How to add computer to SCCM from AD RRS feed

• Question

• OK. the story is : I have a computer already in SCCM, i changed the name of the computer manually (Windows 7) and Deleted the sccm record. Now i want to add the computer to sccm with the New name . how do i do this..
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:22 PM

Answers

• When you change a name of computer in AD the information will get updated in DNS. Active Directory System Dicovery queries the container and then contacts the DNS to retrive the machine record so automatically the machine would appear in console with a new name. If the machine is appearing  with the old name, please check the entry in the DNS. DDR can be generated in to ways: AD system discovery, manually by initiating Data discovery Cycle on Configmgr applet- advanced tab in control panel on client.

• Edited by Adil Muhammad Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:50 PM
    • Proposed as answer by antb11 Saturday, May 25, 2013 3:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by Harry_Tech Monday, May 27, 2013 12:01 PM
    Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:47 PM
  • All systems or under windows 7 collection.
    Saturday, May 25, 2013 3:40 PM

All replies

• Have you changed the machine name in Active Directory, if so the machine will discover in SCCM automatically using AD system discovery.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:07 PM
  • You didn't need to delete the computer from SCCM for the name change to occur. The name change would have reflected in the SCCM console at the next heartbeat discovery on the client. In control panel on the client (whose record you deleted) open the Configuration Manager Applet in the actions tab Run the Discovery Data Collection Cycle and Hardware Inventory Cycle this could get the client to show up in the console faster.

Justin Chalfant | My Blog | LinkedIn | Please mark as helpful/answer if this resolved your post

• Proposed as answer by nickmo Friday, May 24, 2013 12:51 PM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 9:57 PM
  • No need to do anything. SCCM records will update automatically.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, May 25, 2013 6:08 AM
  • When you change a name of computer in AD the information will get updated in DNS. Active Directory System Dicovery queries the container and then contacts the DNS to retrive the machine record so automatically the machine would appear in console with a new name. If the machine is appearing  with the old name, please check the entry in the DNS. DDR can be generated in to ways: AD system discovery, manually by initiating Data discovery Cycle on Configmgr applet- advanced tab in control panel on client.

• Edited by Adil Muhammad Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:50 PM
    Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:47 PM
  • Thanks all , but everyone is telling me I don't need to do anything - but what collection would I find the new computer after renaming it. Thanks guys
    Saturday, May 25, 2013 3:37 PM
  • All systems or under windows 7 collection.
    Saturday, May 25, 2013 3:40 PM
  • Basically, same collections as before (except collections that were/are based on direct membership). But at least in "All systems".

Tim Nilimaa | IT Expert at Knowledge Factory | Please remember to mark this answer as helpful if it helped you.

Sunday, May 26, 2013 6:04 PM
  • Every machine which gets discovered is a part of All Systems Collection. Apart from that you'll find in any collection to which it belonged previously
    Monday, May 27, 2013 11:19 AM
  • Thanks guys! I have checked my All systems collection and i found the computer there :) Really nice.. Thanks once again.
    Monday, May 27, 2013 12:00 PM