none
Description of Deployment Re-evaluation

Question

•  

I have a scenario where I am trying to grasp whether a patch was deployed via the traditional evaluation or a Re-evaluaion.

Here is the scenario, a machine was assigned a "Deployment Management Object" that contained an IE 7 patch.  At the time the object was originally assigned the machine did not have IE 7 installed.  At a later time IE 7 was installed and then the patch was pushed to the machine.  Was this achieved through Re-evaluation or normal evaluation? 

I am seeing entries in the ScanAgen.log that seem to indicate it was a "re-evaluation"

Here is the entry: (I am guessing the ForceReScan=2, means it is a re-scan)

*****ScanByUpdates request received with ForceReScan=2, ScanOptions=0x00000002, DownloadPriority = 2, LocationTimeout = 604800, DownloadTimeout = 1209600, PerDPInactivityTimeout = 0, TotalInactivityTimeout = 0, DPLocalityFlags = 10, ForceInventory=0

If it was a re-evaluation that triggered the patch install the explanation on the deployment re-evaluation tab states:

"Deployed software updates are reevaluated for installation status and reinstalled if they are still required and no longer found on clients. When using a custom schedule, evaluations initiate up to 2 hours after the start time to improve scalability."

Would it not be better stated by saying:

Deployed software updates are reevaluated for installation status and reinstalled or installed if they are required and not found on clients. When using a custom schedule, evaluations initiate up to 2 hours after the start time to improve scalability.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 3:11 PM

Answers

• I did check with dev, and the deployment re-evaluation schedule is to maintain compliance against deployments.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 3:54 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Here's what our docs state on this:

Use the Deployment Re-evaluation tab in the Configuration Manager 2007 Software Updates Client Agent Properties dialog box to configure how often the Software Updates Client Agent reevaluates software updates for installation status on Configuration Manager 2007 client computers. When software updates that have been previously installed are no longer found on client computers, and still required, they are reinstalled. The deployment reevaluation schedule should be adjusted based on company policy for software update compliance, whether users have the ability to uninstall software updates, and so on, and with the consideration that every deployment reevaluation cycle results in some network and client computer CPU activity.

See: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb693813.aspx

I have never heard that they are initially installed during that cycle, only reinstalled if previously installed, then removed.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 4:58 AM
    Owner
  • I did check with dev, and the deployment re-evaluation schedule is to maintain compliance against deployments.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 3:54 AM
    Owner
  • Thanks!!  That helps clarify.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 3:57 AM