none
Exchange 2016 CU14 installation failed in step 10 of 17 RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to upgrade from CU11->14 but got the message:

Error:
    The following error was generated when "$error.Clear();
            if (get-service MSExchangeServiceHost* | where {$_.name -eq "MSExchangeServiceHost"})
            {
                restart-service MSExchangeServiceHost
            }
            " was run: "Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ServiceCommandException: Service 'Microsoft Exchange Service Host (MSExchangeServiceHost)' cannot be started due to the following error: Cannot start service MSExchangeServiceHost on computer '.'. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot start service MSExchangeServiceHost on computer '.'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The dependency service or group failed to start
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start(String[] args)
       at Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ServiceOperationBaseCommand.DoStartService(ServiceController serviceController)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---".

I followed the suggestion in:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0d7c89f1-1ccb-41d1-8262-40a51cdad1bf/exchange-2016-cu5-installation-failed?forum=Exch2016SD

- and checked the status frequently in "Services" that the Exchange services where in the state "automatic". I was not able to start “Microsoft Exchange Service Host” service (at stage 8): Error 1068 The dependency service or group failed to start.

The win2016 server hosting the Exchange got the latest updates and .NET 4.8

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 6:57 PM

Answers

• Hi everybody

I had the same problem. Exchange services won't start anymore.

I solved the issue by uninstalling  the Unified Communications Managed API 5.0 and install 4.0 version.

Services starts --> able to complete the cu14 update.. 

Friday, November 22, 2019 7:54 AM

All replies

• Hi.

Please check this article EXCHANGE SERVER 2016 CU SETUP CANNOT STOP SERVICE DUE TO ACCESS DENIED

or

Create Schedule task for change status Exchange services to automatic for time when you update Exchange.

Get-Service | where{$_.Name -Like ‘MSExchange*’} | set-Service -StartupType ‘automatic’

MCITP, MCSE. Regards, Oleg

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 7:19 PM
  • Hi,

Please confirm if the  dependency service is running. If not, start the dependency service, and then try to start the Microsoft Exchange Service Host service.

Right click the “Microsoft Exchange Service Host” service on the service page, choose the properties, then you can view the dependencies.

If you still have this issue like “Error 1068 The dependency service or group failed to start” , you can post your screenshot of the error. Please remember to cover your personal information.

You can reproduce this error and then check from the Event Viewer to see if there is a related event id generation.

Regards,

Vera Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 8:14 AM
  • Hi Vera

The "MS Exchange Service Host" is running and set to Automatic.  The Dependency shows "Net Tcp Port Sharing Service" - also running/automatic

/Lars

PS I'm not allowed to post images before my account is verified??

Thursday, November 14, 2019 4:08 PM

• Have you check if the “Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology” service and the “Netlogon” service both start? Please restart these two service.

Similar to the link your first posting referred, you can keep refreshing the services page as it is going through the download process and when they all changed to "Disabled". Try to start these dependency services first, then start the "MS Exchange Service Host" service. Try more.

You can post the content of the generated Event log and the Event id. Please remember to cover your personal information.

Regards,

Vera Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 18, 2019 10:20 AM
  • I had to create a running for-next loop to set all Exchange and other required services to auto and started during the upgrade at several sites now.  For whatever reason, if .Net 4.8 is installed before CU14, it is highly likely CU14 will leave key services disabled during the upgrade and fail.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 4:10 PM
  • Any updates so far? If you have solved your problem, could you share with us? Maybe it will help more people with similar problems.

Regards,

Vera Shen

Friday, November 22, 2019 1:29 AM
  • Hi everybody

I had the same problem. Exchange services won't start anymore.

I solved the issue by uninstalling  the Unified Communications Managed API 5.0 and install 4.0 version.

Services starts --> able to complete the cu14 update.. 

Friday, November 22, 2019 7:54 AM
  • The following is a brief summary of this issue so that others may get help from here.

Issue Symptom
    ==========================================
    Upgrade from Exchange 2016 CU11 to 14 but get the erro: Cannot start service MSExchangeServiceHost on computer ', ‘The dependency service or group failed to start’.

Possible Cause
    The dependency services cannot start during the process of installation.

Solution
    Check the status of the dependency services of MSExchangeServiceHost service. 

Try to keep refreshing the services page as it is going through the download process and when they all changed to "Disabled". Try to start these dependency services first, then start the "MS Exchange Service Host" service.

Also can try to uninstall  the Unified Communications Managed API 5.0 and install 4.0 version.

Regards,

Vera Shen

Thursday, November 28, 2019 10:50 AM