Exchange Public Folders RRS feed

• Question

• We run dedicated public folder servers in our environment and there is no Public Folder server role built in.  I assume for load purposes we could use the Mailbox role, but I can't find a mechanism for targeting users to the public folder server (as well as their home mailbox server).

Ben
    Monday, October 10, 2005 1:48 AM

Answers

•  Ben Jackson wrote:
    How would a load balanced set of front end servers be represented?
    They (should!) load-balance automatically within an office, just like in real life.

[And yes, the IIS servers should have been renamed to front-end servers - we didn't do a full terminology scrub on this initial beta, sorry]
    Monday, October 10, 2005 4:37 AM
  • [but I can't find a mechanism for targeting users to the public folder server (as well as their home mailbox server).]

You can target a set of users (client profile) to a specific MailBox Store instance: right-click on a client profile, select "Edit client profile" menu item, the "Serviced by" field allows selecting a server hosting MailBox Store, effectively binding this client profile to the MailBox store instance.

Monday, October 10, 2005 6:08 PM

All replies

• I also have a simular problem with front end servers.  I presume the IIS server role is actually the exchange front end server role. 

I can create a new client profile and traget them to the back end server, but not through a particular front end server. 

How would a load balanced set of front end server be represented?

Thanks

Ben
    Monday, October 10, 2005 1:55 AM
  •  Ben Jackson wrote:
    We run dedicated public folder servers in our environment and there is no Public Folder server role built in

Yeah, we don't support public folders in v1 because there's no easy way to characterize and benchmark a "typical" public folder - everyone uses them differently! That's also why we haven't provided any workarounds: we really don't want people making hardware predictions based on very incomplete data. Sorry :(
    Monday, October 10, 2005 4:34 AM
  •  Ben Jackson wrote:
    How would a load balanced set of front end servers be represented?
    They (should!) load-balance automatically within an office, just like in real life.

[And yes, the IIS servers should have been renamed to front-end servers - we didn't do a full terminology scrub on this initial beta, sorry]
    Monday, October 10, 2005 4:37 AM
  • [but I can't find a mechanism for targeting users to the public folder server (as well as their home mailbox server).]

You can target a set of users (client profile) to a specific MailBox Store instance: right-click on a client profile, select "Edit client profile" menu item, the "Serviced by" field allows selecting a server hosting MailBox Store, effectively binding this client profile to the MailBox store instance.

Monday, October 10, 2005 6:08 PM