none
An error occurred while executing a custom action:_PopulateUserRoles RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install Service Manager 2012 RTM onto a brand new server 2008r2. The purpose is to replace the other Data Management server that is giving me problems upgrading to service pack1. I go through the setup and connect to the SQL server and the database that has my existing DM. I am using the same credentials and everything is the same. It goes all the way to the end and I get an error :

An error occurred while executing a custom action:_PopulateUserRoles
    This upgrade attempt has failed before permanent modifications were made. Upgrade has successfully rolled back to the original state of the system. Once the correction are made, you can retry upgrade for this roll

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:44 PM

Answers

• After this error, I reran setup and used the domain admin account instead of the Service Manager Admins group I created in AD. The  error did not happen again, but I did get the "Setup cannot complete - RollbackCleanup" error. This was fixed by following this link: "http://www.cireson.com/scsm/scsm-an-error-occurred/" and this MS article: "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922918/en-us". These are the steps (I had to create the DWORD 32 bit):

• Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
      • Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
      • In the right pane, locate the ServicesPipeTimeout entry.

Note  If the ServicesPipeTimeout entry does not exist, you must create it. To do this, follow these steps:
        1. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    • Type ServicesPipeTimeout, and then press ENTER.
    • Right-click ServicesPipeTimeout, and then click Modify.
    • Click Decimal, type 60000, and then click OK.

This value represents the time in milliseconds before a service times out.
    • Restart the computer.

Hope this helps!

BR,

Robert

Robert

Friday, July 12, 2013 10:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Is the user you are running the setup with a local admin on the new server and a Sysadmin in SQL?

Thanks

Mark

Mark | http://syscen.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:28 AM
  • Yes I have tried using two different users and they are both sysadmins and local admins on the SQL server.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:25 PM
  • I'm trying to setup a second management server as well /w the SQL server on a seperate box, i'm getting this same error again.

I'm reluctant to try to upgrade to SP1 until I resolve this error when trying to install a second management server. No idea what the problem is, I was able to install a second management server, on a DEV database (same database server), without any issues.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 4:49 PM
  • Did you ever get this resolved?  I have the same problem.
    Monday, June 24, 2013 3:32 PM
  • Same issue - any answer? Thanks!

Robert

• Edited by FinlandRobert Friday, July 12, 2013 7:08 AM wrong info
    Friday, July 12, 2013 7:07 AM
  • After this error, I reran setup and used the domain admin account instead of the Service Manager Admins group I created in AD. The  error did not happen again, but I did get the "Setup cannot complete - RollbackCleanup" error. This was fixed by following this link: "http://www.cireson.com/scsm/scsm-an-error-occurred/" and this MS article: "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922918/en-us". These are the steps (I had to create the DWORD 32 bit):

• Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
      • Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
      • In the right pane, locate the ServicesPipeTimeout entry.

Note  If the ServicesPipeTimeout entry does not exist, you must create it. To do this, follow these steps:
        1. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    • Type ServicesPipeTimeout, and then press ENTER.
    • Right-click ServicesPipeTimeout, and then click Modify.
    • Click Decimal, type 60000, and then click OK.

This value represents the time in milliseconds before a service times out.
    • Restart the computer.

Hope this helps!

BR,

Robert

Robert

Friday, July 12, 2013 10:48 AM
  • I'm a consultant and I'm reinstalling SCSM 2012 R2 in a large company with more than 20,000 users. I did my SQL backup and all stuff to have all backed up, I got "An error occurred while executing a custom action:_PopulateUserRoles". I can not use the Admin domain user to install, the company can[t share the admin password, even that I have local admin privileges I got the error. I tried to install a new fresh copy with a new DB with the same name, then I replaced the DB now with data but the SCSM doesn't recognize the DB. Is there a way to reinstall with out the domain admin user?

An error occurred while executing a custom action:_PopulateUserRoles

Audioovox

Thursday, March 6, 2014 2:46 PM