none
Adding Company Knowledge with OpsMgr 2012 Console - "Failed to launch Microsoft Word"

Question

• Hi everyone!

I'm trying to add company knowledge using the OpsMgr 2012 console (32-bit) on Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit) using the guidelines provided at the following link...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh212900.aspx

I'm using Office 2010 Pro Plus SP1 (32-bit) with the .NET Programmability feature and the Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Second Edition Runtime installed, but I get the dreaded "failed to launch Microsoft Word" error...

...any help or guidance would be greatly apprecaited!

Regards,

JJ

Monday, June 18, 2012 4:30 PM

Answers

• Thanks Andres!

I have confirmed that the following instructions does allow you to use Word 2010 32-bit running on Windows 7 64-bit or Windows Server 2008 R2 to edit company knowledge...

1. Go to the directory where the OpsMgr console is installed (example: C:\Program Files\System Center\Operations Manager 2012\Console )
    2. Make a copy of Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Monitoring.Console.exe.config
    3. Edit Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Monitoring.Console.exe.config using Administrator rights
    4. Search for “</dependentAssembly>” and remove the “<publisherPolicy apply="no" />” line immediately following the “</dependentAssembly>” line

Hope this helps!

Regards,

JJ

Friday, August 10, 2012 11:38 AM
  • Hallo,

Hotfix release on progress. Wait till you hear back. 

-Chandan

Check my blogs at http://blogs.technet.com/chandanbharti ============================================================ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, June 18, 2012 6:08 PM

All replies

• Hallo,

Hotfix release on progress. Wait till you hear back. 

-Chandan

Check my blogs at http://blogs.technet.com/chandanbharti ============================================================ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, June 18, 2012 6:08 PM
  • Thanks Chandan!!  :-)
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:54 AM
  • Try this post...the components can be all be freely downloaded from MS (except for Word 2003).  

http://2012scom.blogspot.com/

Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:18 PM
  • Afternoon,

Any update on the status of the hotfix?

B

Monday, July 23, 2012 9:54 PM
  • Any updates for hotfix ?

Until - http://2012scom.blogspot.com/2012/07/having-trouble-attempting-to-edit.html#comment-form there ( in 2'nd comment) is some workaround. It is litle fuzzy ( some information is missing ) but in generall - does what needed.

(was same issue  on W7 Ent 64-bit, Office 2010 32 bit, Scom 2012 Console, VS 2005 Tools SE Runtime installed)

Thursday, August 09, 2012 8:58 AM
  • Thanks Andres!

I have confirmed that the following instructions does allow you to use Word 2010 32-bit running on Windows 7 64-bit or Windows Server 2008 R2 to edit company knowledge...

1. Go to the directory where the OpsMgr console is installed (example: C:\Program Files\System Center\Operations Manager 2012\Console )
    3. Edit Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Monitoring.Console.exe.config using Administrator rights
    4. Search for “</dependentAssembly>” and remove the “<publisherPolicy apply="no" />” line immediately following the “</dependentAssembly>” line

Hope this helps!

Regards,

JJ

Friday, August 10, 2012 11:38 AM
  • I don't know if this would be the same for everyone but in my case the example path you list is slightly wrong.

You have yours listed as follows

C:\Program Files\System Center\Operations Manager 2012\Console

Mine is as follows

c:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2012\Console

Monday, December 10, 2012 1:18 AM
  • This didn't work for me...is there any update on the hotfix?  Why didn't SP1 fix this?
    Friday, March 08, 2013 8:13 PM
  • We ran into the same issue initially. We have Microsoft Word 2010 installed. The initial error message that we received was this when trying to edit product/company knowledge in the console:

Microsoft Office

The assembly * could not be found at  or could not be loaded.

The OpsManager console appeared to hang when trying to launch Word. When looking at task manager, we noticed that Word had actually started. There was a dialog box hiding behind the OpsManager console with the above error message and if OpsManager was running in full screen mode, you couldn't get to it. The same message was written to the event log under 'Applications and Service logs'-->Microsoft Office Alerts.

For us, the key was really to make sure that http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24263 was installed. Our box already had a later version of the Visual Studio tools installed (both 2008 / 2010). When i checked the *.config file referenced above, the additional entries with <publisherPolicy="no"/> did not exist in the config file. So there was nothing for us to remove.

All it took to make it work for us is to install the right version of the Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Runtime. Then it worked.

Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by mydigitallife Friday, May 17, 2013 1:22 AM
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 12:32 PM
  • This worked for us with Word 2010.
    Friday, May 17, 2013 1:23 AM
  • Dear Microsoft!

It is going ridiculous for now.

I managed to get it working with Windows 7 (64 bit)  , but now at SCOM 2012 SP1 RU3 it doesnt apply anymore.

This is insane to requrie today 32 bit OS with Office 2010 for editing company KB. Or is this function mean to deprecate and is not more relevant for customers.

PLEASE make it work with Windows 8(8.1) , 64 bit, Office 2013 (32 bit)!

• Edited by Andres P Tuesday, November 05, 2013 7:16 AM
    Tuesday, November 05, 2013 7:16 AM
  • My first vote would be that you remove the reliance on Word completely. This is not well thought out. Second, if you won't do that, make it work with your products out of the box. I do not understand why I have to jump through so many hoops to use a feature of a product.

Friday, February 14, 2014 11:26 PM
  • I agree. Integrating word was not a good idea from the word go. It seems it would be easier just export the management pack and learn the MAML syntax than getting word 2013 x64 to work with ScOM 2012 r2.  Perhaps an installer that checks the environment and proposes the correct components would be much more helpful.  How do you sell a client on company knowledge when you can't get it to work on their servers/workstations to edit it?

Monitoring is the art of looking for something you don't want to find.

Thursday, June 05, 2014 3:21 PM
  • Thanks Andres!

Hope this helps!

Regards,

JJ

Well, firstly I have to agree with other people's comments along the lines of "It shouldn't be this hard!", but I can happily say that the solution above (by IM5FOOTNOTHIN) worked for me...once I noticed this crucial footnote: "Do this for ALL instances of the <publisherPolicy apply="no" /> line that immediately follow the </dependentAssembly> line"
    Monday, December 01, 2014 12:24 PM