none
Analyzing the Processor Queue length Performance data RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am having a hard time understanding and making a conclusion on what I am seing in the Processor Queue length Performance dashboard in SCOM.

About every servers I look in this dashboard show a relatively low CPU usage (around 40% of utilisation) but the Processor Queue length Performance on the other hand show data it has an average of 30 to 50.

From what I was able to gather on the Web is everyone saying that if the CPU Queue Length goes above 2 for a long period of time it could be translated to a CPU bottleneck. But since the _Total % of CPU is nowhere close full utilization, I have a hard time making a conlusion on wether I have to add another CPU.

Basically, I would like to get some input from peoples who might have had the same issues as this one and help me understanding this.

Note that our Windows servers are all hosted on VMware ESX so they are virtual.

Is there anyone who can explain that to me ?

Thanks

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 2:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Microsoft finally answered the question I had :

Perfmon provides relative information and hence we cannot judge the performance of disk / CPU directly. This value processor queue length shows number of threads in the processor. Since there is only one queue for all the processors in a CPU , the value you see here in perfmon has to be divided by the number of processors on the machine. Usually a value <10 is a good one.

Since my servers had 8 vCPU I had to devise by 8 the value showed in the SCOM console and it was way below 10, which is fine.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by Philippe.Masse Thursday, February 28, 2019 7:31 PM
    Thursday, February 28, 2019 7:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Great question indeed, can you post this question also on the Windows forums? I am sure you will reach a more suited audience for this particular question. Please drop a link to that question here as well, I'm curious to know the answer as well.

Cheers

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!) Blog:AnalyticOps Insights Twitter:Sameer Mhaisekar

Thursday, February 14, 2019 12:39 PM
  • Hi,

Here is the link :

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/analyzing-the-processor-queue-length-performance/bae890d1-0619-4dbb-ae93-33e00fc67763?tm=1550521197322

Hopefully someone will answer soon !

Thanks

Monday, February 18, 2019 8:21 PM
  • Thanks! I will definitely follow the thread :)

Can you close the thread here or would you like to keep it open for now?

Cheers

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!) Blog:AnalyticOps Insights Twitter:Sameer Mhaisekar

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 4:37 AM
  • Hi,

Microsoft finally answered the question I had :

Perfmon provides relative information and hence we cannot judge the performance of disk / CPU directly. This value processor queue length shows number of threads in the processor. Since there is only one queue for all the processors in a CPU , the value you see here in perfmon has to be divided by the number of processors on the machine. Usually a value <10 is a good one.

Since my servers had 8 vCPU I had to devise by 8 the value showed in the SCOM console and it was way below 10, which is fine.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by Philippe.Masse Thursday, February 28, 2019 7:31 PM
    Thursday, February 28, 2019 7:17 PM
  • I have a question here , if we can see Processor is available why still thread goes into queue ? 
    Sunday, August 4, 2019 4:10 AM