none
Error 3140 when trying to convert a HP DL380 to Virtual

Question

• Hi, I am trying to do an offline P2V on a HP DL380 but it keeps failing at 40%. Any ideas ?

I have tried an online P2V on the same server which seems to work fine.

thanks

James

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 2:56 PM

Answers

• Hi James,

The instructions for how to collect traces are posted in the VMM General forum.  Since the source machine is not booting into WinPE, try capturing the trace on all involved machines including the source machine.  If you have any trouble collecting that data, contact me directly at mbriggs@microsoft.com.  The trace should tell us what the underlying failure is.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Best Regards, Mike Briggs [MSFT] – Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 4:40 PM

All replies

• Hello James,

Without more specific information surrounding the exact failure code, it is impossible to offer suggestions on why the conversion is failing if performed offline.  Just curious, if the conversion works if peformed using the online conversion, why the need to perform an offline conversion of the same server?

In regards to why is it failing when performed using the offline conversion ... What is the exact code displayed in the VMM console?  Be sure to include the hex code as well as the error or warning code.  Also it may be useful to collect a trace while performing the offline conversion, from both the VMM server and destination host (if different).

__________________________________________________________________________________

Best Regards, Mike Briggs [MSFT] – Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 4:12 PM
  • Hi Mike

Thanks for you reply, the only error I can see in the console is error 3140, which appears on stage 1.3.1 boot the physical machine in to WinPE. I dont know if it helps but the source machine does not attempt to reboot.

The am in the process of testing P2V thats why I am wanting to get this offline conversion working, I have tried it on a different HP server which gives me the same problems.

How can I setup the trace you mentioned above?

thanks

James

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 4:24 PM
  • Hi James,

The instructions for how to collect traces are posted in the VMM General forum.  Since the source machine is not booting into WinPE, try capturing the trace on all involved machines including the source machine.  If you have any trouble collecting that data, contact me directly at mbriggs@microsoft.com.  The trace should tell us what the underlying failure is.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 4:40 PM
  • The boot.wim image that P2V convertor installs for this task does not fit 100mb system partition.

I can't see an easy way to extend this partitition. If you want to make offline conversion, you should move system files to OS partition.

1. Mark OS partition as active with diskpart.exe
    2. Write Boot Sector with bootsect.exe
    3. Create boot files and BCD store with bcdboot.exe

MCSA 2000, MCSA 2003, MCTS

Thursday, February 9, 2012 12:22 PM