none
Adding Hyper-V hosts to VMM 2012 Warning 26179 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys, kind of new to Hyper-V and System center. After adding Hyper-V hosts to VMM I get this warning. Any idea how I can sort it out?

Warning (26179)
    Couldn't enable multi path i/o for known storage arrays on host xxx.

Recommended Action
    Enable multi path i/o for storage arrays being used on host manually after adding multi path feature.

Thursday, May 3, 2012 6:29 AM

Answers

• Hello Knorre,

Preparing Hosts

If you have not already done so add the storage multi-path (MPIO) feature to each host before adding the host/cluster to VMM. MPIO will then be configured automatically when adding hosts to VMM.

Note: If you receive a warning 26179 when adding hosts/cluster “Couldn’t enable multi-path i/o for known storage arrays xxx” you have either not or incorrectly configured multi-path on the hosts before adding them. VMM will attempt to configure MPIO when adding host. Correct the MPIO settings before continuing.

to enable multipath feature you can do with powershell. Open Powershell in administrative Mode.

Import-Module ServerManager
    Add-WindowsFeature Multipath-IO

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language)

Thursday, May 3, 2012 6:48 AM
  • Do you intend to use the hosts for connecting to SAN ? If not you can ingnore this error.

You can enable MPIO in roles and features of server manager for the hosts.

VMM checks for MPIO already enabled on the hosts and adds entries to wellknown storage arrays.

Vijay Chegu [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. User assumes all.

Thursday, May 3, 2012 6:49 AM

All replies

• Hello Knorre,

Preparing Hosts

If you have not already done so add the storage multi-path (MPIO) feature to each host before adding the host/cluster to VMM. MPIO will then be configured automatically when adding hosts to VMM.

Note: If you receive a warning 26179 when adding hosts/cluster “Couldn’t enable multi-path i/o for known storage arrays xxx” you have either not or incorrectly configured multi-path on the hosts before adding them. VMM will attempt to configure MPIO when adding host. Correct the MPIO settings before continuing.

to enable multipath feature you can do with powershell. Open Powershell in administrative Mode.

Import-Module ServerManager
    Add-WindowsFeature Multipath-IO

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language)

Thursday, May 3, 2012 6:48 AM
  • Do you intend to use the hosts for connecting to SAN ? If not you can ingnore this error.

You can enable MPIO in roles and features of server manager for the hosts.

VMM checks for MPIO already enabled on the hosts and adds entries to wellknown storage arrays.

Vijay Chegu [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. User assumes all.

Thursday, May 3, 2012 6:49 AM
  • Hello Knorre,

Did your problem solved?

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language) Please note that I'm not a Microsoft Representative or SpokesPerson.

Friday, May 4, 2012 8:21 PM
  • Hello Knorre,

Did your problem solved?

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language) Please note that I'm not a Microsoft Representative or SpokesPerson.

Hi, I have not had time to check this, will try it soon. The hosts are on server core and i'll try enabling MPIO. 

Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:02 AM
  • Are you using HP or EMC storage ?  because they have provide their own multi path I/O utilities . Try to install them , i guess warning will disappear.

Xahid

Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:46 AM
  • Hi Murat,

It worked and solved the error for me.......

Thanks

Gaurav Ranjan

Monday, May 28, 2012 7:37 AM
  • Thanks Murat.

It worked for me also. first of all i installed Multipath I/O feature in server and then ran the two commands given by you in powershell in administrative mode. It's working fine. Now i am not getting this warning after adding hyper-v host in scvmm 2012.

Thanks,

Vishwajeet.

Thursday, December 13, 2012 8:00 AM
  • Thanks Murat.

This worked great.

You saved the day!

Best Regards, Phil

Thursday, September 5, 2013 5:33 PM
  • Hi,

Got the same warning. Do we need to restart the HOST after adding this feature? Is it ok to add it after we have added the HOST to the VMM?

Regards,

Geir Tore

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 7:34 AM