none
SMS Agent Host service using 100% CPU usage on SCCM server RRS feed

• Question

• My SCCM server is utilizing 100% CPU.  If I stop the SMS Agent Host service, it goes back to normal.  This has never happened before on any server - let alone the SCCM server.

Any ideas?  I tried rebooting and that didn't work.  I have Windows 2003 Standard with SP2.  Hardware resources aren't a problem.

The only thing I did to SCCM was start playing with DCM.  I created a basic baseline and that's it.

TIA

Thursday, January 17, 2008 7:30 PM

Answers

• Marking this as answered as there have been no responses on this for weeks now. If you still see this issue, the only things I've heard of are ITMU and anti-virus software.

Outside that, you'd need to contact PSS.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 2:49 AM

All replies

• Are you using ITMU for Configuration Manager? I know it still has some performance issues, even with Configuration Manager. Outside that, I've never heard of it. I'd contact product support to have them dig into it unless others have other thoughts.

Friday, January 18, 2008 4:33 PM
  • Marking this as answered as there have been no responses on this for weeks now. If you still see this issue, the only things I've heard of are ITMU and anti-virus software.

Outside that, you'd need to contact PSS.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 2:49 AM
  • Also try looking in C:\Windows\Temp

We had an issue with SCCM on both of our ADFS servers running at 80-100% processor for more than a week. Several techs looked at the problem without finding a cause or solution (other than stopping SCCM temporarily)

It turned out to be SMS Agent Host (SCCM client) which tried to create a new .tmp file, but the C:\Windows\Temp folder was already pretty filled with them. 65.000+.

This caused the program to iterate through each filename permutation (tmp00001.tmp, tmp00002.tmp, etc.) until the end (every single time) to create a new file and it caused the extra processor usage as that also impacted the programs functions and used extra processor.
    Luckily there was no apparent user impact on the ADFS services, until it stayed at 100% after about 2-3 days at around 80%. (each time the SCCM was shut down and restarted, the process started over)

Microsoft could fix this problem by changing the name of the .tmp slightly from a VERY generic tmp00000.tmp.

Introduce program name, date and time into the filename, which would make the name unique and not susceptible to this type of problem?
    Also perhaps... not store a log file under temp, but under the program folder?

Friday, September 13, 2019 6:40 AM