none
"Recipient policy objects that don't contain email address won't be show" - Defaut Address Policy RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I was attempting to make a change to our company's default address policy and received the following error message:

"The recipient policy "Default Policy" with mailbox manager settings cannot be managed by the current version of Exchange Management Console. Please use a management console with the same version as the object."

I did some research and found that this message was likely occurring because our default address policy was in legacy mode from when we had Exchange 2003 in our environment and hadn't been updated since.

I made sure I had the "Organization Management" and "Server Management" roles, and then ran the following command in the Exchange management shell:

Set-EmailAddressPolicy "Default Policy" -IncludedRecipients AllRecipients

I received the same error message from above about not being able to manage the object because of the version.

I did some more research and found that I could edit the following itmes in ADSI edit:

"MsExchMailboxManagerFolderSettings" - delete all attributes

"MsExchPolicyOptionList" - delete all attributes

I was then able to run the 'Set-EmailAddressPolicy "Default Policy" -IncludedRecipients AllRecipients' command without any issues.

It now appears that the Default Address Policy is current, however, I am experiencing another issue. I can't see the default address policy in ECP under "mail flow -> email address policies". All I see is the below message:

"Recipient policy objects that don't contain email address won't be shown unless you include the IncludeMailboxSettingOnlyPolicy parameter in the Get-EmailAddressPolicy cmdlet."

Doing this allows me to see the default address policy in the management shell, and everything looks correct, but when I create a new user they are not receiving the default addresses.

My questions are:

-What can I do so that I can see the default address policy in ECP again?

-How can I make sure that new users and current users are receiving the default address policy as they were before?

-Is there anything else I might need to do?

Thank you!

Monday, November 18, 2019 9:27 PM

Answers

• I was able to figure this out. Apparently one of the values I deleted from the msExchPolicyOptionList was the value for my default address policy. I added it back and now everything is working. The other value I deleted from this attribute represented the "Mailbox Manager Policy". This value is what tells the environment what version of mailbox manager is being used in the environment. This is the only value that needed to be deleted.

Here is the value that represents the mailbox manager, the one that needed to be deleted:

EC 13 68 3B 89 CE BA 42 94 42 D8 7D 4A A3 0D BC

Everything appears to be working fine now. Thank you for all the suggestions!

• Marked as answer by Daryl LFP Friday, November 22, 2019 12:24 AM
    Friday, November 22, 2019 12:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Daryl LEP,

From description, I guess you upgraded from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2013. The Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2013 cannot work with each other. There could be some compatibility issues on this Default Email Address policy. In my option, the quickest way would create a new email address policy. Clone the default policy and set the priority to 1.

Reference: Create an Email Address Policy

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 7:48 AM
  • Hi Perry,

I should have clarified that better. I believe the previous administrator migrated from Exchange 2003 to 2007 at some point, and then a few years back we migrated from 2007 to 2013.

If I run the command

Get-EmailAddressPolicy -IncludeMailboxSettingOnlyPolicy | fl

I can see the default policy exists and the filter type is now set to "Prescanned" when it was originally set to "Legacy". The policy itself looks healthy, but for some reason it doesn't appear to be applied to any of the mailboxes in our environment anymore. The RecipientFilterApplied attribute is set to "False". Does this indicate that it is not applied?

Here is the output from the above command with all of the sensitive information removed:

