none
Active Directory cross forest-migration enabled mailbox RRS feed

• Question

• i have a resources and account AD forest that contains both exchange 2013 and user accounts as well.

we are going to migrate user accounts and computers to the another forest B but mailboxes will stay in forest A.

so with moving SID history of users from forest A to forest B, will users be able to continue accessing to their mailboxes?

or should we create linked mailboxes for them in the resource forest, in this case should be extend the AD schema of the forest B with Exchange Binaries?

thanks in advance

Friday, July 3, 2020 10:20 AM

All replies

• you can covert the user mailbox to linked mailbox in the source forest A where exchange 2013 is present and the user accounts are migrated to target forest B.

Set-User <userID> -LinkedMasterAccount  AccountDomain\UserID  -LinkedDomainController AccountDomainControllerFQDN

Please make sure to satisfy the requirements for Linked mailbox like AD trust, etc. Also, you can perform this on a test account before  applying it for the production mailboxes

References:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/recipients/linked-mailboxes?view=exchserver-2019#:~:text=A%20trust%20between%20the%20Exchange,forest%20trusts%20the%20account%20forest.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/recipients/linked-mailboxes?view=exchserver-2019

Thanks,
    Ashok M My blog

Saturday, July 4, 2020 8:16 PM
  • Just to check if there are any updates. If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as an answer, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thanks,
    Ashok M My blog

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 6:13 AM
  • Hi,

I'm here to confirm with you if your issue has been resolved. If the problem is successfully solved, you can share your solution and mark them or the helpful reply as answer, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Regards,

Eric Yin

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 13, 2020 1:43 AM