none
Attachment size restriction on mobile devices RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Exchange 2016 CU14. I have two servers in a DAG environment.

I had a user report the inability to send an email to other internal recipients from his mobile device. The error:

EasSendFailedPermanentException: An EAS Send command failed: Unable to send the message: either the send quota has been exceeded; or the message was too large; or the mailbox is over-quota. Exchange ActiveSync error details: SendQuotaExceed, Code ='115'.

Our message size threshold should be set at 50MB, and this was a 7.4MB attachment (so just over 10MB after conversion). While looking into this using Get-TransportConfig I saw two configuration values that showed a 10MB limit.

ExternalDsnMaxMessageAttachSize  : 10 MB
    InternalDsnMaxMessageAttachSize   : 10 MB

However after changing these to 50MB (and even restarting MSExchangeTransport and MSExchangeFrontEndTransport services on both servers) I'm still unable to send a file larger than 10MB via mobile. I can send it with Outlook with no error.

Is there another setting somewhere I'm missing? 

Thursday, November 14, 2019 9:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• Is there another setting somewhere I'm missing? 

Yes, it's defined in the .config files of the webservice, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/Exchange/architecture/client-access/client-message-size-limits?view=exchserver-2019

Please be aware that each new CU has the potential of overwriting the changes you make to those files.

Evgenij Smirnov

http://evgenij.smirnov.de

• Marked as answer by JGrover Tuesday, November 19, 2019 3:42 AM
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 10:17 PM
  • Hi,

Does the user can send emails from Outlook and OWA successfully?

If this issue only occurs with mobile device, as Evgenij Smirnov mentioned, you should configure web.config file on the Mailbox server to modify limits for Exchange ActiveSync. The maximum size for a message sent by Exchange ActiveSync client is 10 MB by default. For reference: Server limits

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by JGrover Tuesday, November 19, 2019 3:42 AM
    Friday, November 15, 2019 7:14 AM
  • Yes, Outlook on the desktop as well as OWA can send the files fine.

The article about configuring server limits states the following:

========================================\

By default, there is no maxAllowedContentLength key in the web.config files for ActiveSync. However, the maximum message size for ActiveSync is affected by the maxAllowedContentLength value that is applied to all web sites on the server. The default value is 30000000 bytes.

========================================/

I have confirmed the maxAllowedContentLength value in my web.config was set to this value (I bumped it up to match my other attachment limits, which is 50MB) so this shouldn't have restricted a message that was just over 10MB.

In the Server Limits document I see some commands to change the EAS value from the command line that I could try, however if it's only going to modify the maxAllowedContentLength value that isn't going to fix my problem. One of the values however is for maxRequestLength which seems to default to 10MB so maybe it's that.

• Edited by JGrover Friday, November 15, 2019 1:35 PM
    Friday, November 15, 2019 1:31 PM
  • Well, the article linked above clearly states that the item size in ActiveSync is also governed by

maxRequestLength (default 10MB)

and

MaxDocumentDataSize (default 10MB)

Evgenij Smirnov

http://evgenij.smirnov.de

Friday, November 15, 2019 1:56 PM
  • Well, the article linked above clearly states that the item size in ActiveSync is also governed by

maxRequestLength (default 10MB)

and

MaxDocumentDataSize (default 10MB)

Sorry, I had a case of the dumbs when I first read that link.

Making these changes and issuing an iisreset resolved the issue. Thanks.

For posterity, I did the following on both servers:

- Edited the web.config file in %ExchangeInstallPath%FrontEnd\HttpProxy\Sync to change the maxRequestLength from 10240 to 50000000 (to match my maxAllowedContentLength value).

- Did the same for the web.config file in %ExchangeInstallPath%ClientAccess\Sync.

- Issued the following command from an administrative command prompt on both servers:

%windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd.exe set config "Exchange Back End/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync/" -section:appSettings /[key='MaxDocumentDataSize'].value:50000000

- Issued iisreset command on both servers.

• Edited by JGrover Tuesday, November 19, 2019 3:46 AM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 3:42 AM
  • It's great that your issue is solved, here is a brief summary for quick reference.

Issue Symptom

========================================

Use Exchange 2016 CU14, have two servers in a DAG environment.

Had a user report the inability to send an email to other internal recipients from his mobile device. The error:

EasSendFailedPermanentException: An EAS Send command failed: Unable to send the message: either the send quota has been exceeded; or the message was too large; or the mailbox is over-quota. Exchange ActiveSync error details: SendQuotaExceed, Code ='115'.

Outlook on the desktop as well as OWA can send the files fine.

Cause

The maximum size for a message sent by Exchange ActiveSync client is 10 MB by default. We hould configure web.config file on the Mailbox server to modify limits for Exchange ActiveSync. 

Solution

1. Confirmed the maxAllowedContentLength value in web.config was set to 30000000 bytes, then bumped it up to match my other attachment limits, which is 50MB.

2. Edited the web.config file in %ExchangeInstallPath%FrontEnd\HttpProxy\Sync to change the maxRequestLength from 10240 to 50000000 (to match my maxAllowedContentLength value).

3. Did the same for the web.config file in %ExchangeInstallPath%ClientAccess\Sync.

4. Issued the following command from an administrative command prompt on both servers:

%windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd.exe set config "Exchange Back End/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync/" -section:appSettings /[key='MaxDocumentDataSize'].value:50000000

5. Issued iisreset command on both servers.

Reference Links

Server limits

Configure client-specific message size limits

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 4:01 PM