none
P2V Error 13257 in Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 SP2

Question

• Hi all,
    when I try to import a physical server to hyper-v I get the error:

Error (13257)
    Virtual Machine Manager server is unable to convert 172.20.0.10 because required files are missing. 

Recommended Action
    Copy the file SP2.CAB to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2\Patch Import" on the Virtual Machine Manager server, run the Add-Patch cmdlet to add the required files to the Virtual Machine Manager patch cache, and then try the operation again. The file SP2.CAB is located either at %WINDIR%\Driver Cache\amd64 on 172.20.0.10, or on the Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Server 2003 Standard x64 Edition (ESN, amd64) installation media.n/ If SP2.CAB is not available, locate intelide.sys (Version: 0.0) on the installation media, copy the file to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2\Patch Import", and then run the Add-Patch cmdlet to add the required files to the Virtual Machine Manager patch cache.

The problem is that either I copy the SP2 from a Windows Server 2003 x64 (not R2) to the patch imports directory and execute the Add-Patch I can't pass the prerequisites. SP2.CAB doesn't exist for R2 platform because it gets integrated in it.

According to the technet page Windows Server 2003 R2 is not supported.

Is this correct?
    Thanks in advance.
    Friday, September 04, 2009 9:38 AM

Answers

• Solved.
    After trying intelide.sys from the installation media failed, I searched in the server for that file.
    I found it in %windir%\Driver Cache\amd64\driver.cab. Copied to the Patch Import folder and powershell it with add-patch.
    After that, no prerequisites missing.
    Thanks.
    • Marked as answer by Percu_ Wednesday, September 09, 2009 9:26 AM
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 9:25 AM

All replies

• Solved.
    After trying intelide.sys from the installation media failed, I searched in the server for that file.
    I found it in %windir%\Driver Cache\amd64\driver.cab. Copied to the Patch Import folder and powershell it with add-patch.
    Thanks.
    • Marked as answer by Percu_ Wednesday, September 09, 2009 9:26 AM
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 9:25 AM
  • Solved.
    Thanks.

Can you send me the powershell commands? Mine keeps erroring out for some reason. I would like to compare what you have, to what I have. Thanks

My Command:

PS C:\> Get-VMMServer -ComputerName "VMMServer1.Contoso.com"

PS C:\> Add-Patch

Error Message Received:
    Add-Patch : An I/O error occurred while opening the file C:\Windows\TEMP\sp3.cab_2f25e5152a804f85ae
    546eb948854bb2\atapi.sys on the EDHYPERV.elliottdavis.com server. (Error ID: 2920, Detailed Error:
    Unknown error (0x80131516))

Ensure that you have specified a valid path, delete the file if it exists, and then try the operati
    on again.

To restart the job, run the following command:
    PS> Restart-Job -Job (Get-VMMServer edhyperv.elliottdavis.com | Get-Job | where { $_.ID -eq "{52a15
    5b6-ede0-4243-889f-e19cbb0b0b04}"})
    At line:1 char:9
    + add-patch <<<<

Jason
    Thursday, October 08, 2009 2:46 PM
  • Hi,

I also have the similar problem (Add-Patch : An I/0 error occured while openning the file ..........)like Jason B. I used the run as admin, and account that used to intall the SCVMM , but no luck.

Can anyone help me on this pls.

Roshan
    roshan
    Monday, January 04, 2010 10:43 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Did you tried to run the powershell with the same service account that uses the SCVMM Manager Service ?

Regards
    Roshan
    roshan
    Monday, January 04, 2010 10:50 PM
  • Hello Roshan,

I ended up using Acronis True Image to take an image of the physical hardware. Acronis worked great in this situation. I suspect I am having other issues since i took my SCVMM software from evaluation to full licensed. I kind of been having small issues ever since. Acronis has some easy step by step instructions on how to do this with Hyper V. Just let me know if you need the URLs and I can post them for you.

