none
Exchange 2010 MP Reports "Passive" Mailbox Database Copies as Offline

Question

• On a clean install of SCOM 2007 R2 CU4, I just added the Exchange 2010 MP following the management pack guide provided.  Now SCOM is reporting that the 'passive'/Healthy copies of the databases in my DAG are offline.  I do not see a way to override this monitor, but still receive the alerts I want when all copies of a database are truly offline.  

Alerts:

- A significant percentage of the databases within an Active Directory site 'MySite' are dismounted.
    - Server 'MyServer2' has failed database copies. Please check the Context field of the alert to see the details.

Any help would be appreciated!  

Matthew
    Wednesday, September 07, 2011 8:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Matthew:

See Dan Rogers' reponse at this link: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/operationsmanagermgmtpacks/thread/4d926662-0725-4039-88af-7ec30c830a3a/.

Spot checking this in a SCOM 2007 R2 CU4 + Exchange 2010 SP1 environment shows that the offline DAGs do show critical health monitors for offline DAG copies in highly available configurations. Looks like the condition Dan described still exists.

In the case of highly available DAGs, maybe the Database Service State view is more meaningful. The health monitors here will accurately reflect the availabilility of the DAGs. The DB service state view clearly shows which mailbox server is hosting the active copy.

John Joyner
    MVP-OpsMgr

P.S. Let me refer you to this recent and complete list of notes on this management pack:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/operationsmgr/archive/2011/08/18/guidance-tuning-and-known-issues-for-the-exchange-2010-management-pack-for-system-center-operations-manager-2007.aspx

Thursday, September 08, 2011 2:29 AM
  •  

Hi,

In addition, please check both the Exchange Server and the RMS sides, such as in Event Log and see if there are any related errors; if so, please let us know the details.

Thanks.
    Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas LiModerator Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:46 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by mbrat Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:15 PM
    Friday, September 09, 2011 4:45 AM
  • Hi Nicholas,

What type of error should I be looking for if this is expected functionality?  

Thanks

Matthew
    Friday, September 09, 2011 2:30 PM
  •  

Hi,

On the SCOM management server sides, please check the “Applications and Services Logs > Operations Manager” in Event Viewer; on Exchange Server sides, please check “Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Exchange.”.

Thanks.
    Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas LiModerator Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:46 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by mbrat Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:15 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:32 AM