none
SCOM 2019 - Monitoring HP Blades and ProLiant Servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm trying to set up SCOM on a Windows Server 2012 server to monitor HP ProLiant Servers (Gen 7 to 9) and individual Blade Systems for any faults. I found and attempted to install the HP ProLiant Server and Blade System Management Packs. I was able to install the HP Blade System Enclosure Monitor Manager through the latter, which can monitor the enclosure(s) itself, but not the individual blades in it. 

When I tried to install the ProLiant Management Pack, however, the installer failed, stating: "Couldn't find Operations Manager 2007 (x64 version). This kit requires Operations Manager 2007 (x64 version) to properly associate HP management packs and HP custom tools together. The setup wouldn't continue", despite having the x64 version of SCOM installed.

My questions are:

1. Is this an issue of the ProLiant Management Pack not being compatible with SCOM 2019? If so, is there another similar management pack available that is compatible with 2019?

2. Is there a management pack/method available to monitor individual blade systems, not just the enclosure, available for SCOM?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 11:16 AM

Answers

• Hello,

To monitor HPE ProLiant blades, you will need the HPE ProLiant Management Pack for System Center Operations Manager management pack, the latest version is 1.80.

The problem is that this version has not been updated for ages, taken from the documentation of the MP (User Guide):

However I know that it does support SCOM 2016.

The HPE web pages are quite messy though, so it may be that we've missed out on something.

If you use OneView, then you're in better luck because the HPE OneView for Microsoft System Center 9.5 management pack does support SCOM 2019.

As I can see it, it seems HPE is trying to dismiss their old management packs and force everyone to go with the HPE OneView management pack.

More information here: HPE OneView for Microsoft System Center

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Edited by Leon Laude Wednesday, October 2, 2019 11:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by at115 Wednesday, October 2, 2019 1:23 PM
    Wednesday, October 2, 2019 11:26 AM
  • Hi,

If I am not mistaken the newest vesion of the HPE ProLiant MP supports only SCOM 2012 R2 and although it should work with SCOM 2019 almost nobody uses it. The reason for this is that HPE changed their strategy and are now consolidating monitoring over HPE OneView. This means that if you get OneView you can monitor your Gen6 - Gen10 servers without any problems and not only the enclosure, but the whole blades. 

Considering this my recommendation would be:

- Get OneView and oits free "Standard" license
    - Get all your blades in a "Monitored" state in OneView
    - Install the HPE OneView MP (this MP is also supported on SCOM 2019 in its newest version)
    - Configure it

I wrote an article on the topic, just two days ago:

System Center Operations Manager (SCOM): Monitoring HPE ProLiant Gen10 Servers

You can find some additoional links there also...

Hope this helps. 

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 11:29 AM

All replies

• Hello,

To monitor HPE ProLiant blades, you will need the HPE ProLiant Management Pack for System Center Operations Manager management pack, the latest version is 1.80.

The problem is that this version has not been updated for ages, taken from the documentation of the MP (User Guide):

However I know that it does support SCOM 2016.

The HPE web pages are quite messy though, so it may be that we've missed out on something.

If you use OneView, then you're in better luck because the HPE OneView for Microsoft System Center 9.5 management pack does support SCOM 2019.

As I can see it, it seems HPE is trying to dismiss their old management packs and force everyone to go with the HPE OneView management pack.

More information here: HPE OneView for Microsoft System Center

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Edited by Leon Laude Wednesday, October 2, 2019 11:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by at115 Wednesday, October 2, 2019 1:23 PM
    Wednesday, October 2, 2019 11:26 AM
  • Hi,

If I am not mistaken the newest vesion of the HPE ProLiant MP supports only SCOM 2012 R2 and although it should work with SCOM 2019 almost nobody uses it. The reason for this is that HPE changed their strategy and are now consolidating monitoring over HPE OneView. This means that if you get OneView you can monitor your Gen6 - Gen10 servers without any problems and not only the enclosure, but the whole blades. 

Considering this my recommendation would be:

- Get OneView and oits free "Standard" license
    - Get all your blades in a "Monitored" state in OneView
    - Install the HPE OneView MP (this MP is also supported on SCOM 2019 in its newest version)
    - Configure it

I wrote an article on the topic, just two days ago:

System Center Operations Manager (SCOM): Monitoring HPE ProLiant Gen10 Servers

You can find some additoional links there also...

Hope this helps. 

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 11:29 AM