none
Add/Remove Programs and Add/Remove Programs (x64) in Windows Server 2008 x64 systems

Question

• I'm looking for a few sanity checks here. On all my Windows Server 2008 x64 systems, none of the software updates show in either the Add/Remove or Add/Remove (x64) hardware inventory node in resource explorer.  Only a subset of the entries are displayed. 

Is there any special steps that need to be taken to display all software updates in the add/remove program nodes within resource explorer? Is this data even pulled back as part of hardware inventory?

I don't see anything stopping it from being pulled back in sms_def.mof or configuration mof files.

Thanks for your help.

-M

Matthew Tinney windowsmgmtexperts@gmail.com (206) 778 4432 http://www.linkedin.com/pub/3/b81/371
    Wednesday, April 08, 2009 8:34 PM

Answers

• Matt, is this resolved?  I'm fairly certain it's simply that the info is not in the \uninstall regkey, but interpreted when listed in the GUI front end on win7/server08.
    Standardize. Simplify. Automate.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 3:03 PM

All replies

• Hey Matt,

Can you clarify something?  Are you looking for "Software Updates" as in updates that would normaly be installed via. Microsoft Update on a non-domain computer?  These don't show up in "Programs and Features" (aka. Add/Remove Programs) on Vista/2008 systems.  Exceptions would be for things like Silverlight, but regular security updates and such aren't listed here.

Please let it be known if I'm on the wrong path here.
    Wednesday, April 08, 2009 9:51 PM
  • That is correct! I am looking for the software updates that show up in Programs and Features on my windows server 2008 x64 severs. They do show up but you have to check the box that says show updates. Is there anyway to pull back this information in inventory?

Thanks buddy,
    -Matt

Matthew Tinney windowsmgmtexperts@gmail.com (206) 778 4432 http://www.linkedin.com/pub/3/b81/371
    Wednesday, April 08, 2009 10:11 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Is this only an issue for 64-bit clients? Do your 32-bit clients report this data fine?

Wally
    Wally Mead
    Monday, April 20, 2009 7:19 PM
    Owner
  • Matt, is this resolved?  I'm fairly certain it's simply that the info is not in the \uninstall regkey, but interpreted when listed in the GUI front end on win7/server08.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 3:03 PM
  • I know this posing is very old but we are also unable to view updates in Resource Explorers Add/Remove Programs on 2008 Servers.

We mainly use this information for creating collections based on the presence or absence of an update but this is not possible as the updates are not listed in the inventory for 2008 servers.

Is there an alternative method or retrieving patch information from 2008 servers that we can use for collection membership queries?

Perhaps Resource Explorer needs an update to accommodate the new inventory method for updates on 2008 servers?

Dave
    Monday, May 16, 2011 10:30 AM
  • This is not an issue with CM07, it is an issue with Wik2k8. The data is not available in Win2k8, use the software update data instead.
    http://www.enhansoft.com/
    Monday, May 16, 2011 11:32 AM
  • I’ve been looking to use the software update data as you suggested but I am getting rather lost to how to create the query. 

The ‘Software Update’ (SMS_G_System_PATCHSTATE) class does not return any information as I believe this was dropped after SMS became ConfigMgr (a shame as this was nice and simple to use).

I have been looking at the SQL used in the Software Updates – A. Compliance ‘Compliance 2 - Specific software update’ report but to be honest it is a bit over my head.

I will persevere to create a simple collection based on the presence or absence of a software update on a 2008 server if I succeed I will be sure to post it here in case it is of use to others.

However, if anyone already has an example of this it would be appreciated J

Dave
    Monday, May 16, 2011 1:45 PM
  • I don't have a sample for you; but I have a potential redirection of your thought process.

the compliant or not data is in views, for reporting needs; that you can get at.  But I'm not sure if that data is in wql, for creating collection queries like you want to.

Here's my redirection question:  Why do you want a collection query?

Here's why I am asking that... Do you really want to create a collection of "all servers missing <xyz>", and then create a custom Deployment Management, to target just that 1 update, to just that 1 collection?  That's the only reason I can see wanting to know that information.  And that seems like a massive way to waste time.  Just add that 1 hotfix to a deployment management, and target the entire DM to (for example)  All Systems.  On the boxes that deserve that hotfix, will install it.

If what you are realling looking for is what boxes, even though you've targeted that hotfix to everyone, some boxes failed to install it, that's reporting anyway, not collection queries.

If I've misunderstood your goal in having a collection query for any specific individual update... let me know why you need that.  It could be done, I guess, with a custom DCM rule to find boxes missing any particular update.  But it's work that you would have to do, and I can't visualize a need for that; but maybe I'm just not seeing it...

Monday, May 16, 2011 3:04 PM
  • I like what you’re thinking and for deploying software updates via ConfigMgr that would definitely be the way.

The original need for a collection was for the deployment of the Microsoft Fix It for MS-10-046, the vulnerability in Windows Shell.  When this came out we deployed the Fix It (50486) to enable the workaround until Microsoft released a patch.  After the patch was released and deployed we needed to deploy the other Fix It (50487) to remove the workaround.  We wanted to create a collection for the workaround removal Fix It (50487) that would automatically populate with servers that had had the patch installed. This way the removal of the workaround would only be available to servers that had the patch installed, thus ensuring there was no accidental removal of the workaround on an un-patched server.

This was obviously some time ago but it did highlight the fact that we could not use the Add/Remove Programs class in a collection to detect patches on 2008 servers.

The need to have a collection is moot now as we have resolved the issue associated with MS10-046 but it has been bugging me for a while how to achieve this on 2008 servers in case we have the need in future.

Dave
    Monday, May 16, 2011 3:20 PM