none
SCE 2010 - Java 6.32 software package installation - error 0x80070643 on certain workstations

Question

• I have tried searching this issue but was unable to find a thread with similar issues. So apologies if this has been posted, but I couldn't find it.

I have created a custom Java installation with a transforms file.
    I have created the software package and published it to the All Windows Clients group.

I have 167 workstations in this group. 148 have installed the update OK. But 19 of them report the following error from the Software Deployment Status:-
    "Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Java(TM) 6 Update 32."
    The clients in question are running Vista SP2 x86

All clients were running Java 6.29 previously. I have a script taken from appdeploy.com that removes all Java versions, yet this fails on any of these 19 clients, with windows installer error 1603.
    I have also tried using msiexec from a remote cmd prompt to un-install 6.29, but that fails with error 1603 also.

Any ideas how I can push the package to the 19 troublesome clients?

Monday, May 14, 2012 3:29 PM

Answers

• I have solved this issue now.

I think there was an issue with the 6.32 installer removing the 6.29 installation.
    I have used the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove the corrupt 6.29 installation.

Now the 6.32 software deployment installs OK.

• Marked as answer by R.Clarke Monday, May 21, 2012 1:22 PM
    Monday, May 21, 2012 1:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Just for a test, please perform the installation with the software package on the Windows Vista computer locally and see if it works.

Meanwhile, how about other packages? Can they be deployed to the Windows Vista computers successfully?

Nicholas Li

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 4:13 AM
  • I have tried the following.

Copying the msi & mst locally, installing from the command prompt, specifying the mst - Failed error 1603.
    Tried just using the msi normally and through cmd prompt - Failed error 1603.
    Tried to remove Java 6.29 - failed error 1603.

Have installed a different msi - Installed OK.
    Removed the same software - Removed OK.

So I think this is a specific Java error as I cannot remove the older version either. Yet other software packages install ok using Windows Installer, so I don't think it is a Windows Installer issue, more a specific Java issue.
    I will try to find a sloution specifically for Java.

I will post back the results if/when I find them so it may help someone else with similar issues.

Friday, May 18, 2012 11:32 AM
  • I have solved this issue now.

I think there was an issue with the 6.32 installer removing the 6.29 installation.
    I have used the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove the corrupt 6.29 installation.

Now the 6.32 software deployment installs OK.

• Marked as answer by R.Clarke Monday, May 21, 2012 1:22 PM
    Monday, May 21, 2012 1:22 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

I am glad to know the issue has been resolved and hope what you shared with us will benefit other users. Your time and efforts are highly appreciated. In the future, if you experience any issues regarding our products or if you have any feedbacks, you are also welcome to post a new thread in our forum. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Nicholas Li

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:47 AM