none
Delete Special

Question

• This week we found out what the option of Delete Special does when used on the All Systems Collection, when all of our 2000+ resources were deleted.

How do we remove the option of Delete Special, but still enable Helpdesk technicians to delete a single resource. The Rights we have selected for these users are Delete Resource, Modify, Modify collection setting, Modify resource, Read, Read resource and use Remote tools.

We are a school with a 1:1 notebook program and have a high turnover of Notebooks and Mainboards being replaced. Also being students we re-image 15-20 notebooks a day and therefore use OSD heavily.

Thursday, September 09, 2010 4:14 AM

Answers

• I think there are two options. Either to train Helpdesk to not perform actions such as deleting all resources, or customize the console so that there is no such menu option. I would suggest training the Helpdesk, but in case you're interested the "Delete Special" menu option can be removed like this:

Make a backup and then edit "SCCM\AdminUI\XmlStorage\ConsoleRoot\adminconsole.xml" file. Search for lines containing: DisplayName="DeleteSpecialAction". You will find 3 matches. All of them are parameters  of "ActionDescription" tag and 2 of those matches should be removed from XML (from start tag <ActionDescription> to end tag </ActionDescription>).

To remove "Delete Special" option from context menu of root level collections: delete lines 7787 to 7807.
    To remove "Delete Special" option from context menu of child level collections: delete lines 8529 to 8549.

The above line numbers are valid in original SP2 adminconsole.xml. They might differ if you've customized it before.

• Marked as answer by Wes Heywood Thursday, September 09, 2010 10:46 PM
    Thursday, September 09, 2010 6:08 AM

All replies

• I think there are two options. Either to train Helpdesk to not perform actions such as deleting all resources, or customize the console so that there is no such menu option. I would suggest training the Helpdesk, but in case you're interested the "Delete Special" menu option can be removed like this:

Make a backup and then edit "SCCM\AdminUI\XmlStorage\ConsoleRoot\adminconsole.xml" file. Search for lines containing: DisplayName="DeleteSpecialAction". You will find 3 matches. All of them are parameters  of "ActionDescription" tag and 2 of those matches should be removed from XML (from start tag <ActionDescription> to end tag </ActionDescription>).

To remove "Delete Special" option from context menu of root level collections: delete lines 7787 to 7807.
    To remove "Delete Special" option from context menu of child level collections: delete lines 8529 to 8549.

The above line numbers are valid in original SP2 adminconsole.xml. They might differ if you've customized it before.

• Marked as answer by Wes Heywood Thursday, September 09, 2010 10:46 PM
    Thursday, September 09, 2010 6:08 AM
  • Another valid option is not to give them the console at all. Use Ron Crumbaker's web tools or implement your own interface to perform the necessary actions.

Although at the end of the day, I agree with Christjan, training is the best defense. You'll never be able to prevent someone with privileges from screwing something up.

Jason | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jsandys | http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/jsandys/default.aspx | Twitter @JasonSandys
    Thursday, September 09, 2010 1:00 PM