none
Does Hyper V support nested VM

Question

• Is it possible to run server 2012 (RC , full and server core tried both but failed) as a VM (so far i only attempted in Oracle virutal box all else failed) and with its hyperV-v3 role enabled ? i wanted to try out all the features for system center - virtual machine manager 2012 ctp2 in specific ..but i stumbled in the first step to even enable the feature when the server is a vm

i was able to run ESXi 5 as a vm and able to do nested vm within it, so it is not possible with Hyper V ?

thanks

• Edited by jccccck2013 Wednesday, August 08, 2012 9:16 PM
    Wednesday, August 08, 2012 9:15 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can run Hyper-V in a VM (use Hyper-V Server) or Core.

The GUI blocks the role additiona so you need to use DISM or PowerShell to add the role to Server.

Client has a tougher hardware check and won't enable at all.

You will not be able to run VMs, just quire the API such as using to develop against it.

Yes, there is an old hack to run ESX in a VM and have it run a VM, but Hyper-V will not do this.

You can also run XenServer in a VM and have it run VMs.  But it will only run PV VMs, not HVM type VMs.  Hyper-V only runs HVM type VMs.  The block is the same.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 11:10 PM
  • if you want to enable Hyper-V within a virtual machine, dism is the only method you can use. PowerShell command will fail.

The similar questions had been asked many times in Hyper-V forum. Hyper-V need hardware environment, especially some processor feature such as Intel VT or AMD VX. However, most of the virtualization application can't make these features pass-through into the virtual machine, so you will not be able to use Hyper-V if you install it in those virtual machine.

The latest VMware workstation can pass-through the above process feature into virtual machine, so you will be able to enable Hyper-V in a VMware workstation virtual machine. But please remember, this is not recommended in a production environment.

Thursday, August 09, 2012 2:24 AM

All replies

• Yes, you can run Hyper-V in a VM (use Hyper-V Server) or Core.

The GUI blocks the role additiona so you need to use DISM or PowerShell to add the role to Server.

Client has a tougher hardware check and won't enable at all.

You will not be able to run VMs, just quire the API such as using to develop against it.

Yes, there is an old hack to run ESX in a VM and have it run a VM, but Hyper-V will not do this.

You can also run XenServer in a VM and have it run VMs.  But it will only run PV VMs, not HVM type VMs.  Hyper-V only runs HVM type VMs.  The block is the same.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 11:10 PM
  • if you want to enable Hyper-V within a virtual machine, dism is the only method you can use. PowerShell command will fail.

The similar questions had been asked many times in Hyper-V forum. Hyper-V need hardware environment, especially some processor feature such as Intel VT or AMD VX. However, most of the virtualization application can't make these features pass-through into the virtual machine, so you will not be able to use Hyper-V if you install it in those virtual machine.

The latest VMware workstation can pass-through the above process feature into virtual machine, so you will be able to enable Hyper-V in a VMware workstation virtual machine. But please remember, this is not recommended in a production environment.

Thursday, August 09, 2012 2:24 AM
  • Hello,

I want to prepare on testing lab in my office and need to create VM with ESXi 5.1 on hyper-v server.

Please give me setps to create VM with ESXi 5.1 OS on hyper-v.

I had tried to installed the ESXI 5.1 on hyper-v host as a VM but its giving me error "No network adapters were detected. Either no physically adapter are physically connected to the system, or suitable driver could not be loaded."

Please help me.

Thanks

Avnish

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 5:04 PM
  • ESX (like Hyper-V) requires direct access to the hardware.  It will not install unless it feels it has this, which in a VM it does not.

There are emulated ways to spoof the hardware to a VM that supports hypervisors in VMs.  I believe that VMware Workstation can do this.  And possibly VirtualBox, however, Hyper-V cannot.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 6:20 PM

• I hate to disagree but it IS possible.

You need to tweak the ESXi installation ISO a little bit in order to support some drivers. Using this customized install it runs ESXi as a VM on HyperV. And VM 's 'inside' on the ESXi HyperVisor..

Search (google) for -an already compiled- "tulip.vib".  Migrate it with your ESXi ISO (using ESXi-customizer) and you are good to go.

Once installed:

Adjust any newly created -ESX- VM by adding the line: vmx.allowNested TRUE

Remarks:

The downside is you cannot run a 64bit OS on the nested VM.

Off course, as allready mentioned, this is not best practice. But for learning purposes.. why not? :)

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:39 PM
  • You can run Hyper-V in a VM using ESX 5 or Vmware Workstation 9 or higher. I have done it. ESX has better performance and memory usage of course. I was able to run an extremely resource intensive class MS  10747 and MS 10748 in my home lab for self  training purposes. 

Needs a CPU that supports nested virt (EPT), sufficeient memory and disk appropriate in performance

Feel free to contact me if you need any help.

I am interested in trying it on Client Hyper-V in Windows 8.x. Has anyone got nested virtualization working?

David Papkin

http://www.yatedo.com/davidpapkin
    http://www.davidpapkin.com

http://davidpapkin.wordpress.com

Friday, March 21, 2014 3:24 AM