RunspaceId                        : 189768b9-37d6-4f6a-ac22-1f7982e20bc4
    RecipientFilter                   : Alias -ne $null
    LdapRecipientFilter               : (mailNickname=*)
    LastUpdatedRecipientFilter        :
    RecipientFilterApplied            : False
    IncludedRecipients                : AllRecipients
    ConditionalDepartment             : {}
    ConditionalCompany                : {}
    ConditionalStateOrProvince        : {}
    ConditionalCustomAttribute1       : {}
    ConditionalCustomAttribute2       : {}
    ConditionalCustomAttribute3       : {}
    ConditionalCustomAttribute4       : {}
    ConditionalCustomAttribute5       : {}
    ConditionalCustomAttribute6       : {}
    ConditionalCustomAttribute7       : {}
    ConditionalCustomAttribute8       : {}
    ConditionalCustomAttribute9       : {}
    ConditionalCustomAttribute10      : {}
    ConditionalCustomAttribute11      : {}
    ConditionalCustomAttribute12      : {}
    ConditionalCustomAttribute13      : {}
    ConditionalCustomAttribute14      : {}
    ConditionalCustomAttribute15      : {}
    RecipientContainer                :
    RecipientFilterType               : Precanned
    Priority                          : Lowest
    EnabledPrimarySMTPAddressTemplate : (REMOVED)
    EnabledEmailAddressTemplates      : (REMOVED)
    DisabledEmailAddressTemplates     : {MS:(REMOVED)/FIRSTADMIN}
    HasEmailAddressSetting            : False
    HasMailboxManagerSetting          : False
    NonAuthoritativeDomains           : {}
    AdminDescription                  :
    AdminDisplayName                  :
    ExchangeVersion                   : 0.1 (8.0.535.0)
    Name                              : Default Policy
    DistinguishedName                 : CN=Default Policy,CN=Recipient Policies,CN=(REMOVED)Products,CN=Microsoft
                                        Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=(REMOVED),DC=com
    Identity                          : Default Policy
    Guid                              : e2326482-b373-436b-9c05-b5d39184489a
    ObjectCategory                    : (REMOVED)/Configuration/Schema/ms-Exch-Recipient-Policy
    ObjectClass                       : {top, msExchGenericPolicy, msExchRecipientPolicy}
    WhenChanged                       : 11/18/2019 11:09:51 AM
    WhenCreated                       : 11/13/2002 11:48:49 AM
    WhenChangedUTC                    : 11/18/2019 7:09:51 PM
    WhenCreatedUTC                    : 11/13/2002 7:48:49 PM
    OrganizationId                    :
    Id                                : Default Policy
    OriginatingServer                 : (REMOVED)
    IsValid                           : True
    ObjectState                       : Unchanged

Do I just need to apply this policy to all of our mail objects?

Will applying this policy to all of the mail objects cause them to loose any custom SMTP addresses that we have manually added to them?

Thank you!

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 5:10 PM
  • I compared your results with mine. On my side, the RecipientFilterApplied is True.

According to my research, the RecipientFilterApplied property value could verify if we have successfully updated GAL or other address lists. If the address list is up-to-date, the value displays as true.

>> Will applying this policy to all of the mail objects cause them to loose any custom SMTP addresses that we have manually added to them?

The default email address policy applies email addresses to all recipients in your organization. 

In my opinion, we could easily create a new email address policy and apply it to all users. It won’t affect existing SMTP addresses and will add another new email address to it.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 6:58 AM
  • Hi Perry,

It sounds like creating a new address policy might be the way to go instead of fighting with this one. I was just hoping there would be a quick way to apply this one to all of my mail-enabled objects, and change the RecipientFilterApplied attribute to true.

One last concern I have is that this all started because I am preparing to migrate to Exchange 2016. I was hoping to get my current Exchange 2013 environment in a healthy state before doing so. If I have a broken default address policy right now, will this cause any issues down the road when I migrate to 2016?

Thanks for all the advice!

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 5:16 PM
  • I was able to figure this out. Apparently one of the values I deleted from the msExchPolicyOptionList was the value for my default address policy. I added it back and now everything is working. The other value I deleted from this attribute represented the "Mailbox Manager Policy". This value is what tells the environment what version of mailbox manager is being used in the environment. This is the only value that needed to be deleted.

Here is the value that represents the mailbox manager, the one that needed to be deleted:

Everything appears to be working fine now. Thank you for all the suggestions!

• Marked as answer by Daryl LFP Friday, November 22, 2019 12:24 AM
    Friday, November 22, 2019 12:24 AM
  • It's so nice of you to share the information here! I believe this would benefit other users a lot :)

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post for your information.

[Issue Symptiom]

====================

Cannot see the default address policy in ECP. Default email address policy was not applied when new user mailbox is created.

[Solution]

====================

One of the values I deleted from the msExchPolicyOptionList was the value for the default address policy.

The other value I deleted from this attribute represented the "Mailbox Manager Policy". This value is what tells the environment what version of mailbox manager is being used in the environment. This is the only value that needed to be deleted.

Friday, November 22, 2019 1:14 AM