RDS 2012R2 Multiple monitors and single monitor RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We have RDS setup and working really well. 2 different desktop session collections and a published app collection.

the 2nd desktop session collection has multiple monitors enabled and limited to 2 monitors. This is because we have some thin clients with 2 screens and we wanted to extend the desktop to both screens.

Thats great, however when a laptop user with 2 screens connects and they only want the session to be on 1 screen, it defaults to 2 screens and they can not change it.

How do we fix this? is it something we can set via GPO for all our laptop users? 

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 11:42 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Using the built-in capability you can only have one configuration per collection.  By default that is to use multiple monitors.  In your case you would like to have per client machine configuration, which is not a built-in feature.

One suggestion is to download the .rdp files using non-IE browser, manually modify them so that multiple monitors are disabled (use multimon:i:0), re-sign them using rdpsign.exe on the server, and distribute them to the desktops of the laptops.  The downside of this approach is the files for these users would be static.  Any future change that you make to your RDS configuration will no longer be applied until you manually redistribute them.

-TP

• Proposed as answer by Amy Wang_ Monday, February 27, 2017 1:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by BRO-T_UK Monday, March 27, 2017 7:17 AM
    Friday, February 24, 2017 4:23 PM

All replies

• Thats great, however when a laptop user with 2 screens connects and they only want the session to be on 1 screen, it defaults to 2 screens and they can not change it.

Hi,

Per my understanding, that's expected behavior of multi-monitor, if user only wants single screen, please uncheck the checkbox Use all my monitors for the remote session under Display tab before connect.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 9:31 AM
  • Hi Amy,

Thanks, that is the option on the RDP client for the laptop? Is that the same if were using Remote Apps to publish the icons?

Andy

Thursday, February 23, 2017 10:44 AM
  • Hi Andy,

You may find the option within mstsc.exe, check this screenshot below:

If users are connecting via RD Web Access, then by default the multi-monitor is not enabled; if it's enabled in your case, you may disable it via PowerShell cmdlet below

Set-RDSessionCollectionConfiguration -CollectionName "YourCollection" -CustomRDPProperty "use multimon:i:0"

More information for you:

Use multimon

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff393695(v=ws.10).aspx

Custom RDP Settings on Server 2012 VDI

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/66993475-9cf5-46dd-9c77-c526f86ebe74/custom-rdp-settings-on-server-2012-vdi?forum=winserverTS

Best Regards,

Amy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 24, 2017 3:08 AM
  • Thanks Amy

I'm assuming you run that PS on the client not the RDSH

I have tested it using a laptop and manually unticking "Use all my monitors" yet still, from the RADC the desktop session takes all screens available.

Andy

Friday, February 24, 2017 2:41 PM
  • Hi,

Using the built-in capability you can only have one configuration per collection.  By default that is to use multiple monitors.  In your case you would like to have per client machine configuration, which is not a built-in feature.

One suggestion is to download the .rdp files using non-IE browser, manually modify them so that multiple monitors are disabled (use multimon:i:0), re-sign them using rdpsign.exe on the server, and distribute them to the desktops of the laptops.  The downside of this approach is the files for these users would be static.  Any future change that you make to your RDS configuration will no longer be applied until you manually redistribute them.

-TP

• Proposed as answer by Amy Wang_ Monday, February 27, 2017 1:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by BRO-T_UK Monday, March 27, 2017 7:17 AM
    Friday, February 24, 2017 4:23 PM
  • Hi,

Is further assistance required?

Best Regards,

Amy

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 1:47 PM