none
Windows Hyper-V Server 2012 free license who does it works ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I've just read that Windows Hyper-V Server is free, does it really ?

I just wanted to know precisely what I can do whit this free license ? ... Let's me describe what I'm thinking about...

I have three physical servers bi-processor with twelve cores and at least 128GB of RAM.

1. Can I install Windows Hyper-V Server for free on those three machine ?

2. Can I manage all the physical servers in a centralized console with RSAT by buying only one Windows 8 license ? What is/are the limitation/s of such architecture in terms of features ? ... Is it possible to build a cluster, use live migration ....

3. Can I buy one System Center Datacenter license ($4,209) per physical server to manage those free hyper-visors ? I know that we can buy System Center 2012 Datacenter + Windows Server 2012 Datacenter and have unlimited virtual machines. But the idea here is to buy only the management tools licenses, using free Microsoft hyper-visors and then paying system license per each VM. Is it possible ?

Is there anybody who have more clear information about the free version of Windows Hyper-V Server and what we can do with it ?

Thank you very much for your reply

G.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 10:52 AM

Answers

• Hi, 

Hyper-V has the same Hyper-V features like Windows Server 2012 Std. and Datacenter but only the Hyper-V role is installed and no other role is possible. 

With Hyper-V you have no GUI but you are able to manage all Servers via RSAT (also Client Hyper-V console Windows 8). 

Hyper-V to Full Editions:

- no GUI

- no VM Licensens

- no other roles only Hyper-V 

+ Free

+ Full Hyper-V features

+ Powershell management 

+ Full Management via RS (Windows 8 / Windows Server 2012 Remote Host)

Point 3. is right. 

Regards

Flo 

• Proposed as answer by Arthur OH Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by GRRRRRRRR Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:50 PM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:19 AM