none
SCVMM+ESX-VC & MOM & SCCM

Question

•  

Hi,

How SCVMM is going to help to make the bridge between ESX/VC and MOM and SCCM ?

a) We use ESX3i (with VirtualCenter) and we would like to use MOM for ESX (host) monitoring.

b) For inventory we would like to see the ESX hosts as part of SCCM inventory (ESX Host inventory and ESX host HW inventory) ....

How SCVMM is going to answer to these points ?...

Until we move the whole env to Hyper-v ;-).  But this move is going to take several months/years... 

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 8:13 AM

Answers

• Matt has addressed some of your questions. Also, depending on your definition on the level of integration you need, the answer could be different. Your voices are heard, and there are certainly more work in the integration area can be done.

But, as you will find from our recent beta release, we have invested in the integration between SCVMM and SCOM and SCCM.

• In terms of monitoring and the "bridge" between VMware and SCOM, I'd highly recommend you to test drive our PRO (Performance and Resource Optimization) feature in SCVMM 2008 Beta release.
    • It is more than a "bridge" between SCVMM and SCOM. It's an enabler for admins to define advanced self-healing policies. It has the ability to manage across virtualization platforms.
    • In fact, through PRO, for example, you can define a policy, have SCOM monitor and trigger a VMotion VM migration all through the power of PRO.

Again, I'd highly recommend give our beta a try and let us know your feedback.

Thanks,

Cheng

Friday, May 02, 2008 7:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Flapoly,

The current version has nothing to do with ESX.  The new version which will be going beta very soon will support ESX hosts, however I do not believe that you will be able to directly monitor your hosts using SCOM (replacement for MOM) or inventory with SCCM.  However these questions would be better suited for the SCCM and SCOM forums.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=488&SiteID=17

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1738&SiteID=17

However with the new version of SCVMM you will be able to manage the ESX hosts which will allow you to have a heterogenous environment managed by the same software or end up simplifying your migration from one to the other.

SCOM would be able to manage the SCVMM server so it will most likely be able to pull information on host resources, and VMs on behalf of the hosts.

-matt

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 3:36 PM
  • Hi Matt,

I know there is no direct link between SCOM/SCCM and ESX/VC... So as SCVMM has the "VMware knowledge" to manage ESX/VC, I was hoping SCVMM can be used as a gateway/relay between SCOM/SCCM & ESX/VC... This will bring an added value in a VMware env used with Windows guests. But if this is not the case i do not see a clear added value for SCVMM for this kind of configuration... except helping to migrate to Hyper-v one day...

Let wait to see what is in the pre-release

Best Regards,

Friday, May 02, 2008 9:41 AM
  • SCVMM 2008 gives you the opportunity to connect to your Virtual Center server and manage your Microsoft virtualization and your VMware virtualization environments from one console (one view).

Will additional integration come?  I am sure that you can bet it will.

Does anyone know when?  Most likely a few program managers at Microsoft.

Since SCOM requires agents (or the proxy agent) installed on the servers - there is little SCOM can do with Virtual Center / ESX until VMware (or someone else) develops a management pack for their product.

Theoretically you could take advantage of SNMP using a relay agent..but I am just speculating there.

Friday, May 02, 2008 5:19 PM
  • Matt has addressed some of your questions. Also, depending on your definition on the level of integration you need, the answer could be different. Your voices are heard, and there are certainly more work in the integration area can be done.

But, as you will find from our recent beta release, we have invested in the integration between SCVMM and SCOM and SCCM.

• In terms of monitoring and the "bridge" between VMware and SCOM, I'd highly recommend you to test drive our PRO (Performance and Resource Optimization) feature in SCVMM 2008 Beta release.
    • It is more than a "bridge" between SCVMM and SCOM. It's an enabler for admins to define advanced self-healing policies. It has the ability to manage across virtualization platforms.
    • In fact, through PRO, for example, you can define a policy, have SCOM monitor and trigger a VMotion VM migration all through the power of PRO.

Again, I'd highly recommend give our beta a try and let us know your feedback.

Thanks,

Cheng

Friday, May 02, 2008 7:47 PM