none
Set static IP during OSD RRS feed

• Question

• I know there are number of threads on setting static IP already... but I think my question is a little different.

I constantly re-image a few machines to test out various changes. I would like for these machines to have a static IP. I thought the MDT DB would be great for this. Unfortunately setting the IP settings in the MDT DB-computers table doesn't seem to work. Although the OSDADAPTER(x) settings from the MDT DB are retrieved, they don't seem to apply during the TS and according to the MDT documentation apparently doesn't apply to ZTI for configmgr.

Does anyone have any input on how I can go about this? I know I can prompt for the IP settings, but was hoping to avoid that.

Friday, June 17, 2011 12:52 PM

Answers

• It seems that this is by design, as MDT doesn't modify the OSDAdapterCount Variable, and as long as it is set to "0" no adapters will be configured even if all other variables are correctly set up.

In my testenvironment i'm using the mdt database to store the ip address variables and manually set  "OSDAdapterCount=1" so the Standard "Apply Network Settings" Step in the tasksequence does the job. This can be done using a VBScript or the standard set variable task in the tasksequence wizard before the Apply Network Settings Step.

also see http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrosd/thread/5a151fd9-8475-4330-af3c-7b824981cf21/

• Edited by sseiz Monday, October 31, 2011 6:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by bjohnrini Monday, October 31, 2011 7:29 PM
    Monday, October 31, 2011 6:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You are correct about the MDT-IP address not working in SCCM which is by design, you could use another attribute in the MDT database like ServerA or something and then use a simple netsh script during OSD to apply the settings.

Regards,
    jörgen

-- My System center blog ccmexec.com --
    Friday, June 17, 2011 1:15 PM
  • Thanks, I wish it would just work without jumping thru hoops.

Do you happen to know why this is "by design?

Friday, June 17, 2011 1:38 PM
  • Anyone?

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 12:51 PM
  • It seems that this is by design, as MDT doesn't modify the OSDAdapterCount Variable, and as long as it is set to "0" no adapters will be configured even if all other variables are correctly set up.

In my testenvironment i'm using the mdt database to store the ip address variables and manually set  "OSDAdapterCount=1" so the Standard "Apply Network Settings" Step in the tasksequence does the job. This can be done using a VBScript or the standard set variable task in the tasksequence wizard before the Apply Network Settings Step.

also see http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrosd/thread/5a151fd9-8475-4330-af3c-7b824981cf21/

• Edited by sseiz Monday, October 31, 2011 6:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by bjohnrini Monday, October 31, 2011 7:29 PM
    Monday, October 31, 2011 6:48 PM

also see...

I am not sure where the fix is here? I have added the OSDAdapter=1 but what do you do in the Apply Network Settings to apply the information from the database into the system?
    Thursday, October 17, 2019 9:31 PM