none
PXE OS Deployment

Question

• Hello colleagues.

I will be very pleasured if anyone can help me in solving problem, here it is:
    Test environment:
    Srv#1 Windows Server 2008 SP1 [AD DS, DHCP, DNS]
    Srv#2 Windows Server 2008 SP1 [SQL 2005]
    Srv#3 Windows Server 2008 SP1 [SCCM SP1(DP, RP), IIS + etc]
    Srv#4 Windows Server 2008 SP1 [SCCM SP1(MP, DP, PXE, SUP), IIS, WDS, MDT]
    Client Windows XP SP3

All this stuff are in different LAN:
    Srv#1-4: 10.1.0.0
    Client : 10.1.209.0

Problem:
    I try to use SCCM OS Deployment using PXE Initiated Operating System Deployment. I prepare SCCM environment - add network drivers to Boot images, deploy them to PXE DP on srv#3, create Task sequence using MDT, deploy all relevant packages to DP and etc. On DHCP server I create scope 10.1.209.0 and check to answer on both DHCP and BOOTP requests. I check that ClientXP can acquire IP from DHCP on srv#1 (from defines above scope), can resolve DNS name and function normally in my domain.

Then I reboot ClientXP, select boot from network and
    nothing happened. I got error:

PXE-E51: No DHCP or proxyDHCP offers were received.

PXE-M0F: Exiting intel boot agent

this mean I cannot get IP from my DHCP server. But while I’m in windows - I can get it!
    Please, help me troubleshoot this problem. May be some articles about logs and monitoring, or etc.
    Configuring Cisco or etc...

Friday, May 08, 2009 10:11 AM

Answers

All replies

• The qestion is still open... some investigation and result from toppic http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrosd/thread/24808822-6343-47e5-8699-5a180f83e3f6 i have to check this:

1.     Network configuration:

1.1.   DHCP options (http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/bootp/options.htm):

1.1.1. Configure FQDN of SCCM server Option 66 (Description: TFTP server name)

1.1.2. Configure with boot file Option 67 (Description: Boot file name)

1.1.3. Check empty Option 60 (Description: This is value tell PXE clients where to find the OS deployment server)

In other way my DHCP scope must be configured:

# Configure

option 66 "<FQDN of SCCM server>"

option 67 "SMSBoot\X86\wdsnbp.com"

# MUST NOT be configures
    option 60 not configured

1.2.   Configure Cisco ( switch or router) options: 

1.2.1. Configure allow to transmit all dhcp and bootp packets by using either one of commands:

1.2.1.1.         ip dhcp relay information trust-all (Description: Configure all interfaces on a router as trusted sources of the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) relay agent information option, use the ip dhcp relay information trust-all command in global configuration mode. To restore the interfaces to their default behavior, use the no form of the command).

1.2.1.2.          ip dhcp relay information trusted (Description: Description: Configure selected interfaces on a router as trusted sources of the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) relay agent information option)

1.2.2. Configure allow to transmit all dhcp and bootp packets directly to DHCP server using command ip helper-address <IP address>( Description: This subcommand tells the router to forward UDP broadcasts, including BootP, received on this interface to <IP address>)

1.2.3. Configure allow to transmit all dhcp and bootp packets directly to PXE server using command ip helper-address <IP address>

So Cisco must be configured as follows:

#

# Configure router to permit all dhcp and bootp packets

ip dhcp relay information trust-all

#

# this will configure forward dhcp and bootp packets to dhcp server

ip forward-protocol udp

interface <ethernet interface to witch DHCP broadcast packets from client go>

ip helper-address <IP Addres of DHCP Server>

#

# this will configure forward dhcp and bootp packets to Server with PXE Service point

ip forward-protocol udp

interface <ethernet interface to witch DHCP broadcast packets from client go>

ip helper-address <IP Addres of PXE Server>

Or more secure manner configuration must be as follows:

#

# Configure router to permit all dhcp and bootp packets

interface <ethernet interface to witch DHCP and BootP broadcast packets go>

ip dhcp relay information trusted

#

# this will configure forward dhcp and bootp packets to dhcp server

ip forward-protocol udp

#

# this will configure forward dhcp and bootp packets to Server with PXE Service point

ip forward-protocol udp

I check this, and post results later...
    Friday, May 08, 2009 6:14 PM
  • Yes. All prerequirenments from this post are done. Any other desicions?
    Friday, May 08, 2009 9:28 PM
  • Hi,

I was aloso facing smiliar kind of isssue... so the are the following action taken to resolve this.

1. Port fast (STP) enable in cisco switch,

2. IP helper enabled in router. 1st put the sccm server ip then dhcp server ip .. i belive it will solve your problem....

Or for better trouble shootting put all server in small switch or hub  and test it ... so you can understand the problem....is not lies from network.

regards,

raju

Regards, Raju Kumar Ram
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 1:09 PM
  • I would investigate the DHCP packages with Wireshark / MS Network Monitor. On both your DHCP server and on the PXE/TFTP-server. Look into what is happening with your DHCP traffic, the packages DHCP Discover, Offer, Request and Ack. While you boot your client into PXE.

Should point you in the right direction.

------------------------------------
    Kenneth Titlestad
    http://deploymenttech.com/

MCSE, MCTS:SCCM, MCSA, MCP

Sunday, May 10, 2009 2:42 PM
  • Ok. So here it goes! Everything is work for now!
    Solving an issue was
    (1) Check answer http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrosd/thread/24808822-6343-47e5-8699-5a180f83e3f6
    (2) And configure network router:

# Configure

interface VlanOSDeploy

ip dhcp relay information trusted

ip forward-protocol udp

ip address <IP Addres of router>

ip directed-broadcast

After this my PC can get basic network configuration: IP, Subnet, DNS, Getway and DHCP option 66-67 and thus connect to WDS and solve it's advertisement!
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 12:52 PM