none
How to remove BITS transfer jobs initiated by SCCM client in Windows 7

Question

• I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but it is about a pesky package stuck in no-man's land using SCCM 2007 R2.  Client is 32-bit Windows 7 Enterprise.  An image I've created has three BITS transfer jobs stuck in limbo.  Here is a dump from powershell run as administrator:

C:\Windows\system32>powershell

Windows PowerShell

Copyright (C) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Windows\system32> import-module bitstransfer

PS C:\Windows\system32> get-bitstransfer -allusers

JobId           DisplayName     TransferType    JobState        OwnerAccount

-----           -----------     ------------    --------        ------------

7537dda7-b1a... CcmSetup BIT... Download        Suspended       NT AUTHORITY...

90e5eb77-df8... SMS Client S... Download        Suspended       NT AUTHORITY...

6dc1fbbb-70f... CCMDTS Job      Download        Error           NT AUTHORITY...

PS C:\Windows\system32> $b = get-bitstransfer -allusers

PS C:\Windows\system32> remove-bitstransfer -Bitsjob $b

Remove-BitsTransfer : Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_

ACCESSDENIED))

At line:1 char:20

+ remove-bitstransfer <<<<  -Bitsjob $b

+ CategoryInfo          : PermissionDenied: (:) [Remove-BitsTransfer], Una

uthorizedAccessException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : RemoveBitsTransferAuthException,Microsoft.Backgr

oundIntelligentTransfer.Management.ClearBitsTransferCommand

ACCESSDENIED))

uthorizedAccessException

ACCESSDENIED))

uthorizedAccessException

PS C:\Windows\system32>

I also tried removing the jobs one at a time.  I also tried using BitsAdmin to cancel the jobs.  I can't remove, cancel, retry, resume jobs created by NT Authority\System.  I can't start a command prompt as System using AT like I used to in XP, so I got tricky and downloaded PSExec and started an interactive copy of cmd.exe running in the System security context.  I confirmed this by entering 'whoami'.  When I attempt to delete the jobs using the cmdlets above, I get an error stating I am not connected to the network and I have to be connected to the network to run and BitsTransfer cmdlet.  At this point I attempted to connect to the admin share on a domain controller using net use with the /user: switch and my domain admin account.  This locked my network account immediately!

So, how does one delete bits transfer jobs initiated by System in Windows 7? 

Thanks,

Tom

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:43 PM

Answers

• Here's a method a bit more elegant IMO. Based on article http://forums.techarena.in/server-update-service/1033724.htm

1. Create a schedule task to run the command line c:\windows\system32\bitsadmin.exe /reset /allusers running under the NTAUTHORITY\SYSTEM context.
    2. Using a Power shell, first import the BITSTransfer module with commandlet 'import-module bitstransfer' (if not done so already)
    3. get the status of current jobs with commandlet 'Get-BitsTransfer -AllUsers | fl'.

You should not get any listed.

HTHS

Fred Larracuente

Monday, October 24, 2011 3:20 PM

All replies

• you could also change the way the service runs. you could tell it to use your account or domain admins account instead. this way if it runs like that you should be able to interact with it.

BItsadmin

bitsadmin /list /allusers

ahould return a list of alljobs and then

bitsadmin /reset /allusers should remove the jobs

When in doubt...let Google help you out!
    • Proposed as answer by cszolee Monday, July 04, 2016 10:41 AM
    Monday, August 30, 2010 6:57 PM
  • Hi,

I'm having the same issue when removing SCCM Bits jobs via Remove-BitsTransfer. I've also tried bitsadmin but get teh following output ...

BITSADMIN version 3.0 [ 7.5.7601 ]
    BITS administration utility.
    (C) Copyright 2000-2006 Microsoft Corp.

BITSAdmin is deprecated and is not guaranteed to be available in future versions of Windows.
    Administrative tools for the BITS service are now provided by BITS PowerShell cmdlets.

Unable to cancel {A0659D41-303D-445B-9276-0E80EBCDE0D3}.
    Unable to cancel {C3EFFF6C-E683-42D8-8BB6-C99926AF55FC}.
    Unable to cancel {929FC99E-3400-4BC4-8701-6D6153850D51}.
    Unable to cancel {C0B7CC99-1534-470F-88E5-0F3A4A599917}.
    0 out of 4 jobs canceled.

I dont seem to be modify the jobs in any way, is this because they are running as "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM"?

J

Monday, July 18, 2011 11:25 AM
  • Hi,

I just stopped the Bits Service, removed the files under "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Network\Downloader" (qmgr0.dat and qmgr1.dat) and rebooted the the station and now my CCM downloads are running. Oddly I don't seem to have any Bits downloads listed even when the CCM\Logs\FileBITS.log file is updating.

If I get any moreIf I find another station with the same issue I'll check the ACL's on the files as I'm guessing administrators don't have rights.

J

Monday, July 18, 2011 12:16 PM
  • Here's a method a bit more elegant IMO. Based on article http://forums.techarena.in/server-update-service/1033724.htm

1. Create a schedule task to run the command line c:\windows\system32\bitsadmin.exe /reset /allusers running under the NTAUTHORITY\SYSTEM context.
    2. Using a Power shell, first import the BITSTransfer module with commandlet 'import-module bitstransfer' (if not done so already)
    3. get the status of current jobs with commandlet 'Get-BitsTransfer -AllUsers | fl'.

You should not get any listed.

HTHS

Fred Larracuente

Monday, October 24, 2011 3:20 PM
  • Great Answer!

James Mason Pack

Wednesday, July 01, 2015 4:41 PM