none
Performance data from the Health Service could not be collected since opening the shared data failed with error "5L".

Question

• Hi All,

I have a few servers that are not able to collect .NET performance counters through OpsMgr, but are able to collect them using PerfMon.
    There is an error on each server which I believe may be trying to tell me what the problem is, but I have no idea what this means and I don't get any hits when trying to google/bing it. 

I'm hoping that someone can tell me what this error means?

The error is:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: HealthService
    Event Category: Health Service
    Event ID: 6002
    Date:  9/16/2009
    Time:  2:41:31 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: xxxxxx
    Description:
    Performance data from the Health Service could not be collected since opening the shared data failed with error "5L".

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Thanks,
    Kristian

Friday, September 18, 2009 7:12 PM

Answers

• Hi all,

I've been able to identify what the problem is. The .NET Framework on these problem machines is v1.1.
    I arranged for a new server to be built with .NET Framework v1.1 and confirmed the problem occurred again (I was unable to collect the .NET counters, yet I could see them in PerfMon).
    I then installed .NET Framework v3.5 and it worked! I can collect the .NET Performance Counters, as well as see them in PerfMon.

I now need to understand why this is the case? Why would OpsMgr require a higher version (greater than v1.1) of .NET Framework to be installed?
    I don't remember reading any documentation that requires agents to have a specific version of .NET Framework.

Thanks,
    Kristian
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 2:57 PM

All replies

• Kristian, I have never seen this error before (that I recall) and BING/Google are devoid of any matches on that message. Can you share a bit about the configuration of the affected servers? OS and SP levels? Any other error messages in the OpsMgr Event Logs or App Event Log that could be relevant?
    Pete Zerger, MVP-OpsMgr and SCE | http://www.systemcentercentral.com
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 10:32 PM
  • Hi Pete,

It's great to hear that I've come across something that is 'undiscovered'! :)

These servers are running Windows 2003 Enterprise SP2. The application that runs on these machines is an in-house developed reporting application.
    I don't have any issue with collecting performance counters in general, because I can successfully collect any other counter that I try to collect. For some reason - just the .NET counters are not being collected by OpsMgr. Yet, I'm able to view them successfully in PerfMon. Very weird..

Trawling through the Application Event Log, I also see the following errors:
    Event Source: Perflib
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1023
    Date:  9/15/2009
    Time:  4:27:30 PM
    Computer: xxxxxxx
    Description:
    Windows cannot load extensible counter DLL CcmFramework, the first DWORD in data section is the Windows error code.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 05 00 00 00               ....   

----------------------------

Event Source: W3CTRS
    Event ID: 2001
    Date:  8/11/2009
    Time:  10:05:49 AM
    Computer: xxxxxxx
    Description:
    It has taken too long to refresh the W3SVC counters, the stale counters are being used instead.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Kristian

Monday, September 21, 2009 6:59 PM
  • I'm not sure if this is going to help, but maybe your performance counters need to be rebuilt?  Please make sure to back up the machine, the registry, etc before attempting this. 

I do not know if this will fix the problem.  Based on the errors you've posted, it seems "something" is amiss with your performance counters.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300956

Michael Pearson
    OpsMgr Performance Test Team

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of attachments are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 1:03 AM
  • Hi,

I've tried rebuilding the PerfMon counters and had no luck. I've also tried running the Health Service as a Domain Administrator instead of the Local System, but the problem still exists.

One thing I have noticed is the following event also appears in the OpsMgr Event Log, which I hadn't seen up until now.

Event Source: OpsMgr Connector
    Event ID: 21029
    Date:  9/22/2009
    Time:  12:02:12 PM
    Computer: xxxxxx
    Description:
    Performance data from the OpsMgr connector could not be collected since opening the shared data failed with error "5L".

Thanks,
    Kristian

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 1:26 PM
  • Have you tried re-installing the Agent?  Please note that you'll lose monitoring for awhile while you re-install and all the discoveries re-run on this Agent.

It might be time to open a CSS case for this one.  If rebuilding the perf counters didn't fix this, I don't know what the problem might be here.  Re-installing the Agent is just a guess.
    Michael Pearson
    OpsMgr Performance Test Team

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of attachments are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:49 PM
  • Hi all,

I've been able to identify what the problem is. The .NET Framework on these problem machines is v1.1.
    I arranged for a new server to be built with .NET Framework v1.1 and confirmed the problem occurred again (I was unable to collect the .NET counters, yet I could see them in PerfMon).
    I then installed .NET Framework v3.5 and it worked! I can collect the .NET Performance Counters, as well as see them in PerfMon.

I now need to understand why this is the case? Why would OpsMgr require a higher version (greater than v1.1) of .NET Framework to be installed?
    I don't remember reading any documentation that requires agents to have a specific version of .NET Framework.

Thanks,
    Kristian
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 2:57 PM
  • I know this is an old thread, but just ran across this problem as well.  Turns out there was a change to the Management Server Action Account, but the MSAA was updated with the appropriate permissions on the local MS.  MSAA needs to have access to these perf counters.  Typically I just add the MSAA to the local admins group and this takes care of it, but at a minimum this account needs to be a member of performance * users local group on the MS.

HTH, Jonathan Almquist

• Proposed as answer by Brandon.M Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:26 PM
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 8:52 PM
  • I know this is an old thread, but just ran across this problem as well.  Turns out there was a change to the Management Server Action Account, but the MSAA was updated with the appropriate permissions on the local MS.  MSAA needs to have access to these perf counters.  Typically I just add the MSAA to the local admins group and this takes care of it, but at a minimum this account needs to be a member of performance * users local group on the MS.

HTH, Jonathan Almquist

This looks like it worked for me. I added the default Action Account to Performance Log Users and Performance Monitor Users group on the management servers and the Performance data from the Health Service could not be collected since opening the shared data failed with error "5L" errors have appeared to stop. Thanks
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:28 PM