none
Installing SCOM 2019 distributed environment- SCOM Reporting Component install fails RRS feed

• Question

• Afternoon,

First time with SCOM 2019, quite a bit different. Asking for assistance with steps!

Environment(LAB): SQL server 2016 SP2 on Windows Server 2016// 1-Mgmt Server on Windows Server 2016

Installed SQL server and SP2 no issues.

Installed Mgmt Server, Operations Console, Web Console on Mgmt Server ok!

I get lost at: where does the SQL Server Reporting Services (Native) piece get installed?

The directions are confusing to me as it seems to read to install the SQL Server Reporting Services on both the SQL server and Mgmt Server??! The SCOM Reporting module/app (last piece of the SCOM install gets installed on the mgmt server after everything else, correct?

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance!

TS

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 6:40 PM

Answers

• Correct, the SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) does not need to be on the server hosting the SCOM database (the SQL Server).

As I said, you can install the SQL Server Reporting Services on any server really, but the SCOM Reporting feature will have to be installed on that same server.

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by Tony Strother Wednesday, October 2, 2019 7:08 PM
    Wednesday, October 2, 2019 7:07 PM

All replies

• Hello Tony,

The SQL Server Reporting services can be installed anywhere really, if it's just a lab then you can simply install it on the same server as the SQL Server.

The SCOM Reporting feature must be installed on the same server where the SQL Server Reporting Services is installed.

So for example:

Windows Server 2016 (SCOM Management server)

• Features: SCOM Management Server, Web Console, SCOM Console

Windows Server 2016 (SCOM database server)

• SQL Server 2016 SP2 (for SCOM database, data warehouse & reporting)
    • Features: SCOM Database, Data Warehouse & SCOM Reporting

Best regards,
    Leon

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 6:51 PM
  • Afternoon,

So I could:

Install just the OPS Mgr DB and DW DB on the SQL server.

Install the SQL Reporting Services and the SCOM reporting module on the mgmt. server along with the mgmt. server and console pieces.

Or if I put up a second mgmt. server I could install just the web console piece, SQL Server reporting Services and the SCOM reporting piece on that second mgmt. server?

Thanks again for your time and assistance.

TS

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 7:03 PM
  • To be sure, the SQL Reporting services does not need to be on the SQL server if I do not intend to install the SCOM report piece there, correct?
    Wednesday, October 2, 2019 7:04 PM
  • Correct, the SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) does not need to be on the server hosting the SCOM database (the SQL Server).

As I said, you can install the SQL Server Reporting Services on any server really, but the SCOM Reporting feature will have to be installed on that same server.

• Marked as answer by Tony Strother Wednesday, October 2, 2019 7:08 PM
    Wednesday, October 2, 2019 7:07 PM