All our win 7 64 bit client pcs are showing Critical in Agent Managed piece, but not all of them show error under Management status in Computers-All Clients. Some do show excalmation point here also.
Ive tried remote removal and reinstalls, same directly from the pc, tried repairs(and did approve, whatever that does...), and also ran a manual install from the SCE folders up on network.
Checked firewall settings (netsh advfirewall firewall delete rule name=”MOM Agent Installer Service” ), and made sure Make change to registry is started.
Any ideas on what else to try?
For your reference, the following article discussed a similar issue for SCE 2007 SP1:
EBS, SCE, Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7
According to the article, SCE 2007 does not support deploying 64-bit Windows 7 clients through the Discovery Wizard (see the article for details). The clients must be deployed manually. The detailed steps can also be found in the article.
Yog Li - MSFT
As I mentioned, I did do the manual install already. But, I did try something different, I ran the hotfix locally.
Right now, my test pc seems to checking in correctly.
So with you making me go back and redo manual install, it may have worked. But why running the hotfix locally (and what made me do it this way) made it work is anybodys guess.
Now off to the future and heres to Microsoft getting all their applications to talk to each other nicely.