none
active directory child domains and exchange server RRS feed

• Question

• dears,

i have one domain: abc.com and one child domain: x.abc.com

i want to install exchange server.

my question can i install different exchange servers for each domain and child domain?

or am i enforced to use one single exchange organization?

i am checking i can i install exchange server just for the child domain users and exchange server for just the parent domain users

thank you

Thursday, June 25, 2020 7:08 AM

All replies

• dears,

i have one domain: abc.com and one child domain: x.abc.com

i want to install exchange server.

my question can i install different exchange servers for each domain and child domain?

or am i enforced to use one single exchange organization?

i am checking i can i install exchange server just for the child domain users and exchange server for just the parent domain users

thank you

One Exchange Org per AD Forest. You can install the servers in any domain, but they will all be part of just one org.
    • Proposed as answer by Miguel Fra Thursday, June 25, 2020 1:36 PM
    Thursday, June 25, 2020 11:50 AM
  • hello,

thank you for the answer

You can install the servers in any domain: can i install one exchange server in the parent domain and add the users of the child domain? is it feasible to use the same exchange server for the parent and the child?

if yes. then how the exchange server in the parent domain will see the users of the child domain to add the mailboxes?

thank you again in advance

Thursday, June 25, 2020 1:19 PM
  • hello,

thank you for the answer

You can install the servers in any domain: can i install one exchange server in the parent domain and add the users of the child domain? is it feasible to use the same exchange server for the parent and the child?

if yes. then how the exchange server in the parent domain will see the users of the child domain to add the mailboxes?

thank you again in advance

Absolutely.

When you prep the forest, you use this switch to give Exchange the ability to manage mail enabled objects in all the domains

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/plan-and-deploy/prepare-ad-and-domains?view=exchserver-2016

<Virtual DVD drive letter>:\Setup.exe /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms /PrepareAllDomains

Thursday, June 25, 2020 3:01 PM
  • Hi,

Agree with Andy. In general, if we install Exchange server in the root domain, we can add mailboxes for users in the child domain. 

Additionally, if you create mailboxes with cmdlet, you also can use this command to see objects in the entire forest from root domain:

Set-ADServerSettings -ViewEntireForest $True

Here is a similar thread for your reference: I am unable to Create a child domain User mailbox in Exchange 2016.

Regards, 

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 26, 2020 3:08 AM
  • thank you guys

i'm gonna ask a last question, i don't know if you can help with

the scenario is one parent domain, one child domain, one exchange server for both

the plan is to migrate to exchange online, from azure ad connect it is feasible to run two instances to two different office365 tenants one in the child domain and one in the parent domain.

however,from hybrid conf wizard is it feasible to migrate the mailboxes to two different tenants if i have one exchange server for the parent and the child?

can i ran hcw multiple times in the same organization?

regards,

Friday, June 26, 2020 6:26 AM
  • thank you guys

i'm gonna ask a last question, i don't know if you can help with

the scenario is one parent domain, one child domain, one exchange server for both

the plan is to migrate to exchange online, from azure ad connect it is feasible to run two instances to two different office365 tenants one in the child domain and one in the parent domain.

however,from hybrid conf wizard is it feasible to migrate the mailboxes to two different tenants if i have one exchange server for the parent and the child?

can i ran hcw multiple times in the same organization?

regards,

Hi,

For AD connect, its one instance per tenant. Child domain should be managed/routable domains

For Exchange hybrid, it supports single tenancy. Exchange hybrid can be setup with one office 365 tenant. So in this scenario, parent domain exchange hybrid with 1 office 365 tenant and migrate the mailboxes. Later, you can perform office 365 tenant to tenant migration.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ae/help/3070341/how-to-manage-subdomains-and-parent-domains-in-different-organizations

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/exchange-hybrid#:~:text=Exchange%20hybrid%20deployment%20components,-A%20hybrid%20deployment&text=Exchange%20servers%3A%20At%20least%20one,Mailbox%20and%20Client%20Access%20roles.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/mailbox-migration/migrate-mailboxes-across-tenants

Thanks,
    Ashok M My blog

Friday, June 26, 2020 7:31 AM
  • hello,

let's say i dont want to migrate mailboxes, and i jsut want to sync the users to different tenants.

in my scenario, can i install one azure ad connect instance in the parent domain and sync users to tenant A?

and install another instance in the child domain and sync users to tenantb?

thank you so much in advance

regards,

Friday, June 26, 2020 8:46 AM
  • Yes, that can be done by following the steps mentioned in the below article

To manage the domains in this scenario, follow these steps in the order in which they're given: 
    Submit a support request to break the inheritance at Azure Customer Support.
    If you have already verified the parent domain, remove it. 
    Verify and federate the subdomain.
    Verify and federate the parent domain.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ae/help/3070341/how-to-manage-subdomains-and-parent-domains-in-different-organizations

Friday, June 26, 2020 9:26 AM
  • Just checking if there are any updates. Please feel free to mark the suggestion as an answer if it was helpful.

Thanks,
    Ashok M My blog

Sunday, June 28, 2020 7:03 AM
  • hello,

i opened a ticket with ms and they informed that we can run mutliple hcw therotically instances if i have a child domain but its not recommended.

what do u think?

thank u

Monday, June 29, 2020 9:57 AM
  • "for Exchange hybrid, it supports single tenancy. Exchange hybrid can be setup with one office 365 tenant. So in this scenario, parent domain exchange hybrid with 1 office 365 tenant and migrate the mailboxes. Later, you can perform office 365 tenant to tenant migration."

