update and re-ran my power shell command "install-windowsfeature -name net-framework-core -source c:\sources\sxs" the feature was successfully installed.  Just another one of those quirky MS things!!!  Hope this helps some one else.

Thanks,

mv

Thanks,
    MikeV
    MCSE 2012

Monday, July 20, 2015 7:39 PM
  • Oh dear. We are having this exact same issue on brand new servers running Windows Server 2012R2. We have tried the following:-

1. Installing via DISM and Server manager.

2. Ensured the Source is to a local hard drive and not the CD.

3. Used the /LimitAccess option in DISM to prevent update via WSUS

4. Ensured that KBKB2966828 and KB2966826 are not present. (They were NOT listed in the Windows Update window and a wusa to remove them confirmed they were not even installed)

Result - still get the 0x800f081f error.

I'm outta ideas here so the only thing left is to totally disable WSUS managed updates (stefanjagger), look for another set of sxs files or commit seppuku. I am trying to control my tone here but WTF can't Microsoft get something so basic to work without all this?

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 9:59 AM
  • I had an .iso of server 2012 I used 7 zip to extract it to a folder and then copied the sources folder to the Hyper V core server I was trying to get dotnet 3 installed to and then used server manager to complete the install and adding the source file location as c:\sources\sxs install completed. 

lan admin

Friday, October 2, 2015 4:46 PM
  • You are life saver :)

I was reading such long tutorials/methods to make it work and your 1 line fix worked for me.

I really appreciate it.

Thank you

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 8:26 PM
  • Jean, you are Right. I have the same problem and I discovered that DVD Media installation was Wrong because i have tried to install from Windows 2012 Standard R2 and my OS Installed was Windows 2012 Estándar (Only without R2). The solution was to copy "SXS" folder from DVD Windows Standard 2012  and that s work.  Thank very much for you solution.   ;)

Martin Cortez

Saturday, October 24, 2015 4:46 PM