Jay
    Jason
    Friday, January 08, 2010 12:45 PM
  • HI Jay,

Thank for your information on Acronis i never knew that. Anyway I was able to get it done using SCVMM . By doing few things.
    Firstly I used the VMM account to login. and used the original CAB files from i386 folder in installation meadia.

thanks
    Roshan
    roshan
    Friday, January 08, 2010 7:20 PM
  • I'm having same issue - when you say you're logging in under the VMM account, you mean logging into the 2008 server under this name? My VMM account is running under the local system--you running under a user account? The CAB file you're putting up - you say you copied it from the original media - is that the original XP cd or XP SP3 cd? Thanks.
    Friday, January 08, 2010 8:34 PM
  • Hi all,

I'm having the same problems with the p2v migration of a w2000 sp4 server. The prerequisites asks me to add sp4.cab and driver.cab to the Patch import folder and after to run the Add-Patch cmdlet. 

It's what i do but add-patch give me the same error all the time : An I/O error occurred while opening the file etc...

I have try a lot of things but nothing seems to work. Did someone found a solutions for this problem ?

Thanks

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:57 PM
  • Hi,

I'm also having the same issue with a win2k sp4 P2V.  Has anyone found a solution to this yet?

Cheers,
    Andy

Saturday, May 07, 2011 8:50 PM
  • I added vmm computer domain account to local administrators group on scvmm server,

I extracted Windows Server 2003 32 Bit sp2 to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2
    \Patch Import" folder

Restart Virtual Machine Manager Service. Than run add-pacth command.

PS C:\Users\hpvadmin> Add-Patch -PatchFilePath "C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2
    \Patch Import\dc21x4.sys" -VMMServer hpvmm

I Converted machine by scvmm.

I hope help to you.

Thursday, December 01, 2011 11:12 PM
  • I'm having difficulty here getting this error: (13257)Virtual machine manager is unable to convert servername.domainname because required files are missing.Recommended action: copy the file sp3.cab to the "C:\program files\microsoft system center virtual machine manager 2008 r2\patch import" on the virtual machine manager server, run the Add-patch cmdlet to add the required files to the virtual machine manager patch cache, and then try the operation again. The file sp3.cab is located either at %windir%\driver cache\I386 on servername.domainname, or on the microsoft windows xp professional (enu, I386) installation media.n/if sp3.cab is not available, locate dc21x4.sys (version: 0.0) on the installation media, copy the file to "C:\program files\Microsoft system center virtual machine manager 2008 r2\patch import", and then run the add-patch cmdlet to add teh required files to the virtual machine manager patch cache.         so I'm doing a p2v from SCVMM 2008 r2 on a windows xp sp3 pc and get the error above.  How do I properly run the commands because everything i do the commands are not recognized from the Windows server 2008 ent r2 blade where scvmm is installed. I did copy over the file to the correct directory on my windows server 2008 ent r2. So need to know how i should inititate the commands properly or if there is any other options to be able to convert this win xp machine to a virtual.  Thanks,

Friday, December 09, 2011 9:12 PM
  • I've run the power shell from scvmm's powershell and here are my commands:

1. get-vmmserver

2. servername

3. add-patch C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2\Patch Import\sp3.cab

It fails with the following:

Add-patch : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'C:\Program'.

At line:1 char:10

+ add-patch<<<< C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2\Patch Import\sp3.cab

+category info      :invalidargument: <:> [add-patch], parameterbindingexception

+Fullyqualifiederrorid : positionalparameternotfound,microsoft.systemcenter.virtualmachinemanager.cmdlets.patchcachecmdlet

What am i doing wrong?

Friday, December 09, 2011 10:06 PM
  • Anyone want to assist?
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:04 PM
  • JeevanB,

I've tried this and when i try to start the vmm service it fails.

Friday, December 16, 2011 1:44 PM
  • The KB article has a typo in it.  The article says to create the file 'vmmservice.exe.config' and tells you what lines to put inside the file.  However, the first line is wrong, it is missing the ending > sign.  Once I added the > sign to the end of the first line, then my VMM service started up.
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:49 PM