none
Error ID 1615 VMM is unable to perform this operation RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to connect to my VMM server either locally or from a remote workstation I get the following error:

VMM is unable to perform this operation to a Virtual Machine Manager Server

Use the Get-VMMServer cmdlet.....

Error ID 1615

I have re-installed the admin console on both the workstation and the server, I have re-installed the VMM server (keeping all libraries, etc.)

When I use the cmdlet above I get the same error message.

All services are running and a restart of them makes no difference nor does a server restart.

I have verified port 8100 is open and that I can connect to it.

The console on my workstation was working fine but I am not sure when it stoppped working

has anyone come across this or how to resolve it.

Thanks in advance,

John Paul

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 10:19 AM

Answers

• Thanks for reporting this issue.  I've seen this occur if the SQL database owner is indicated as NULL.  Try adding the SQL SA account as db owner.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Best Regards, Mike Briggs [MSFT] – Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Thursday, November 4, 2010 3:49 PM

All replies

• Please try this

To use VMM cmdlets in the VMM command shell

1. On a VMM server on which the VMM Administrator Console is installed, click Start, click All Programs, click Microsoft System Center, click Virtual Machine Manager 2008, and then click Windows PowerShell – Virtual Machine Manager.

2. Confirm that you are in the VMM environment by typing the following command at the command line:

Get-Help Get-VMMServer

A Help topic about the Get-VMMServer VMM cmdlet should be displayed.

To use VMM cmdlets in Windows PowerShell

1. On a VMM server on which the VMM Administrator Console is installed, click Start, click All Programs, click Windows PowerShell 1.0, and then click Windows PowerShell.

2. In Windows PowerShell, type the following command:

Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.SystemCenter.VirtualMachineManager

3. At the command prompt, type the following command to confirm that the Virtual Machine Manager snap-in was added:

Get-PSSnapin

If the VMM snap-in was successfully added, Microsoft.SystemCenter.VirtualMachineManager appears in the list of snap-ins.

Source http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc764234.aspx

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 1:57 PM
  • Hi,

I am not sure if I have been clear - I have no problems using teh VMM cmdlets, if I type Get-Help Get-VMMServer then the help is displayed, If I try to enter the command Get_VMMServer -ComputerName "Server.domain.local" -TCPPort 8101 I get the following:

Get-VMMServer : VMM is unable to perform this operation without a connection to
     a Virtual Machine Manager server. (Error ID: 1615)

Use the Get-VMMServer cmdlet or the -VMMServer parameter to connect to a Virtua
    l Machine Manager server. For more information, type at the command prompt: Get
    -Help Get-VMMServer -detailed.
    At line:1 char:14
    + Get-VMMServer <<<<  -ComputerName "Server.domain.local" -tcpport 8101
        + CategoryInfo          : ReadError: (:) [Get-VMMServer], CarmineException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 1615,Microsoft.SystemCenter.VirtualMachineManage
       r.Cmdlets.ConnectServerCmdlet

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:11 PM
  • Please try this

Get-VMMServer -ComputerName "YourVMMServer.fqdn.local"
    Get-VM -Name "NameOfYourVM"

or:

Get-VM -VMMServer "YourVMMServer.fqdn.local" -Name "NameOfYourVM"

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:27 PM
  • Same thing when I enter Get-VMMServer -ComputerName "server.domain.local"

Get-VMMServer : VMM is unable to perform this operation without a connection to
     a Virtual Machine Manager server. (Error ID: 1615)

Use the Get-VMMServer cmdlet or the -VMMServer parameter to connect to a Virtua
    l Machine Manager server. For more information, type at the command prompt: Get
    -Help Get-VMMServer -detailed.
    At line:1 char:14
    + Get-VMMServer <<<<  -ComputerName "server.domain.local"
        + CategoryInfo          : ReadError: (:) [Get-VMMServer], CarmineException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 1615,Microsoft.SystemCenter.VirtualMachineManage
       r.Cmdlets.ConnectServerCmdlet

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:07 PM
  • We are having exactly the same issue. Tried PowerShell - no luck. where can we go from here?
    GD
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 8:02 PM
  • Having the exact same issue as well.  It was working fine and then I started getting this error.  I've tried reinstalling and using the cmdlet and nothing works.  Hopefully someone has a solution for this.
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 12:50 AM
  • I have the same issue at 2 of my clients; we have this configured on 4 seperate systems so far and 2 have this issue -  50%... good number!