"One Exchange Org per AD Forest. You can install the servers in any domain, but they will all be part of just one org."

for the above, let's say i have one parent domain with its own exchange server and one child domain with its own exchange server, and i ran two instances of azure ad connect to two different tenants.

can i run hcw in the parent domain and migrate to tenanta?

and run hcw in the child domain and migrate to tenantb?

or this is not feasible, i can run hcw just one time in the exchange organization?

regards

Monday, June 29, 2020 11:35 AM
  • You should have asked this is a different thread as its different than your original question.

The Hybrid Config is org wide, so you dont have more than one.

Monday, June 29, 2020 11:37 AM
  • andy thank u

but what if i have one exchange server for each domain? than how can i migrate the mailboxes if i dont run hcw twice for each exchange server?

Monday, June 29, 2020 11:50 AM
  • andy thank u

but what if i have one exchange server for each domain? than how can i migrate the mailboxes if i dont run hcw twice for each exchange server?

Because all the Exch Servers in the same org use and can see the same org settings since its forest wide.
    Monday, June 29, 2020 11:52 AM
  • yes true

but in this way how can i migrate each exchange server mailboxes to a different office365 tenant?

running hcw will create connectors in one tenant therefore i will migrate mailboxes from parent domain or child domain to this tenant.

but what will happen to the other part? mailboxes from parent or child to the second tenant?

Monday, June 29, 2020 11:55 AM
  • yes true

but in this way how can i migrate each exchange server mailboxes to a different office365 tenant?

running hcw will create connectors in one tenant therefore i will migrate mailboxes from parent domain or child domain to this tenant.

but what will happen to the other part? mailboxes from parent or child to the second tenant?

Well, you could do something like this and not use Hybrid, or use 3rd party software are two options.

https://www.contentandcode.com/blog/exchange-migrations-with-multiple-office-365-tenants/

Monday, June 29, 2020 12:06 PM
  • "for Exchange hybrid, it supports single tenancy. Exchange hybrid can be setup with one office 365 tenant. So in this scenario, parent domain exchange hybrid with 1 office 365 tenant and migrate the mailboxes. Later, you can perform office 365 tenant to tenant migration."

"One Exchange Org per AD Forest. You can install the servers in any domain, but they will all be part of just one org."

for the above, let's say i have one parent domain with its own exchange server and one child domain with its own exchange server, and i ran two instances of azure ad connect to two different tenants.

or this is not feasible, i can run hcw just one time in the exchange organization?

regards

Multiple instances of Hybrid means running multiple instances but for the same tenant and not to different tenants. As Andy stated, Exchange hybrid is org wide. 

So, for this scenario, my suggestion would be,

Break the inheritance of parent/child domains and sync to Azure tenants using AD connect.

Setup exchange hybrid with parent A exchange and tenant A, migrate the mailboxes.

For child domain, either go for 3rd party tools to migrate or use PST export/import of mailboxes from child domain to tenant B. 

Also the option suggested by Andy without Hybrid.

Thanks,
    Ashok M My blog

Monday, June 29, 2020 1:58 PM

regards

Multiple instances of Hybrid means running multiple instances but for the same tenant and not to different tenants. As Andy stated, Exchange hybrid is org wide. 

So, for this scenario, my suggestion would be,

Break the inheritance of parent/child domains and sync to Azure tenants using AD connect.

Setup exchange hybrid with parent A exchange and tenant A, migrate the mailboxes.

For child domain, either go for 3rd party tools to migrate or use PST export/import of mailboxes from child domain to tenant B. 

Also the option suggested by Andy without Hybrid.

Thanks,
    Ashok M My blog

If you break inheritance between domains you will also break Exchange.
    Monday, June 29, 2020 2:03 PM
  • Yes, that’s right, Andy. My idea is to setup exchange in parent domain and create hybrid setup and migrate the mailboxes of parent domain. Break the inheritance and sync the Accounts in child domain to tenant B. Export PST of child domain mailboxes from exchange and import it on new tenant. This way, we can eliminate another exchange server and 3rd party tools. Will this work?

Thanks,
    Ashok M My blog

Monday, June 29, 2020 3:18 PM
  • Yes, that’s right, Andy. My idea is to setup exchange in parent domain and create hybrid setup and migrate the mailboxes of parent domain. Break the inheritance and sync the Accounts in child domain to tenant B. Export PST of child domain mailboxes from exchange and import it on new tenant. This way, we can eliminate another exchange server and 3rd party tools. Will this work?

Thanks,
    Ashok M My blog

Dont' know actually! I would think breaking inheritance would be unsupported and make the Exch mgmt tools useless though. If you configure Exchange Hybrid against one tenant, move mailboxes and then reconfigure against the next tenant, that might work, you would have to scope out the AADConnect pieces as well.

Personally, I would go with a 3rd party solution or open a case with Microsoft and let them guide this.

Monday, June 29, 2020 7:51 PM
  • Thanks a lot, Andy.

Thanks,
    Ashok M My blog

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 4:41 AM
  • Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. If you have any questions or need further help about installing Exchange servers, please feel free to post back. 

If you have other issues about syncing accounts in hybrid environment, you can ask a new question and discuss it dedicatedly.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 2, 2020 5:52 AM