none
Searching all email boxes on Exchange Server and produce attachments RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have a question regarding the searching of all email boxes across the email server on Exchange Server, as discussed in the following link. The question is how to include the attachments with the emails that meet the search criteria? If the body of an email contains the search terms, but it happens to have an attachment, we want the email and the attachment (family) to remain together, even though we did not search the content of the attachment. I don't see how to do that in the link. Can someone please help me out or advise whether this cannot be done?  Thanks!

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/policy-and-compliance/ediscovery/compliance-search?view=exchserver-2019

Tuesday, June 23, 2020 7:39 PM

All replies

• The question is how to include the attachments with the emails that meet the search criteria? If the body of an email contains the search terms, but it happens to have an attachment, we want the email and the attachment (family) to remain together, even though we did not search the content of the attachment.

Hi Dean, 

I tested in my lab by following the instructions in your link and it seems to me that by default the attachment is remained together with the email in the search results. Below is the steps I took:

1. Use the cmdlet below to create a compliance search named “Searchtest” in order to search all mailboxes for messages containing the keyword ”attachment”

New-ComplianceSearch -Name "Searchtest" -ExchangeLocation all -ContentMatchQuery "attachment"
    Start-ComplianceSearch -Identity "Searchtest"

2. Follow the Step2 and Step3 in your link, use the scripts files provided to verify the source mailbox number and create the In-Place Search.
    3. Specify a target mailbox(user3) and copy the search results to it:

Set-MailboxSearch "Searchtest_MBSearch1" -EstimateOnly $false -TargetMailbox "user3"
    Start-MailboxSearch “Searchtest_MBSearch1”

4. Check the search results in the target mailbox and verified that the attachments are included:

Please have a go and feel free to post back should there is any further questions or concerns on this.'

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 24, 2020 5:56 AM
  • Hi Dean,

Just checked in to see how everything is going on with this issue. If it has been fixed, would you mind sharing your solution or marking the useful replies above as Answer so that others who might have a similar situation can benefit from this post? If you still need help on this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 9:50 AM