Seriously MS, we need answers on this!.

The full error message is:-

VMM is unable to perform this operation without a connection to a Virtual Machine Manager server.

Use the Get-VMMServer cmdlet or the -VMMServer parameter to connect to a Virtual Machine Manager Server. For more information, type at the command prompt: Get-Help Get-VMMServer -detailed.

ID: 1615

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 9:57 AM
  • Thanks for reporting this issue.  I've seen this occur if the SQL database owner is indicated as NULL.  Try adding the SQL SA account as db owner.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Best Regards, Mike Briggs [MSFT] – Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Thursday, November 4, 2010 3:49 PM
  • That's fixed it... excellent!

I have 2 problems with this whole process... the error is massively mis-leading and does not indicate a problem with database connection (it states connection to the server) and secondly, why does the admin console need to query the owner of the virtualmanagerDB anyway? If it has the security permissions to access it, why should it need the owner info?

SQL Management Studio will not allow the DB owner to be changed if the account has been deleted and cannot be restored. You can use the following oSQL string at a regular (non-powershell) command prompt:-

osql -E -S SERVER/INSTANCENAME -Q "USE VirtualManagerDB; EXEC sp_changedbowner 'sa'"

Monday, November 8, 2010 9:27 AM
  • It worked for me!!!  I had to use the following command in a normal command prompt (no PowerShell):

osql -E -S SRVVMM\MICROSOFT$VMM$ -Q "USE VirtualManagerDB; EXEC sp_changedbowner 'sa'"

Where SRVVMM is my VMM Manager Server Netbios name, and the instance is the default "Microsoft$VMM$.

I think it should be necessary also to enable TCP/IP on the SQL Server Configuration Manager in order to be able to issue the command, but not totally sure.

Jose Angel Rivera
    • Proposed as answer by apazman123 Thursday, December 6, 2012 9:08 PM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:47 PM
  • The console works if you are running it on the server that houses the "Microsoft$VMM$" SQL instance but it fails when connecting from any other server.

I've setup the VMM using the default SQL Express. Under SQL Server Configuration Manager enable the TCP/IP and Named Pipes Protocols. SQL service needs to restart.

This fixed the issue of Error ID 1615.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:48 PM
  • Hello,

I've the same problem, but I don't know how to change the account owner of the database SQL for my scvmm 2008 r2.

I don't know SQL, so please, if answer to my question, make it easy :)

Thank you very much,

Alessandro

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 8:34 AM
  • Hello,

I've the same problem, but I don't know how to change the account owner of the database SQL for my scvmm 2008 r2.

I don't know SQL, so please, if answer to my question, make it easy :)

Thank you very much,

Alessandro

Hello,

I find a procedure to make it at this link:

http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2477/property-owner-is-not-available-for-database-ssms-error/

I post it in case it might be helpful to some other user that had my same question! :)

Ciao,

Alessandro

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 11:14 AM
  • You can try to reboot the server. 

I rebooted the server and the error disappeared. Hope this helps you.

Thanks

Ming Ma

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:16 AM
  • Hello,

I have just encountered the above issue, and have performed all the above steps including.

• backing up the old DB and creating      a new one during a fresh install of SCVMM then restoring the old DB tables      to the new instance.
    • the DB dose have an owner listed.
    • Port 8100 is being listened to by      the local host, though i see the message can not obtain ownership      information when i do a netstat -a -b command
    • i have tried to add the [sa] acount to the DB and get the error

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    ------------------------------

Create failed for User 'SA'.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

Cannot use the special principal 'sa'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 15405)

any help would be grateful as this issue has blocked 60 % of my test enviorment

Chris

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:03 AM
  • Thank so very much! I discovered yesterday i had the same problem on my production server and your solution fixed it.

It saved me an awful lot of time and from a massive load of stress!

A big thank you to all three of you balboa41, williams101 and mlbriggs. You saved my day.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 2:06 PM
  • This can also happen after a domain rename. The DB will still have the old domain in it that has to be renamed for the connecting users under Security.
    Tuesday, June 28, 2016 9:03 PM