none
SCVMM 2012 Installation Fails

Question

• Hi,

SCVMM Installation fails everytime with the below exception? appreciate anyone's help!

06:28:50:VMMPostinstallProcessor threw an exception: Threw Exception.Type: Microsoft.VirtualManager.Setup.Exceptions.BackEndErrorException, Exception.Message: VMM cannot start the service. Service name: SCVMMService
    Click Start, click in the Search programs and files box, type services.msc, and then press Enter. Right-click the service name, and then click Start.
    06:28:50:StackTrace:   at Microsoft.VirtualManager.Setup.Inspect.InspectHelper.StartService(String serviceName, String machineName, Boolean restart)
       at Microsoft.VirtualManager.Setup.ServiceConfigurationHandler.StartService(String serviceName, String machineName)
       at Microsoft.VirtualManager.Setup.InstallItemCustomDelegates.PangaeaServerPostinstallProcessor()
    06:28:50:InnerException.Type: System.ServiceProcess.TimeoutException, InnerException.Message: Time out has expired and the operation has not been completed.
    06:28:51:InnerException.StackTrace:   at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.WaitForStatus(ServiceControllerStatus desiredStatus, TimeSpan timeout)
       at Microsoft.VirtualManager.Setup.Inspect.InspectHelper.StartService(String serviceName, String machineName, Boolean restart)
    06:28:51:ProcessInstalls: Running the PostProcessDelegate returned false.
    06:28:51:ProcessInstalls: Running the PostProcessDelegate for PangaeaServer failed.... This is a fatal item.  Setting rollback.

These are my environment details.

Domain Functional Level: Windows Server 2008 R2

VMM OS                              : Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1

SQL Server                          : SQL 2008 R2 (Remote Server)

VMM Features                 : Management server & Console

Account used to Install  : Domain account (scadmin) part of local administrator as well domain admin group (have tried also with just local admin rights)

Service account                : Tried both domain account (scadmin) as well local account

Thanks,

Senthil

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 2:23 PM

Answers

• Thank you all for the suggestions!

I finally narrow down to the root case, there was issue in the hyper-v, resource allocations were not happening properly. I completely wiped off the system and re-configured it, after that I was able to install VMM.

thanks,

Senthil

-Senthil

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 3:57 PM

All replies

• Hi

Are there any errors windows system log, especially kerberos or SPN errors, or anything in the application log?

Domain Account with local admin rights is fine for install. Do you have SQL sysadmin rights on the SQL Server where the VMM database is being created? Perhaps take a look in the SQL Server error log to see if there is anything there.

Cheers

Graham

Regards Graham New System Center 2012 Blog! - http://www.systemcentersolutions.co.uk
    View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 12:30 PM
  • Im running into the same error message, however when i go to the services to start it. The service is not in there. Logs show no errors. Advice?

Friday, August 17, 2012 1:22 AM
  • "Time out has expired and the operation has not been completed."

The service is being created and then it is timing out when starting so my guess (and it is only a guess) is that it is either permissions related on the VMM or SQL Server.

On the VMM Server - double check it is local admin and that there are no group policies that restrict local administrators.

On the SQL Server - any errors in the SQL Server error log on the SQL Server that you are (trying to) use for VMM?

Cheers

Graham

Regards Graham New System Center 2012 Blog! - http://www.systemcentersolutions.co.uk
    View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/

Friday, August 17, 2012 7:00 AM
  • Hi Senthil,

It seems  like there is a problem with SQL connection:

On the Database Configuration screen, enter in the name of your SQL database server (SVCMM if using the locally installed SQL instance) and leave port blank. You can leave “use the following credentials” blank if you are installing to the local SQL server. You can enter credentials here to connect to a remote SQL server if your user account you are running setup as does not have enough rights over the instance to create a database. Ensure “New Database” is checked and use the default name or change it to suit your naming standards. Click Next when this screen is complete.

Please check....

Thursday, August 23, 2012 11:28 AM
  • Thank you all for the suggestions!

I finally narrow down to the root case, there was issue in the hyper-v, resource allocations were not happening properly. I completely wiped off the system and re-configured it, after that I was able to install VMM.

thanks,

Senthil

-Senthil

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 3:57 PM
  • Hi, can you please elaborate on exactly what you did to resolve the problem? I am sitting with the same problem when trying to install VMM 2012 on a virtual machine (Cannot start the SCVMM service). I have reinstalled SQL several times, done all the pre-requisites, configured all service accounts correctly etc. It works in my DEV environment on a VM, but not in PROD. I cannot seem to pinpoint what the difference is between the two environment in order to resolve the problem.

Thank you

Monday, October 29, 2012 11:44 AM
  • I'd like to know too - clean install 3 times and still running into this...

Thanks

-Andrew

Monday, January 27, 2014 10:28 PM