none
Is there a way to turn off "ratings" when migrating a VM? RRS feed

• Question

• I completely understand why Microsoft provided the ratings scheme but there are times when you (the human) know you need to move a VM from one host to another and waiting for the "ratings" to populate can be complete waste of time.  Is there a way to at least temporarily turn ratings off?

Sunday, May 20, 2012 2:20 AM

All replies

• Hello Robert,

If you provision your VM through NOT HOST but through Cloud it will take less time.

And for wasting time , it should get ratings because if you have over 100 Hyperv host and cluster , you can not exactly know which server has more resources.

That should calculate which server is available for provisioning. Otherwise you have to connect all your over 100 servers , or write a script to identify which host has more resources.

By the way , if you have less server you can use Powershell Scripts for provisioning.

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language) Please note that I'm not a Microsoft Representative or SpokesPerson.

Sunday, May 20, 2012 12:29 PM
  • You can open a powershell window and do a Move-VM command. If it is a live migration, you basically only need to specify the VM and target host. Let me know if you need a sample script to assist you.
    Monday, May 21, 2012 1:40 AM
  • Thanks.

I can handle the Move-SCVirtualMachine command but just find it frustrating that you guys spend millions of dollars building a GUI and I have to resort to a PowerShell command because the admin can't turn off ratings when desired.    My GUI "holy grail" would be able to drag and drop a bunch of machines between hosts and have the option for VMM 2012 to move the machines sequentially rather than all at once.

Monday, May 21, 2012 4:03 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.   I only have 10 Hyper-V Hosts so admittedly VMM 2012 could be considered overkill but there are times when an admin "knows" which Host a machine or set of machines should be on and the ratings just get in the way and I'd like to use the GUI just for simplicities sake.

Monday, May 21, 2012 4:09 PM