none
How to create Dynamic Group based on user-defined criteria

Question

• Hi,
    I need to create Dynamic Groups based on user-supplied data, such as Location, BusinessPurpose, Prod/Dev, etc.  Do I need to create a new Attribute?  If so, does this Attribute only apply to Windows machines, as I will need the Attribute to work with other device types such as Unix servers & network devices.
    Thanks!
    Friday, August 21, 2009 3:19 PM

Answers

• SCOM provides fairly easy ways in the console to add a custom attribute onto an existing class, then populate the value of that attribute from the registry or WMI.
    Then you can create dynamic groups based on the value of the attribute.  Under the covers, it queries your attributes and creates the group-contains-members relationships.

There are more intricate ways to do this if you don't want to create a registry key everywhere, but they involve scripting to read your data source (database, text file, whatever) and manually create the group-contains-member relationship objects.  You're getting into the authoring console, and perhaps even XML editing to do that.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:16 PM

All replies

• Where is the user-supplied data stored?  You could write a script that queries an external database and creates the Containment relationship between group and group member.
    You could also use Custom Attributes and use the GroupCalc discovery to read those attributes.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 12:03 AM
  • Mike,
    I have not created a custom attribute, because I do not yet understand it.  In an attempt to create an Attribute it asked if I should read from the Registry or WMI.  This tells me that custom attributes are for Windows computers only?  And if I want to create an attribute for 'Location', does this mean I have to create a new registry key for each of our Windows computers?  Can you help explain?
    Thanks!
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:09 PM
  • The UI gives you just those two ways to "discover" the value of your custom attribute.  If it's not in the registry or WMI, you can still populate it, but not as easily. 

Where is your location data currently stored?  How would you want to feed it in so that SCOM knows which server is in which location?

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:03 PM
  • Mike,
    The Location information is not yet stored anywhere.  I just need to understand how SCOM attributes work, and if I must create a new registry key or WMI object in order to create a Dynamic View for devices in location xyz or location abc.  So I assume this will work only for Windows devices?  You mentioned another way to create an attribute?  Will this allow me to create dynamic views,utilizing new custom attributes, for device types other than Windows computers?
    Thank you for your help on this.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:29 PM
  • SCOM provides fairly easy ways in the console to add a custom attribute onto an existing class, then populate the value of that attribute from the registry or WMI.
    Then you can create dynamic groups based on the value of the attribute.  Under the covers, it queries your attributes and creates the group-contains-members relationships.

There are more intricate ways to do this if you don't want to create a registry key everywhere, but they involve scripting to read your data source (database, text file, whatever) and manually create the group-contains-member relationship objects.  You're getting into the authoring console, and perhaps even XML editing to do that.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:16 PM
  • "Mark as Answer", no activity for a month. Feel free to re-open this
    Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager | http://www.contoso.se
    Monday, November 23, 2009 10:32 PM