none
Windows update while in sleep + on battery RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I just had a windows 10 update this morning while my laptop was :

- on sleep

- on battery

- in my backpack

My laptop was extremely warm as a result, battery was down 50%, and I lost all my opened apps since apparently it had to reboot. This is not acceptable and potentially damageable for the hardware. How to block this ?

Thanks,

Olivier

Saturday, September 8, 2018 9:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you need to move your computer frequently, I recommend you use the Hibernate mode.

Hibernate mode is very similar to sleep, but instead of saving your open documents and running applications to your RAM, it saves them to your hard disk. This allows your computer to turn off entirely, which means once your computer is in Hibernate mode, it uses zero power. Once the computer is powered back on, it will resume everything where you left off. 

Use hibernation when you know that you won't use your laptop or tablet for an extended period and won't have an opportunity to charge the battery during that time. First check to see if this option is available on your PC and if it is, turn it on.

To hibernate your PC:

Open power options:
    For Windows 10, select Start , then select Settings  > System  > Power & sleep  > Additional power settings.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13770/windows-shut-down-sleep-hibernate-your-pc

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 10, 2018 2:19 AM