none
Error Code: 0x8007F004 when trying to install kb2286198 and kb2229593 on Server 2003 R2

    Question

  • I have a 2k3 R2 server running a time clock software as well as network share directories for my company. The server is stuck on an update KB2229593 and I cannot seem to figure out how to get it to allow the install. When I try normal windows update it simply fails, when I try to install it manually it gives me an error, you do not have permission to install on server 2003 contact your system administrator. However I am an administrator on this server. My co-worker who is also an admin on the server gets the same error when he tries to install it. I have found a little info but mostly related to WXP. I disabled my security on the server but still gets the same errors when trying to install. I would really like to get this installed so the server can stay up to date.

    I have tried installing 6198 separately and first with the same errors, as well I tried installing 9593 separately and the same errors. The error code within windows update is 0x8007F004.

    If there is any info needed to better resolve this question please just ask, I will provide any info necessary to resolve this issue.

     

    Thanks

    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 4:50 PM

Answers

  • Just wanted to let anyone know who has seen this topic and either has this problem or seen it and not been able to fix it. After trying multiple fixes I found through various resources I came across these steps this morning and the problem is resolved. Granted this was a WXP fix but it worked on my 2k3 server.

     

    1. Click Start, click Run, type dcomcnfg in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. In the Component Services snap-in, click Component Services, expand Computers, and then expand My Computer.
    3. On the right pane, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    4. Click the Default COM Security tab.
    5. Under Access Permissions, click Edit Default, and then make sure that Everyone is listed in the Group or user names list.

     

    Once I applied the above all updates installed perfectly.

    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:29 PM

All replies

  • Anyone have any ideas, kinda stuck on this.

     

    Thanks

    Thursday, August 5, 2010 2:20 PM
  • Just to add to this topic as the issue is still there, this was a former Domain Controller, it has been downgraded to a file server with a time clock on it. The AU service is running as a local system, I have not been able to find any policy effecting the updating of the server on the server itself. However I did make some administrator additions to the domain policy with no effect on this server being able to update.
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 5:20 PM
  • Just wanted to let anyone know who has seen this topic and either has this problem or seen it and not been able to fix it. After trying multiple fixes I found through various resources I came across these steps this morning and the problem is resolved. Granted this was a WXP fix but it worked on my 2k3 server.

     

    1. Click Start, click Run, type dcomcnfg in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. In the Component Services snap-in, click Component Services, expand Computers, and then expand My Computer.
    3. On the right pane, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    4. Click the Default COM Security tab.
    5. Under Access Permissions, click Edit Default, and then make sure that Everyone is listed in the Group or user names list.

     

    Once I applied the above all updates installed perfectly.

    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:29 PM
  • Just wanted to let anyone know who has seen this topic and either has this problem or seen it and not been able to fix it. After trying multiple fixes I found through various resources I came across these steps this morning and the problem is resolved. Granted this was a WXP fix but it worked on my 2k3 server.

     

    1. Click Start, click Run, type dcomcnfg in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. In the Component Services snap-in, click Component Services, expand Computers, and then expand My Computer.
    3. On the right pane, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    4. Click the Default COM Security tab.
    5. Under Access Permissions, click Edit Default, and then make sure that Everyone is listed in the Group or user names list.

     

    Once I applied the above all updates installed perfectly.


    gonna try this, thanks!

    Insaf Muhammed

    Sunday, April 17, 2016 9:15 AM