none
P2V Windows 2003 SBS

Answers

All replies

• should work

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 6:42 PM
  • To be more specific, I have:
    1. One (old, underpowered) machine with SBS 2003 R2 as domain controller, running Exchange
    2. One (really old, really underpowered) machine with Windows Server 2003 running as external web server

I would like to consolidate these via Windows Server 2008 (HyperV) on new hardware.  Is the following the correct plan:

A. Install Windows Server 2008 on new machine and join old domain
    B. Install System Center VMM 2008 on new machine
    C. P2V on each server, above.
    D. Power off each server (assuming no traffic in the meantime; I can guarantee that)
    E. Start two guests on new machine with each server inside

Will there be any chicken/egg issues with host being part of AD but DC and AD guests within VM on that host?

(One alternative would be to add the new machine as a backup DC, promote it, and then being with (C), above, but that's yucky).

Saturday, February 07, 2009 7:48 AM
  • Hi Mark,

How did this go for?  I am likely going to be doing the same exact thing you are in a couple of weeks 

My main concern is SCVMM's need to be joined to the domain.  After you have completed the P2V's you will essentially be booting a member server (the host) before you boot up the domain controller (now a VM.)  Ultimately this probably isn't a big deal but I don't know the in's and out's of SCVMM too well so I can't be sure.

My thought was to possibly make SCVMM a VM itself? 

I would really perfer to just use SCVMM as a vehicle for the transfer and then get rid of it, but I have read some things that suggest SCVMM needs to keep running or the VMs you've converted will have issues?  Any chance you can confirm or deny that?

thanks & best of luck
    Monday, March 09, 2009 6:45 PM
  • having the DC running in a VM and having the hyper-v host in the domain will work.

Caglar --Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, March 13, 2009 5:12 PM
  • I did a v2v of sbs 2003 from vmware to hyper-v and while it took a long while to complete (about 8 hours for a 100GB vmdk file) it went without any problems and runs great on my test 2008 scvmm box..
    Friday, March 13, 2009 10:37 PM